FL FL - Brent Smith, 24, missing from cruise ship, 18 June 2007

Shadow205

Reaction score
MIAMI — A Royal Caribbean cruise ship turned around Monday to help authorities search for a passenger who was reported missing, according to a statement from the company.
The 24-year-old unidentified man was last seen on a balcony in his room aboard the Freedom of the Seas about 1:45 a.m. Monday, according to the Royal Caribbean statement. He was reported missing at about 8:30 a.m.
The man was on the cruise with his family. The ship, which was carrying 4,141 passengers, was sailing from Miami to San Juan before it turned around to assist in the search.

more at the link http://www.palmbeachpost.com/state/content/gen/ap/FL_Missing_Cruise_Passenger.html

At least the cruise shop turned around.

Yes, their boat is so advanced the shop can detach itself from the ship in an effort to help search for missing people. The only drawback to the technology is they have to jettison all of that wonderful duty-free cologne and alcohol. :crazy:

Something has to be done. Too many people are going overboard.......there is either a criminal element involved, in which case a serious investigation needs to begin pronto, OR all these cases are caused by accidents, in which case those balconies may need to be redesigned.

It's ridiculous to just let this keep happening, and not a darn thing is being done to prevent it from happening again.

Something has to be done. Too many people are going overboard.......there is either a criminal element involved, in which case a serious investigation needs to begin pronto, OR all these cases are caused by accidents, in which case those balconies may need to be redesigned.

It's ridiculous to just let this keep happening, and not a darn thing is being done to prevent it from happening again.

Or people can take personal responsibility for themselves and refrain from getting trashed on cruises.

I don't think the balconies need to be redesigned...
People need to stop thinking they are immortal and sitting on the railing.

I agree with Paladin.

I'm going to have to go with leaving the balconies alone. If you plan to drink a lot, I'd get an inside room or one with just a porthole. I'm terrified of heights, but even I wasn't afraid to look over the railings, as they were chest high. I don't see how you could fall over.

I'm not discounting that some of the disappearances may have had a criminal element, but I'm sure some of them are just accidents caused by someone being foolish.

Or people can take personal responsibility for themselves and refrain from getting trashed on cruises.

That too, Paladin, but I am remembering cases where the people who disappeared were not reported to be intoxicated previous to the disappearance----an elderly Japanese couple, for example.

If 100% of the cases were drunks, I guess we could blame the drinkers---but if people are going overboard for no discernable reason, then I don't think it is unrealistic to think the cruise lines should pony up and find out what the heck they can do to make things better.

THIS ship turned around quickly, others have not. There also needs to be an SOP that all cruise lines MUST follow when someone goes overboard. It has been reported that some cruise lines have employees with criminal backgrounds, including sexual attacks. I think THAT needs to stop! So it's not just the balcony situation I think needs to be looked at. (Maybe I just don't like cruise lines too much, huh?)

That too, Paladin, but I am remembering cases where the people who disappeared were not reported to be intoxicated previous to the disappearance----an elderly Japanese couple, for example.

If 100% of the cases were drunks, I guess we could blame the drinkers---but if people are going overboard for no discernable reason, then I don't think it is unrealistic to think the cruise lines should pony up and find out what the heck they can do to make things better.

THIS ship turned around quickly, others have not. There also needs to be an SOP that all cruise lines MUST follow when someone goes overboard. It has been reported that some cruise lines have employees with criminal backgrounds, including sexual attacks. I think THAT needs to stop! So it's not just the balcony situation I think needs to be looked at. (Maybe I just don't like cruise lines too much, huh?)

I'll tell you what. I won't pay top dollar to go on a cruise and have to enjoy the scenery behind a giant glass partition because some people either got drunk and fell overboard or because security is undermanned on a cruise ship.

There has to be a technology out there (or if there is one, find something better), that can alert the crew that someone has fallen overboard.

I think there are all kinds of reasons people "geaux" overboard.

1. they fall
2. they get drunk and fall
3. they commit suicide (elderly die together on romantic cruise....)
4. murder

It happens. Not all for the same reason. And one of the main reasons I've heard for taking a cruise: "You can drink as much as you want and not have to worry about driving." I'm with the 'don't punish the most of us for the few idiots' crowd. Accidents, suicide, and murder.....kinda hard to control. :twocents:

I think there are all kinds of reasons people "geaux" overboard.

1. they fall
2. they get drunk and fall
3. they commit suicide (elderly die together on romantic cruise....)
4. murder

It happens. Not all for the same reason. And one of the main reasons I've heard for taking a cruise: "You can drink as much as you want and not have to worry about driving." I'm with the 'don't punish the most of us for the few idiots' crowd. Accidents, suicide, and murder.....kinda hard to control. :twocents:
--"they commit suicide(elderly die together on romantic cruise)"---Maybe its just me, but committing suicide together doesn't sound very romantic, I can think of a few things a lot more romantic than that :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back