Sick Idea: CDC Hands Out Disease Trading Cards

White Rain

Reaction score
ATLANTA -- A dead zebra on a card labeled “anthrax”.

A close-up of an oozing ulcer.

They might not replace baseball trading cards as a hobby, but the Centers for Disease Control says sick trading cards are amazingly popular. It’s CDC’s way of getting middle school kids interested in science and health.

The CDC gives the cards away for free at its visitor center, when the agency can keep them in stock. The sick cards disappear faster than a case of the 24 hour flu.

The CDC said as it developed the idea, it was careful not to be too graphic. “We changed images to make sure they weren’t scary for kids”, said Judy Gantt, the director of the CDC’s Global Health Oddysey.

What was scarier than the dead zebra on the anthrax card?

“The picture before the zebra was a woman who had anthrax on her eye," said Gantt.

"She basically lost her eye from anthrax. It was pretty gory.”

Right now the cards are out of stock, but you can download the pictures for free by clicking here.

What’s next for this truly sick idea? Foodborne illness trading cards are set to come out later this summer. http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13581792/detail.html

The pictures were not very gross. Nothing more than a kid would see in an encyclopedia if they were looking something up.

I have to say, as a microbiologist, I think that's awesome!!

I didn't look at the pics, I just took a peek now and don't see anything wrong with them. However, I took the title of this thread from the post on the link itsself.
I guess I just don't see any reasoning behind it. A waste of money, imo. Who would really want these other than medical personnel, researchers?

I want some! I think these look great. I would have loved them as a child and still as an adult. Clever idea.

I think they are awesome and a great teaching tool if kids are picking them up. What better way to educate kids.

I am taking a class in Crisis in the Environment and we have a severe lack of funding and shortage of workers in the Environmental Health industry. What better way in pique a kids interest.

These are nothing compared to the Garbage Pail Kids Cards I collected as a kid!!!

I think they are awesome and a great teaching tool if kids are picking them up. What better way to educate kids.

I am taking a class in Crisis in the Environment and we have a severe lack of funding and shortage of workers in the Environmental Health industry. What better way in pique a kids interest.

These are nothing compared to the Garbage Pail Kids Cards I collected as a kid!!!

Yeah, I guess I can see it this way. Ok you guys are changing my mind!

I tend to think that we already are creating a society of nurotic and complusive adults.

I am not sure I agree with this idea at all.

I think people are neurotic because they lack information, not because information is available. The general public overreacts to so many things that are trivial. Personally, everytime I see someone whip out hand sanitizer, I cringe.
I think these cards will not only help kids be informed, but it might make them more interested in science. It was the Ebola outbreak in the mid-1990's that made me want to be a scientist. If I would have access to cards like these, it would have only made me more interested.

I tend to think that we already are creating a society of nurotic and complusive adults.

I am not sure I agree with this idea at all.
Hi Amraan. I looked at it as completely educational and informative.

Cool, I want some! I jus tdon't want htem after someone else's germy hands have touched them haha

I think people are neurotic because they lack information, not because information is available. The general public overreacts to so many things that are trivial. Personally, everytime I see someone whip out hand sanitizer, I cringe.
I think these cards will not only help kids be informed, but it might make them more interested in science. It was the Ebola outbreak in the mid-1990's that made me want to be a scientist. If I would have access to cards like these, it would have only made me more interested.
Oh interesting post. Thanks bnhall.

Oh man, my kids would LOVE these! I wonder if there's some way to get a hold of them (not just the downloaded pics) without going to CDC headquarters?

They should have taken a pic of me some years back after getting the Hepatitis B vaccination and having a reaction and after taking an antibiotic and getting c-difficile toxin two years ago. I wish they would require and put out more serious warnings about what medications can do to some people in addition to focusing on education.

Hi Amraan. I looked at it as completely educational and informative.

Hey Jbean!! I respect you opinion so I will keep an open mind on this.

I liked bnhall's post too.

Hey Jbean!! I respect you opinion so I will keep an open mind on this.

I liked bnhall's post too.
I respect your opinion right back.:)
maybe you should get a set and check them out.:p
let us know!!! :blowkiss:

I respect your opinion right back.:)
maybe you should get a set and check them out.:p
let us know!!! :blowkiss:

LOL once my boys see these?? they will be a hit!!
You know You have 5 ...
The lack of grossness will be the only prob :) :blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam