695 users online (85 members and 610 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tahoe Wildfire Destroys At Least 165 Buildings

(AP) SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. A wind-whipped wildfire destroyed at least 165 homes and other structures and scorched close to 2,000 acres just southwest of Lake Tahoe on Sunday, fire officials said.

El Dorado County Sheriff's Lt. Kevin House said the fire is less than 5 percent contained, but no injuries or deaths have been reported. The cause of the fire is still unknown.

"This thing is raging out of control, and there's no estimate as to when that may change," House said.

House said there are 500 more homes in the fire's path, and the El Dorado County Board of Supervisors has issued a declaration of emergency. Also, firefighters are protecting South Tahoe High School, which is threatened because it is located downhill from the site of the fire.

http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_175185513.html

I've been watching this all evening and its just getting worse!

Liz is offline I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
    Saw that reported earlier on news, and thought how awful for all those affected. Fires --- a scary thing!

Sorry to hear about this fire, hope your firefighters can contain the fire before it causes anymore damage to buildings, and prevent injuries to the people who live there.

My prayers are with the People of South Lake Tahoe.

Quote Originally Posted by adnoid View Post
    This is going to be very bad. I live in Reno and the smoke has been very visible despite the distance. Fires have been suppressed in the Tahoe basin for a long time and there is a lot of fuel up there.
    Oh dear. This is bad.

Yep. Latest word is 2,500 acres and 220 structures:

Local News Story

Driving into the office (Carson City) this morning the smoke is very visible. In fact, the sky is orange.
    I cannot believe it. That is a lot of damage and nowhere near contained.
    I do have a project in the area, but no sticks in the air yet..so I won't have problems. This is just awful.

Carp, I forgot my partner keeps a house on the property we are building on. I have no idea if it is in the line of fire or not.

I just called my oldest girlfriend (known each other for 65 yrs)........who live's in South Lake Tahoe, spoke to her 94 yr. old mom and she say's they think they'll get the fire under control today. They're about 6 miles South of the fire and they live on the 2500 block of Cris Street.

The house's that have burned down are in a very exclusive part of So. Tahoe. My girlfriend's mom said that all the "Rich and famous" live there.

xxxxxxxooooo
    mama

I am so hoping they get this under control. It's about 1 mile south of our vacation cabin and burning to the north, so it's headed right for our place if they don't stop it. My husband has been going to the cabin since he was 10 years old, he's 50 now. It would be the end of an era for our family and friends. So many good times had there. It makes me sick! It won't get to our cabin until it is less than a half mile from the lake shore. Cross all your appendages and pray if so inclined.

Its a shame to see this--Lake Tahoe is one of the most beautiful areas in California--lets hope they stop it quick before it does any more damage

I feel like I'm going to be physically sick! It's only 9 (very small) blocks from our vacation cabin now. This is so awful. That area is so beautiful, and now it's going to be devestated. Even if the cabin doesn't burn, it will be terrible. I feel so bad for everyone losing their homes. I am having the worst visions of what's happening.

Liz is offline I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
    Praying the fire doesn't reach your place, Shadow!

They have all the highways into the area closed for now, so we won't even know for awhile. As long as they can stop it at highway 89, the cabin will be safe.

Some interesting info.

I lived in Incline Village for years. Despite what the article says, there's a lot of stuff that would burn all over the place. Just like South Shore, if a big fire gets started it will be a real task to put it out.
    The beetle infestation is what did us in here in the Big Bear area. Interesting info.
    I was able to track down the info..the property is 5 miles away so it is all good.
    How far is it in relation to Heavenly, Adnoid? That is about the extent of my Tahoe knowledge as I have a time share there and only go up to snowboard.

Thanks for all the info.

It's at least 5 miles from Heavenly, but less than 10.

If I describe the burning area as South of the Tahoe Keys and West of the little airport, and essentially on the East shore of Fallen Leaf lake, can you picture it?
    Yes and actually your map is helpful too.
    This is so awful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I feel like I'm going to be physically sick! It's only 9 (very small) blocks from our vacation cabin now. This is so awful. That area is so beautiful, and now it's going to be devestated. Even if the cabin doesn't burn, it will be terrible. I feel so bad for everyone losing their homes. I am having the worst visions of what's happening.

Oh Shadow I will say a prayer that all will be well with your cabin..

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    They have all the highways into the area closed for now, so we won't even know for awhile. As long as they can stop it at highway 89, the cabin will be safe.
    I am so sorry Shadow. I went through this with my Big Bear home a few years ago. I did not know until it was over if it was affected. It wasn't , but many homes in Arrowhead were
    Good luck Shadow.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast