Mom Makes Daughter Wear "Bad Behavior" Signs On Busy Street

White Rain

Reaction score
Seems like more and more parents are doing this these days. This mom is even making her child wear this to church though! Thats a new one!

MEMPHIS, Tennessee — A Tennessee mother fed up with her daughter's misbehavior took an unusual tack in for latest punishment, making her stand on a busy street corner with an attention-getting sign.
Tashara Wilkins, 13, held a sign Sunday reading, "I don't obey my parents, I'm a liar. I steal from my mom. I have a bad attitude."
"All other resources haven't worked, so I'm making her be publicly humiliated today," mother Cherie Wilkins told WMC-TV in Memphis. "I hope this works for her. I love my child. ... I could be beating her to death, but I'm not."
She said her daughter's bad attitude Sunday morning led to the public display.
Tashara said having to wear her offenses was eye-opening.
"It might even work," she said. "I'm gonna start (behaving better) because I don't want to be standing out here with everybody looking at me like I'm crazy with this sign."
The mother said her daughter would go to church Tuesday night wearing the sign.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,286676,00.html

Although I don't necessarily agree with publicly humiliating my children, I feel if that's what she needs to do to turn this girl around...more power to her. At least she is doing something beside letting her run wild and giving up.

IMO, the message to the child is:
Mom is desperate and powerless.

I would never even have considered such a tactic.
SM, I agree that it is probably better than nothing, but still and all it is just not the way to go IMO.

SM, I agree that it is probably better than nothing, but still and all it is just not the way to go IMO.

A kid isn't going to come to that conclusion at that age.

I personally have no problem with a mom doing this.
Creative parenting is much better then the abuse we read of...
Life is about behaving properly so that you do not embarrass yourself so I do not think this is different....

That all being said I would question how this girl became such a problem to begin with.

I personally have no problem with a mom doing this.
Creative parenting is much better then the abuse we read of...
Life is about behaving properly so that you do not embarrass yourself so I do not think this is different....

That all being said I would question how this girl became such a problem to begin with.
It must go with being a teenager. I have a friend whos daughter was the perfect child, no kidding PERFECT! All that changed when she was 14. Talk about Dr. Jekyll / Mr Hyde! She was at her wits end trying to figure out where she went wrong with her. Fortunately she calmed down at 19, finished HS and went on to college. Married with 2 kids now, and the perfect mother. So even the best parents can have problems with their kids that have nothing to do with their parenting skills.

The mom can't be too powerless...she is making her wear the sign after all.

The mom can't be too powerless...she is making her wear the sign after all.
Well, if she had power, she wouldn't have to resort to humiliation, IMO.
Just looks like a sad desperate attempt to gain control. JMHO of course.

I couldn't imgine my parents doing this to any of their 8 children and we gave them a run for their money.:angel: It is my parents parenting that I use to guide me in my own parenting. So far so good.
We all use our own parents as a guide, wheter it is to mirror it or to do the opposite, but to a certain degree it is the only roadmap we have.
So perhaps this parent learned this technique from her mom and it left an impression on her. Maybe that is where she is drawing her parenting power.
I just cannot relate to it, on any level. But that does not make her wrong and me right, just makes us very very differnt.

Yep, good ole public humiliation, that should work. :mad::furious::banghead:
NOT!

Maybe the mom should enroll in some parenting classes.

Look, when I was in 9th grade I got busted skipping school. My dad threatened to take me to the bus stop, belt in hand, and wear my a$$ out when the bus stopped to let all the kids (over 20 of them) off. I never skipped school again. He would have done it too.
Now of course I would never want to humiliate my kid...but if all else failed I'd damned sure try. Especially since I know it worked for me. Maybe this mom was done this way as a teen herself, and found it to work on her also.

Look, when I was in 9th grade I got busted skipping school. My dad threatened to take me to the bus stop, belt in hand, and wear my a$$ out when the bus stopped to let all the kids (over 20 of them) off. I never skipped school again. He would have done it too.
Now of course I would never want to humiliate my kid...but if all else failed I'd damned sure try. Especially since I know it worked for me. Maybe this mom was done this way as a teen herself, and found it to work on her also.
Sounds like we are in agreement. that's pretty much what i said. We all use our own parents as a yardstick.

Sounds like we are in agreement. that's pretty much what i said. We all use our own parents as a yardstick.

Yea, as a yardstick of what, or what NOT to do. I didn't have a great homelife, but thankfully I am NOT repeating most of the things my parents did.

As parents we have to be creative in helping our children see the light. Even though my daughter is 19, I allow her to live at home if she helps pay rent, etc..lets face it no one is going to give you a free ride in life. The other day she didnt like what I said and "threatened" me with Im going to quit school. Mind you she hasnt even started, 1st day is July 10th. I surprised her with fine, and I suggest that you come to the house tonight and pick up all your belongings because they will be on the front porch. And by the way, I own the car that you drive, so have someone follow you out to the house. She has been so nice and cooperative since then.

What ever it takes, as long as the child/young adult is not physically or mentally hurt. Humiliation though will go a long way.

Yea, as a yardstick of what, or what NOT to do. I didn't have a great homelife, but thankfully I am NOT repeating most of the things my parents did.
Exactly what I mean. Either we mirror our parents parenting or we learn to swing the pendulum the other way.
Humiliation was not a tactic my folks would have ever used, so it is not a solution I would ever choose.

As parents we have to be creative in helping our children see the light. Even though my daughter is 19, I allow her to live at home if she helps pay rent, etc..lets face it no one is going to give you a free ride in life. The other day she didnt like what I said and "threatened" me with Im going to quit school. Mind you she hasnt even started, 1st day is July 10th. I surprised her with fine, and I suggest that you come to the house tonight and pick up all your belongings because they will be on the front porch. And by the way, I own the car that you drive, so have someone follow you out to the house. She has been so nice and cooperative since then.

What ever it takes, as long as the child/young adult is not physically or mentally hurt. Humiliation though will go a long way.
You're response was a logical consequence to her behavior and makes perfect sense. IMO, that was the only answer TO give.

I'd love to see a study done to check up on these kids whose parents do this to them to see if it works.

My mom always said, half jokingly, guilt is good and humiliation is humbling. She was right and thats how I raise my kids when necessary. Good for this mother, each kid is an individual.

yep you gotta take one day at a time with kids . and do your best . each thing for each kid works differently with them .some kids you dont need to go to far with as far as punishment some kids need a time out for a few hours cuz they just dont listen . period ..but ill tell you what when we kids didnt listen our mom gave us a swift kick in the arse so to speak .. that is what made us listen she didnt mess around with time outs and yada . frankly i think some of the old fashioned ways of disipline are better than this stuff they do now( as long as its not abusive) . some kids are getting out of hand when we were kids we didnt dare . lol well at least me and my sis and bro hehe.. this is my opinion only not meaning to offend anyone

yep you gotta take one day at a time with kids . and do your best . each thing for each kid works differently with them .some kids you dont need to go to far with as far as punishment some kids need a time out for a few hours cuz they just dont listen . period ..but ill tell you what when we kids didnt listen our mom gave us a swift kick in the arse so to speak .. that is what made us listen she didnt mess around with time outs and yada . frankly i think some of the old fashioned ways of disipline are better than this stuff they do now( as long as its not abusive) . some kids are getting out of hand when we were kids we didnt dare . lol well at least me and my sis and bro hehe.. this is my opinion only not meaning to offend anyone
Were we raised by the same mother? LOL!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back