Vatican releases 10 Commandments for Drivers

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
The "Drivers' Ten Commandments," as listed by the document, are:

1. You shall not kill.

2. The road shall be for you a means of communion between people and not of mortal harm.

3. Courtesy, uprightness and prudence will help you deal with unforeseen events.

4. Be charitable and help your neighbor in need, especially victims of accidents.

5. Cars shall not be for you an expression of power and domination, and an occasion of sin.

6. Charitably convince the young and not so young not to drive when they are not in a fitting condition to do so.

7. Support the families of accident victims.

8. Bring guilty motorists and their victims together, at the appropriate time, so that they can undergo the liberating experience of forgiveness.

9. On the road, protect the more vulnerable party.

10. Feel responsible toward others.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/world/4902582.html

I'm sorry but doesn't the Vatican have better things to do with their time? Or is this a joke?

I'm sorry but doesn't the Vatican have better things to do with their time? Or is this a joke?

This is hardly a waste of their time! :slap: Maybe when you are an accident victim, directly or indirectly, you will realize that. If you already have been, then you should know better. :slap: again.

This is no joke but its pretty useless--"help people that have accidents'--well, that's nice but I've read of dozens of times where people sometimes stage accidents,especially at night, for purposes of robbery and worse--An entire family was shot to death in New Mexico for stopping to help someone one night--case still haunts me--It was an escaped prisoner, but luckily he eventually died an agonizing death in the desert from lack of water--The true crime book is called "Final Rampage"---anyway,everybody has cellphones these days,so if you see an accident, just call it in, don't stop,especially if its a rural area late at night

This is hardly a waste of their time! :slap: Maybe when you are an accident victim, directly or indirectly, you will realize that. If you already have been, then you should know better. :slap: again.

I think it's a waste of their time. I have been an accident victim several times, and their 10 commandments wouldn't have improved upon any of the situations. Most of it is common sense and if that's not enough, follow through on what your insurance agent and/or the police officer says.

What other areas has the Vatican written commandments for? Marriage? How to raise your children? (Seriously, I'd like to know.)

This is no joke but its pretty useless--"help people that have accidents'--well, that's nice but I've read of dozens of times where people sometimes stage accidents,especially at night, for purposes of robbery and worse--An entire family was shot to death in New Mexico for stopping to help someone one night--case still haunts me--It was an escaped prisoner, but luckily he eventually died an agonizing death in the desert from lack of water--The true crime book is called "Final Rampage"---anyway,everybody has cellphones these days,so if you see an accident, just call it in, don't stop,especially if its a rural area late at night

Helping accident victims would include calling for help on a cell phone. They didn't say be stupid about it. And helping the victims of accidents can mean during their recovery at home or the hospital, as well.

Helping accident victims would include calling for help on a cell phone. They didn't say be stupid about it. And helping the victims of accidents can mean during their recovery at home or the hospital, as well.

I do this all the time and I guess I figured others did as well. It's common decency.

I just don't get why the Vatican felt the need to write these, that's all.

I do this all the time and I guess I figured others did as well. It's common decency.

I just don't get why the Vatican felt the need to write these, that's all.

Common sense isn't so common these days. It's great that you already do everything on that list, but many would not. I see nothing wrong with the reminder. It will make me think next time I drive, I imagine.

Common sense isn't so common these days. It's great that you already do everything on that list, but many would not. I see nothing wrong with the reminder. It will make me think next time I drive, I imagine.

Then it should be published as a "reminder" then, not as commandments. To me that mocks the original Ten Commandments which did not originate from the Vatican. If an insurance company wrote these, I don't think I would be as offended.

Just my opinion. I appreciate you answering my questions, Dark Knight!

Then it should be published as a "reminder" then, not as commandments. To me that mocks the original Ten Commandments which did not originate from the Vatican. If an insurance company wrote these, I don't think I would be as offended.

Just my opinion. I appreciate you answering my questions, Dark Knight!

It was issued by a lower office of the Vatican. It is possible the Pope never even read them or approved them, according to one article I read. The secretary who issued it knew some people wouldn't like calling them the 10 commandments, but didn't sound like he meant any harm.

ETA: I didn't know you were offended by the title. You shoulda said so! :blowkiss:

I always pray when Im driving..I pray for the idiots in front of me who wont get in the right lane and for the rude person who took the park that had MY name on it.......I also pray for useless drivers who dont know how to use an indictator and for for drivers who obviously got their liscense out of a cornflake packet.....I could write 10 commandments for drivers and I think mine would be a bit different from the Popes version:D

I don't think it's a waste of time and I think the "play on words" is cool.

Much religious instruction centers around trying to make us humans remember common sense!

I think most drivers are already aware of these rules and duty of care.....whether some up hold them or not is another thing ..I dont know that commandments from the Vatican will change the minds of some of the idiots that travell our roads.
Im guily of breaking commandment #5 many times.....should I now be feeling guilty or praying for myself:rolleyes: ....I dont think so.

It was issued by a lower office of the Vatican. It is possible the Pope never even read them or approved them, according to one article I read. The secretary who issued it knew some people wouldn't like calling them the 10 commandments, but didn't sound like he meant any harm.

ETA: I didn't know you were offended by the title. You shoulda said so! :blowkiss:

I don't think I realized that till I thought about it more! lol I would be equally as offended if my synod (LCMS) spent time on something like this.

Is there anything in those commandments about not hopping on the back of the pope-mobile while the Pope is in it? :D

I think most drivers are already aware of these rules and duty of care.....whether some up hold them or not is another thing ..I dont know that commandments from the Vatican will change the minds of some of the idiots that travell our roads.
Im guily of breaking commandment #5 many times.....should I now be feeling guilty or praying for myself:rolleyes: ....I dont think so.

I didn't know if that meant "in the back seat" or not. I think we better feel guilt AND start praying for our sorry selves.

I just thought of something. We can add the words "in bed" after these commandments (or maybe "in the backseat") like some do for fortune cookie fortunes. :D

I don't think I realized that till I thought about it more! lol I would be equally as offended if my synod (LCMS) spent time on something like this.

Is there anything in those commandments about not hopping on the back of the pope-mobile while the Pope is in it? :D

LOL! That's generally frowned upon, too, lol! As that fine gentleman found out. :D

I didn't know if that meant "in the back seat" or not. I think we better feel guilt AND start praying for our sorry selves.

I just thought of something. We can add the words "in bed" after these commandments (or maybe "in the backseat") like some do for fortune cookie fortunes. :D
Thats exactly what I meant Taximom:p ..Im doulbly damned now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back