If she was scared why did she keep them?

graybar hotel

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Woman Killed by Her Own Pet Dog

CONNERSVILLE, Ind. (AP) - A 1-year-old dog turned on its owner, killing her with bites to her throat and arm, authorities said.

Phyllis G. Carroll, 63, bled to death after being mauled by one of her two black chow mix dogs Sunday, said Fayette County Coroner Joe Todd.

Carroll kept the dogs, a male and female from the same litter, in the yard behind her home. There were no witnesses, but Todd said authorities believed it was the male, the larger of the two, that attacked Carroll.

Continue here:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nat-gen/2007/jun/18/061804436.html

I cannot imagine keeping a dog I was afraid of.....
Any Dog that would attack the person who feeds it needs to be put down.

My husband had an aunt who had some pretty nasty dogs..
I refused to go to her house if they weren't put up.
They were viscious vile creatures and she was afraid of what they would do but at the same time she felt bad at the notion of putting them down.

I could not put the safety of my family above that over a dog.

I could see attemptig training, but most of the time by the time they are that old it takes a lot of training and consistent behavior modification. If you aren't up to the challenge it could be very dangerous to ignore.

I agree with you, no matter how guilty it made her feel she should have dealt with it. Now look, the poor lady is no longer with us and the dogs have been put to sleep.

They were probably largely ignored anyway being outdoors.

I cannot imagine keeping a dog I was afraid of.....
Any Dog that would attack the person who feeds it needs to be put down.

My husband had an aunt who had some pretty nasty dogs..
I refused to go to her house if they weren't put up.
They were viscious vile creatures and she was afraid of what they would do but at the same time she felt bad at the notion of putting them down.

I could not put the safety of my family above that over a dog.

I was the youngest child of my parents 4 daughters. We had two dogs so vicious that they had to be tied all the time. If off the leash they chased cars and attacked people. On the lease they lunged at us if we walked by.
It was the kids job to feed and water them. My parents were well educated
and had professional jobs. I cried daily thay they would get rid of these dogs. I was scared to death of them. We had them for years. Why? I dont have the foggiest idea.

Heard a story in the park from a Nanny, a couple had a baby and the dog attacked the baby. The baby lost an eye and the couple still kept the dog.

Good thing that I don't know them or else I would have some pretty harsh words to say. I got bit by a "friendly" family dog. I was a kid and "apparently" I was told by the adults that it was my fault.

Consequently the dog went to a "farm"(as we were told back then as we were kids and were not told the truth of course) when it started chasing joggers in the park and trying to bite them. He did actually bite one.

Never forget the bite, still have the scar and I was walking behind the dog and it doubled back to bite me. Four kids got rocks and sticks to get the dog to finally let go of my leg.

Your loved ones come way before an animal. A friends dog growled at our oldest. Never went back with the kids. You just can't trust some animals and less the owners. I feel so badly for this women and her family, I do.

Maybe part of the reason she was reluctant to give away the dogs was because they were a gift from a family member?

Graybar, I agree that these dogs sound like they were just left in the back yard. Which is very sad IMO.
I do not believe in leaving dogs out in the yard unless they are like farm dogs that prefer that as my Great pyrenese did.
They did not like coming into the house... it made them nervous and edgy whereas they were happy and comfortable out in the pasture.
On that note .....They were very sweet gentle dogs that we all took extreme precautions in socializing and making sure that despite their desire to stay outside they still recieved plenty of human interaction.

It says the dogs were chow mixes... I wonder what the mix was?
Although I know that Chows can be aggresive ... I don't recall ever hearing of one being aggressive towards its owner.
Typically they are fearcly protective of their owners and only show aggression towards other people.

she went out to give the dogs a treat. despite her fear it seems she tried to treat them well. the picture i saw showed a healthy dog. i have always been told dogs can smell fear and that can bring out aggressive instinct in them. i wonder if that is true and if it factors in here ?

she went out to give the dogs a treat. despite her fear it seems she tried to treat them well. the picture i saw showed a healthy dog. i have always been told dogs can smell fear and that can bring out aggressive instinct in them. i wonder if that is true and if it factors in here ?

I have heard the same in regaurds to all animals.

I do not believe in leaving dogs out in the yard unless they are like farm dogs that prefer that as my Great pyrenese did.
They did not like coming into the house... it made them nervous and edgy whereas they were happy and comfortable out in the pasture.
On that note .....They were very sweet gentle dogs that we all took extreme precautions in socializing and making sure that despite their desire to stay outside they still recieved plenty of human interaction.

I can see your big white dogs in my mind in the rolling green pasture and it is lovely. I am sure they had a nice bed and all of the comforts of a house dog with the freedom of the great outdoors. There certainly are dogs and cats who prefer to be outdoors and it is up to us to decide if that is the best place for them.

Thanks for the beautiful thought,
Graybar

Hi everybody, I've been lurking here for a couple of years, and you guys are definitely on top of things here. Anyways, I just wanted to say that when i clicked on this thread, I had no idea what it was about, and as uncommon a name as Phyllis Carroll is, that is my mothers name! Imagine my surprise, and thank God it's not her! Well I'm better now, wow what a scare. I think I'll call my mom in the morning. Goodnight everyone.

I can see your big white dogs in my mind in the rolling green pasture and it is lovely. I am sure they had a nice bed and all of the comforts of a house dog with the freedom of the great outdoors. There certainly are dogs and cats who prefer to be outdoors and it is up to us to decide if that is the best place for them.

Thanks for the beautiful thought,
Graybar

Thanks Graybar... They had a very large house!!
Larger then most peoples bedrooms.
I really did try to encourage them to come inside but it really scared them.

A welcome to Duckfeet and MrMan!!

Duckfeet that story you posted really bothered me...
I cannot imagine.
The only mean dog I can recall as a child (actually there is 2)
My grandmother had a pekingnese (sp?) who despised me for a very long time... It was not mean to anyone else but I was probably the first small child it had ever met and it would chase me and bite my ankles.
I am pretty sure that only happend once or twice because she escaped the room. She did outgrow her dislike of me and after that you could not keep her away from me.
My uncle had some rather aggressive german shepards but they were kept safely away from people... He was very cautious about it and I was never permitted near them.

I have had several experiences with mean dogs. My hubby wonders why I still love them so much. Here are a few of the stories.

My cousin had a dalmation mix named Tyson that attacked me a few years ago. I was on the church bus with my sons and other kids when we stopped to pick her daughter up.I walked past him and spoke and patted him on the head like I always did. Only this time when I turned my back he attacked me, he sunk his teeth into my thigh, behind, and hip and he had his paws around my waist trying to drag me down. He literally ripped my pants apart. My aunt jumped out the van and my cousin who had heard my screams came running and managed to make him release me. I was swollen, bruised, and sore for weeks! Turns out he had lunged at one of the kids on the bus the week before when he was tied out but she managed to stay out of his way. My cousin promised she was going to have him put down, but she couldn't go through with it and she still has him.

When my son was 2, we walked my older son to the bus stop when out of no where, this dog who belonged to one of the kids at the bus stop, lunged at my baby and latched onto his head. It took 5 of us beating him with sticks and a pipe for him to let go. Luckily my son wasn't badly hurt. We took him to the ER and they cleaned the puncture wounds on each side of his head, and had the dog picked up to be put in quarantine. To this day my son has the marks on each side of his head where the hair doesn't grow.

That's awful! I just could never keep a dog that growled or showed any aggressive behaviors. Some breeds just are more aggressive by nature than others, regardless of how well they are treated. Some do not do well with small children or other animals. I would just like to suggest that before anyone gets a dog, research the breed. That cute little puppy could grow into a monster. It's not worth the heartache. I'm a big advocate of adopting a pet from a rescue if you are unsure about what breed of dog to get. Most are very knowlegeable about the breed they rescue. A good rescue will test the dog with children, other animals, get spayed/neutered and will match the dog's personality to the family. You will pretty much get the perfect dog on day one.

Teon's OMG how scary to have that happen to your baby!!!

Your story reminded me about a time I lived in Miami..
The children were little..
I had one holding onto the stroller, one in the stroller and one a material baby carrier used to wear them. I also had our 100 lb golden retriever on his leash.
This nasty doberman pincher, who the owners KNEW was aggresive was lose in the neighborhood.
He came out of nowhere, took the attack stance .... I told my son not to look at him and I averted my gaze as well and continued to walk at the same pace .... Somehow we managed to get back to our condo..
I did not let my dog look in that direction either.

I called animal control out and they told me how lucky I was as just the week before the dog had attacked a little girl!
They cited the owners yet again and I went and told them that the next time I see that dog lose I was going to take out hubby's gun and kill it.
I was serious too.
I never saw him lose again.

Just yesterday in Deltona, Florida, an older woman was mauled to death by pit bulls--I think the dogs belonged to her sister

That's awful! I just could never keep a dog that growled or showed any aggressive behaviors. Some breeds just are more aggressive by nature than others, regardless of how well they are treated. Some do not do well with small children or other animals. I would just like to suggest that before anyone gets a dog, research the breed. That cute little puppy could grow into a monster. It's not worth the heartache. I'm a big advocate of adopting a pet from a rescue if you are unsure about what breed of dog to get. Most are very knowlegeable about the breed they rescue. A good rescue will test the dog with children, other animals, get spayed/neutered and will match the dog's personality to the family. You will pretty much get the perfect dog on day one.
This is really sound advice,SadieMae... great respect to you...you know your animals and their temperaments well...
If either of my two bit anyone I would not keep them...especially a child. I always supervise my two with visitors as it is not worth taking the chance....
Surely the woman knew the dog was unpredictable.... what a terrible conclusion.

I have a friend who is a mail carrier.. One day on her route after putting mail in a customers box she was attacked by the owners dog.. A worker unknowingly let the dog past him as he was leaving the house.. The dog viciously attacked my friend, biting her legs and arms.. He then knocked her to the ground biting her face and throat.. If not for an old man who came running to help her she may have been killed.. He beat the dog off of her with his cane.. He fortunately was not hurt by helping her..
My friend was in shock from the loss of blood and spent many days in the hospital and has had numerous surgeries..
The owners, one a lawyer and the other a dentist have refused to put the dog down saying it has never attacked or shown any aggression before this.. I am the biggest animal lover around and have had many dogs over the years but I would never let an animal who was so vicious live one day past the attack..
My friend is back delivering mail but is so fearful everyday that it could happen again.. Just recently she was walking her own dog and heard the sound of a dog running loose behing her and she said she just froze, her heart was pounding and she thought she was going to faint.. The dog was running loose but not mean and was with a jogger.. The jogger realized that the dog scared her and helped her to her car.. She sat in her car and cried for 20 minutes before she could get herself composed to drive home.. Dogs are beautiful animals and I can never see my living without one but like people some are bad and need to be put down..

That is so sad about your friend, I am so glad the jogger stopped and helped her. It was positive reinforcement that some folks and their dogs are nice and helpufl.

That man and his cane really helped out. I am so glad he showed up when he did and didn't hesitate to get involved.

The owners of that dog need some serious help. I am shocked that animal care didn't impound the dog and make a recommendation for it to be put down.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back