Thread: CA - Lucinda Schaefer, 17, Torrance, 24 June 1979

CA - Lucinda Schaefer, 17, Torrance, 24 June 1979

Lucinda Lynn Schaefer

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: June 24, 1979 from Torrance, California
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    Date of Birth: July 9, 1962
    Height and Weight: 5'4, 115 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Schaefer's nickname is Cindy.
    Clothing/Jewelry Description: Dark blue jeans and a white blouse with black Mexican-style embroidery.

Details of Disappearance
    Schaefer was abducted from Torrance, California, on June 24, 1979. She was last seen walking back to her grandmother's house from a Christian youth meeting at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in Torrance. When she was missed and people searched for her, they only found one of her shoes alongside the road. Later in 1979, Lawrence Bittaker and Roy Norris were arrested and eventually convicted of murdering Schaefer and several other young women, including Andrea Hall. Photographs of the two men are posted below this case summary. Norris and Bittaker had driven around California in their silver 1977 GMC cargo van, which they nicknamed "Murder Mac," and abducted, raped and killed a large number of women. Norris and Bittaker admitted to kidnapping and raping Schaefer and to dumping her body in a remote gorge, but each man blamed the other one for strangling her. She was their first known victim. Norris testified against Bittaker in exchange for a life sentence; Bittaker was sentenced to death. He is awaiting execution. Schaefer and Hall's remains have never been found.

Bittaker:

Norris:

Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    California Department of Justice
    Missing and Unidentified Persons Unit
    916-227-3290

http://charleyproject.org/cases/s/schaefer_lucinda.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lostwithoutyou For This Useful Post:

Kat

Today, June 24, 2007, marks the twenty-eighth anniversary of Lucinda's disappearance. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. If you have any information on the disappearance of Lucinda Schaefer, please call the California Department of Justice Missing and Unidentified Persons Unit at 916-227-3290 or your local police department (you can remain annonymous).

30 years have passed...

Has anyone heard of any developments or updates? Any 30 year anniversary stories?

In Pennsylvania, but wishing she was some place else.
    Lucinda's story is so sad. She was such a beautiful young woman. Are there any updates?
    Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude. It's because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them."
    — Jodi Picoult (My Sister's Keeper)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to theforgotten For This Useful Post:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...schaefer&hl=en

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...schaefer&hl=en

There is some coverage for Bittaker on Youtube but I'm not going to post it here. This thread is for Lucinda "Cindy".

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

I was talking with a friend and his wife a couple of weeks ago, and his wife said that she was from Redondo Union High School, class of 1979. I asked her if she remembered Lucinda Schaefer, and she replied that she did. She said that Lucinda was a couple of years younger than she was, but she remembered her as being very nice to everyone, and was involved in school activities. She said that shortly after her disappearance, signs were posted on the high school campus in her memory.

Today, I decided to stop by the Redondo Union High School library to see if I could find her photo in the 1978 or 1979 yearbooks (Classmates.com doesn't have those two books). I was hoping to find a better photo of her than the one that is shown in DoeNet and Charley Project. But surprisingly, I couldn't find her photo in either book. All I could find was two boys with the surname Schaefer, and one of them was blonde haired like Lucinda was.

I noticed this thread on NamUs/Doe Network that sounded like the UID, who was found on January 26, 1980 could possibly be Lucinda. The unidentified young woman is estimated to be between 17 and 35 with long blonde hair. The Doe Network gives a bit more information, estimating her height at 5'5" and describing the circumstances of her discovery as --
    The victim was located in Los Angeles County, California on January 26, 1980 at approx. 13.00 in a river bed, north of Magic Mountain Parkway west of the Old Road.
    https://identifyus.org/en/cases/4388
    http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1458.html

Not a lot to go on, but I noticed this UID and thought that this could be Lucinda because I think (I could be wrong about that because I have not read about them as much as some of the other serial killers of that time and location) Norris and Bittiker dumped some of their other victims near the area where this UID was found (a mountain side @ Pacific Coast Highway & Topanga Canyon Blvd. in Los Angeles)?

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/4383

Quote Originally Posted by Ambercat View Post
    Not a lot to go on, but I noticed this UID and thought that this could be Lucinda because I think (I could be wrong about that because I have not read about them as much as some of the other serial killers of that time and location) Norris and Bittiker dumped some of their other victims near the area where this UID was found (a mountain side @ Pacific Coast Highway & Topanga Canyon Blvd. in Los Angeles)?

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/4383

The Harley Davidson earrings would seem quite inconsistent with the image that I get from Lucinda. She was a very modest schoolgirl who was involved with school activities and with her church.

My understanding is that Lucinda (In addition to Jackie Gilliam and Leah Lamp) were taken to the San Gabriel mountains in the vicinity of Angeles Crest Highway. Lynette Ledford was also taken there, but after murdering her, they drove to Hermosa Beach and dumped her body on the front lawn of a randomly selected home.

From what I understand, Andrea Hall may have been dumped in a different location from where they took Schaffer, Gilliam, Lamp, and Ledford. She also fits the description, and is the right height (5'7"), and from what you can see of her front teeth, they appear to fit the "tapered" description. But I have no way of knowing if she was into the biker scene (to correspond to the UID's Harley Davidson earrings).

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hall_andrea.html
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-26-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    The Harley Davidson earrings would seem quite inconsistent with the image that I get from Lucinda. She was a very modest schoolgirl who was involved with school activities and with her church.

My understanding is that Lucinda (In addition to Jackie Gilliam and Leah Lamp) were taken to the San Gabriel mountains in the vicinity of Angeles Crest Highway. Lynette Ledford was also taken there, but after murdering her, they drove to Hermosa Beach and dumped her body on the front lawn of a randomly selected home.

From what I understand, Andrea Hall may have been dumped in a different location from where they took Schaffer, Gilliam, Lamp, and Ledford. She also fits the description, and is the right height (5'7"), and from what you can see of her front teeth, they appear to fit the "tapered" description. But I have no way of knowing if she was into the biker scene (to correspond to the UID's Harley Davidson earrings).

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hall_andrea.html
    I went back through the listing for NamUs UP #4383 and can't find a reference to Harley Davidson earrings (there isn't very much information available except about her teeth). I didn't realize that she was also listed on the Doe Network when I first posted this with more information (about the earring, brown hair, and a possible shoe size (8-9)) http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1456.html

She does sound more consistent with Andrea Hall, though, except for the part about the brown hair.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ambercat For This Useful Post: