Naked Couple Falls 50 Feet From Rooftop to Their Deaths

17th century French poets called an orgasm "la petite morte," or "the little death."

Not so petite in this case.

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Police on Wednesday were investigating how a naked couple fell 50 feet from the roof of a downtown office building to their deaths.
The bodies were found on the road by a passing cabdriver around 5 a.m. Wednesday.
Clothing was discovered on the roof, leading authorities to suspect the man and woman, in their early 20s, may have been having sex. Their identities were not released.
"It's too early to rule out anything," Columbia police Sgt. Florence McCants said, but McCants said a preliminary investigation didn't show any sign of foul play.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,284955,00.html

Oh my, what a way to go.

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Police on Wednesday were investigating how a naked couple fell 50 feet from the roof of a downtown office building to their deaths.
The bodies were found on the road by a passing cabdriver around 5 a.m. Wednesday.
Clothing was discovered on the roof, leading authorities to suspect the man and woman, in their early 20s, may have been having sex. Their identities were not released.
"It's too early to rule out anything," Columbia police Sgt. Florence McCants said, but McCants said a preliminary investigation didn't show any sign of foul play.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,284955,00.html

Oh my, what a way to go.

There's a thread here, Shadow! http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50544

It is a wild story.

Sorry Southcitymom, I didn't see the other thread. Yes it is a wild story.

Well, this is really an unusual story, but all joking aside,these two young people died an awful death, probably a bloody mess on the ground--I'm sure their relatives don't think what happened to them is funny at all

Well, this is really an unusual story, but all joking aside,these two young people died an awful death, probably a bloody mess on the ground--I'm sure their relatives don't think what happened to them is funny at all

You are right, of course, Peter. But I don't know them and never will. A little gallows humor on a true-crime site is to be expected, I think.

(ETA: and if someday somebody gets a chuckle out of MY demise, good on them!)

You are right, of course, Peter. But I don't know them and never will. A little gallows humor on a true-crime site is to be expected, I think.

(ETA: and if someday somebody gets a chuckle out of MY demise, good on them!)

.....planning the quips already in my mind.....but of course, it all depends on HOW you leave us, dear Nova! ;)

On a more serious note, I do often wonder how families react to bizarre or naughty deaths. Of course - they grieve and the loss is unimaginable, but what's it like to explain the "why" of some of these cases to well-intentioned questioners.

.....planning the quips already in my mind.....but of course, it all depends on HOW you leave us, dear Nova! ;)

On a more serious note, I do often wonder how families react to bizarre or naughty deaths. Of course - they grieve and the loss is unimaginable, but what's it like to explain the "why" of some of these cases to well-intentioned questioners.

At least some embrace the humor. A cousin of mine was killed during WWII when his training plane, called a "Hedge Hopper," malfunctioned and crashed. My folks always referred to the incident with these words: "Poor Albert died when he couldn't make it over the hedge."

When my aunt called to tell me my beloved grandfather had died, she said he went out to walk his favorite dog and then laid down beside the animal and died. My immediate response: "Well, I hope that dog was well fed."

There was a spate of deaths in Manhattan in the late 70s from pieces of old buildings breaking off and raining on pedestrians. We were all making lists of ridiculous deaths for awhile and Stephen Sondheim even commemorated the events with a lyric ("Bricks can fall out of clear blue skies.") for his song, "Now You Know."

Recognizing the absurdity of death only reinforces the fragility, and therefore the preciousness, of life.

(Confidential to SCM: given the recent camping tragedy in Utah, I've been dying to post "Stephen Colbert was right!" But I didn't think flippancy would be appreciated, under the circumstances.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back