1403 users online (271 members and 1132 guests)  



Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,711

    New Florida Law Re: Kids Left In Cars

    I am putting this here because IMO it is a crime..

    http://www.parentsbehavingbadly.com/...#comment-82653


    If you read the bottom of that blog article starting July 1'st it is illegal to leave a child under 6 in a car for more then 15 mins.

    Now although this is actually a step up for the state of Florida since they previously had no such law at all.. I am disgusted that the law allows for a child to be left in a car for up to 15 minutes alone.
    Talk about enabling lazy parenting!!
    Who the heck is the moron who thought this was a brilliant law??

    Even worse is that our govenor had to sign this over objections by several lawmakers ....
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,5448899.story

    They were defending the parents!!

    "The bill passed the Legislature in May over the objection of several lawmakers, who said it would make criminals out of people who make simple mistakes and that the state should only go so far in telling people how they must raise their children."

    It is not a "simple mistake" to be a lazy parent and let your child swelter in a hot car because you cannot be bothered to take them with you while you run into the store.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    I am putting this here because IMO it is a crime..

    http://www.parentsbehavingbadly.com/...#comment-82653


    If you read the bottom of that blog article starting July 1'st it is illegal to leave a child under 6 in a car for more then 15 mins.

    Now although this is actually a step up for the state of Florida since they previously had no such law at all.. I am disgusted that the law allows for a child to be left in a car for up to 15 minutes alone.
    Talk about enabling lazy parenting!!
    Who the heck is the moron who thought this was a brilliant law??

    Even worse is that our govenor had to sign this over objections by several lawmakers ....
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,5448899.story

    They were defending the parents!!

    "The bill passed the Legislature in May over the objection of several lawmakers, who said it would make criminals out of people who make simple mistakes and that the state should only go so far in telling people how they must raise their children."

    It is not a "simple mistake" to be a lazy parent and let your child swelter in a hot car because you cannot be bothered to take them with you while you run into the store.
    I do think this will criminalize the behavior of people who mistakenly leave a child in the car and I don't agree with that.

    I wouldn't mind the law if only applied to parents who knowingly left a child in the car.

    ETA: and you're right - the 15-minute thing makes no sense at all.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,468
    How do you mistakenly leave your child in the car? I know where my child is 24/7 and have never left him in the car by mistake. Sure when he is 12 or 13 I may leave him in the car when I run in 7-11 or something but if you aren't smart enough to know your child is in the car then you don't need a child.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,237
    What? "15 minutes"??? That's crazy.

    Sheesh, with that line of thinking I hope they specified what "alone" means.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    134
    [quote=southcitymom;1556207]I do think this will criminalize the behavior of people who mistakenly leave a child in the car and I don't agree with that.

    I wouldn't mind the law if only applied to parents who knowingly left a child in the car.

    ETA: and you're right - the 15-minute thing makes no sense at all.[/quote]

    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Are you serious that you don't agree with people being criminalized for "mistakenly" leaving a child in a car?? How do you mistakenly leave a child in the first place? If you forget your own kids in a car you should be rethinking your parenting skills to begin with. and YES YES YES this should finally be a law for those parents who "mistakenly" forget how to be a parent.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,379
    While I do have some sympathy for those horrific scenarios where someone truly has no idea that the child is in the car, and I think the worst punishment is living with this for the rest of their lives, I think the most offensive part of this story is that this is still only a 2nd degree misdemeanor. I think it might be considered a worse crime to leave your dog in the car.

    When I think of the effort being spent and the time behind bars for the kid who got a BJ compared to this...it makes me cringe.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    [quote=Kitty5001;1557793]
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    I do think this will criminalize the behavior of people who mistakenly leave a child in the car and I don't agree with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post

    I wouldn't mind the law if only applied to parents who knowingly left a child in the car.

    ETA: and you're right - the 15-minute thing makes no sense at all.[/quote]

    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Are you serious that you don't agree with people being criminalized for "mistakenly" leaving a child in a car?? How do you mistakenly leave a child in the first place? If you forget your own kids in a car you should be rethinking your parenting skills to begin with. and YES YES YES this should finally be a law for those parents who "mistakenly" forget how to be a parent.
    Well, maybe I'm reading different news stories, but at least once a month or so - especially in the warmer months - there is coverage of a case where a parent or caretaker forgets their child, leaves them in the car and the child is harmed.

    IMO, many of these types of cases are terrible mistakes on the parent's part and I would not want those types of mistakes criminalized.

    Contrarily, if a parent drives to the bar for happy hour and video poker and locks the 3-year-old and 6-year-old in the car while they are in there for the evening - that's not a mistake - that's selfishness because they couldn't get a babysitter. That's a conscious decision and I'd have no problem with that type of decision being illegal.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty5001 View Post
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Are you serious that you don't agree with people being criminalized for "mistakenly" leaving a child in a car?? How do you mistakenly leave a child in the first place? If you forget your own kids in a car you should be rethinking your parenting skills to begin with. and YES YES YES this should finally be a law for those parents who "mistakenly" forget how to be a parent.
    Maybe I'm reading different news stories than y'all, but several times a year there is a story of a parent who forgets their child is in the car, goes about their day and the child is injured or dies.

    I consider this type of situation to be a tragic mistake and no, I would not want such a mistake ciminalized.

    On the other hand, if a parent goes to the pub for happy hour and to play video poker and locks the 3-year-old and 6-year-old in the car while they have an evening out - that is a conscious decision that they make because they are too selfish or lazy or both to get a babysitter. That sort of decision should be criminalzed.

    For me, there are oceans of differences between the two scenarios.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    3,192
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Maybe I'm reading different news stories than y'all, but several times a year there is a story of a parent who forgets their child is in the car, goes about their day and the child is injured or dies.

    I consider this type of situation to be a tragic mistake and no, I would not want such a mistake ciminalized.

    On the other hand, if a parent goes to the pub for happy hour and to play video poker and locks the 3-year-old and 6-year-old in the car while they have an evening out - that is a conscious decision that they make because they are too selfish or lazy or both to get a babysitter. That sort of decision should be criminalzed.

    For me, there are oceans of differences between the two scenarios.
    i doubt that diffrence of the degree of neglect helps the kids who die. some parents neglect their kids because they are busy and life is hard and they have to work.... others because they want a drink. to me it aint a huge diffrence.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    4,441
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    I do think this will criminalize the behavior of people who mistakenly leave a child in the car and I don't agree with that.

    I wouldn't mind the law if only applied to parents who knowingly left a child in the car.

    ETA: and you're right - the 15-minute thing makes no sense at all.
    I don't think there should be a difference. I agree with Amra...it's lazy parenting to leave a child in a car unattended for ANY length of time, even by accident.

    ETA: What I don't understand is if you put a child IN the car, how do you "forget" to take them out?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,415
    We have laws in Australia that doesnt allow children to be left in a car for any period of time, as Australia is in the tropics our weather can get quite hot, and children have died that have been left in cars in about 7 minutes in extreme heat conditions. Parents are charged immediately if it is reported, but unfortunately this cannot be policed all the time, so there are a few children that die because nobody knows they are in a car or they didnt report it to the authorities. It just shouldnt happen. You should never leave your children unattended for any length of time.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,711
    Shazza that is how FLorida is too as far as weather goes...

    A person could easily die in ten minutes in a closed up ar here.


    Angelmom your 100% correct IT is illegal to leave your pet in the car.
    But apparently you can leave your child!

    Southcitymom I don't think this will criminalize those parents.
    Previous to this if harm came to the child they would have been charged with child neglect.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    Shazza that is how FLorida is too as far as weather goes...

    A person could easily die in ten minutes in a closed up ar here.


    Angelmom your 100% correct IT is illegal to leave your pet in the car.
    But apparently you can leave your child!

    Southcitymom I don't think this will criminalize those parents.
    Previous to this if harm came to the child they would have been charged with child neglect.
    Oh I forgot to tell you it is also illegal to leave your pet in the car too.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    i doubt that diffrence of the degree of neglect helps the kids who die. some parents neglect their kids because they are busy and life is hard and they have to work.... others because they want a drink. to me it aint a huge diffrence.
    In one scenario, someone forgets something very important. In another scenario, no one forgets anything - a conscious decision is made.

    I disagree with criminalizing the honest mistake.

    Regardless of my beliefs, this is a poorly drafted law and I doubt it will prevent any kids from dying.

    I am glad FL will now be able to charge parents who knowingly leave their children in a car. If FL also wants to use this law to charge parents who unknowingly do so, it seems like overkill to me - the law couldn't possibly punish those parents any worse than their consciences will.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    Shazza that is how FLorida is too as far as weather goes...

    A person could easily die in ten minutes in a closed up ar here.


    Angelmom your 100% correct IT is illegal to leave your pet in the car.
    But apparently you can leave your child!

    Southcitymom I don't think this will criminalize those parents.
    Previous to this if harm came to the child they would have been charged with child neglect.
    Yes, Amraann - I do agree 100% that FL needs a law so that they can charge parents who do this knowingly - that's certainly the best thing about this new one.

    Do you really think it won't be used to criminalize the others? The more I think about it, I think you are probably right. In a case like this about a year ago here in the Atlanta area where a new father accidentally left his newborn in the car after dropping his other kids off at school, he was not charged criminally. I think you are right that LE looks at all the circumstances surrounging these cases. I'm grateful for that.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. FL - South Florida grandma, 34, left kids alone to gamble at casino
    By Lovejac in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2014, 09:59 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-23-2013, 01:34 PM
  3. Florida Woman Disappeared, But Never Left Home
    By MaryLiz in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 02:38 AM
  4. Missing Kids Featured On Stock Cars
    By SeriouslySearching in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 12:45 PM