Mom Pins Down Fox That Bit Daughter

White Rain

Reaction score
Scary! Go MOM!!!!!!!!!!

LONDONDERRY, N.H - A mother kicked, chased and eventually pinned down a rabid fox that bit her 8-year-old daughter while the girl was on a swing set. Pamela Berube, 39, of Hudson, had taken her eldest daughter to a flute lesson at a private home in Londonderry on Thursday.
Her other two children, 8-year-old Deena and 10-year-old Joshua, were playing in the flute teacher's back yard when Berube heard a scream — "and it was not a regular scream," she said.
She ran outside to discover a fox chasing the children around the yard. Deena fell, and her mother kicked the fox away from her. (more @ link)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19254215/

OMG this would be my nightmare...i'm so proud of this mom!! Go MOM!! But in the article it says the fox tested positive for rabies and since the mom and daughter did get bit by the fox what does that mean for them now?

OMG this would be my nightmare...i'm so proud of this mom!! Go MOM!! But in the article it says the fox tested positive for rabies and since the mom and daughter did get bit by the fox what does that mean for them now?

wondering the same thing.....a series of shots or something?...that use to be the case, i THINK...

i saw a fox in the woods, off a trail i clean at work, last week....i had never seen one 'in person' before....i heard something rustling, & looked around & saw it...it ran as soon as i turned around.....yikes, didn't know they would chase folks....:(

I gotta tell you, as a man, if my wife pinned down a fox like that in an effort to protect her yougin's, I would be super attracted to her even more. Nothing sexier than a woman who exerts herself.

wondering the same thing.....a series of shots or something?...that use to be the case, i THINK...

i saw a fox in the woods, off a trail i clean at work, last week....i had never seen one 'in person' before....i heard something rustling, & looked around & saw it...it ran as soon as i turned around.....yikes, didn't know they would chase folks....:(

They will BOTH have to go through a series of very painful shots in their stomaches... Its like 30 shots.

If someone if bitten by any stray or wild animal and that animal is not caught ... The person has to endure the treatment as a precautionary measure as there is noway to test for rabies and once the symptoms become obvious it is to late to treat it.

Isn't that insane? You would think with all the improvments in the last 20 years in the medical field that a simple test for rabies would have been created by now.

[edit] Post-exposure prophylaxis

Treatment after exposure, known as post-exposure prophylaxis or "P.E.P.", is highly successful in preventing the disease if administered promptly, within fourteen days after infection. The first step is immediately washing the wound with soap and water, which is very effective at reducing the number of viral particles. In the United States, patients receive one dose of immunoglobulin and five doses of rabies vaccine over a twenty-eight day period. One-half the dose of immunoglobulin is injected in the region of the bite, if possible, with the remainder injected intramuscularly away from the bite. This is much less painful compared with administering immunoglobulin through the abdominal wall with a large needle, which is how it was done in the past. The first dose of rabies vaccine is given as soon as possible after exposure, with additional doses on days three, seven, fourteen, and twenty-eight after the first. Patients that have previously received pre-exposure vaccination do not receive the immunoglobulin, only the post-exposure vaccinations. Since the widespread vaccination of domestic dogs and cats and the development of effective human vaccines and immunoglobulin treatments, the number of recorded deaths in the U.S. from rabies has dropped from one hundred or more annually in the early twentieth century, to 1–2 per year, mostly caused by bat bites, which may go unnoticed by the victim and hence untreated.

Yes, it's not as many shots as it used to be. When I was 5 I was bitten by a rat - a bunch of us were crawling around in a construction site. Anyway while unlikely, it was either wait & see if I developed rabies or have the shots. 14 in the stomach & the immunoglobulin in the rear. I cried (and my doctor would carry me around after because he felt so bad about it) but it wasn't horrible or at least I didn't perceive it to be. And the reason the fox behaved as it did (chasing) WAS that he was rabid. Wild animals will generally flee if possible unless cornered or protecting babies.

My daughter had the shots two years ago after an encounter with a rabid bat. The immunoglobulin in the butt was painful because it is a huge dose. The remaining shots were no big deal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back