Massive Flooding In Marble Falls, Texas

Shadow205

Reaction score
Was just watching the awfull flooding going on in Texas and know that we have quite a few members in TX. I don't know what areas everyone lives in. I hope that you are all OK.

Hope everyone in Texas are faring well....

We had a somewhat exciting Father's Day here on the Big Island...

http://tux.wr.usgs.gov/Quakes/quakes0.html

~snip~
The earthquake swarm started at 2:15 a.m., June 17, 2007. By 2 p.m., about 230 earthquakes were located in the upper east rift zone. More earthquakes occurred but were too small to locate. Most are located between Pauahi and Maka`opuhi craters at depths of 1.5-3 km. Fresh cracks have opened about 2 cm in the Chain of Craters road near the Mauna Ulu turnoff.
~snip~

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Jun/17/br/br6832075914.html

~snip~
A "swarm" of shallow, relatively small earthquakes jolted the upper East Rift Zone of Kilauea Volcano today, prompting the National Park Service to evacuate tourists and campers on the chance that the quakes might signal a dramatic, unexpected change in the ongoing eruption.
~snip~

Mother Nature is on a rampage it seems.
Stay Safe!

So far so good down here in Northwest Houston. We had lots of rain both Saturday and Sunday, and more on the way later today. (heehee - I'm a poet!) :D

Prayers to those who are getting hit harder than we are.

Gainesville is my hometown. I went over there earlier today and drove around some. There are two little girls missing, from a trailer that was washed away by Pecan Creek, ages 2 and 4. I saw what was left of the trailer, and it was a bad sight. This was just around the corner, about 4 blocks, from the house where I grew up. I wasn't aware at the time of the two girls missing, but I thought they were searching for someone, as there were lots of firemen, trucks etc., by the bridge. When I first got there a little before noon, all of the streets I went past that cross the creek were closed down, and the only way I could find to get to the other side of town was Hway 82. A few hours later when we came back through, they were just starting to open a few of the roads. I have heard rumors some of the zoo was flooded, but I didn't try to go over there. The thing is, there was a very bad flood in Gainesville in 1981, and this flood appears worse.

Hi, Lanie, I'm in Sherman. It is just awful about the little girls and their grandma. The 2 y/o is still missing. The 4 y/o and grandma are dead. It is very different when it happens in your area. A very strange feeling when it is near home. I had to turn back when they shut down Hwy. 75 this morning. Luckily, I waited until it quit storming to try to go to work or else I'd been in the middle of it also. My dad got flooded out of his place. He said it was up to his knees and all his furniture is ruined. I'm just glad he is ok. I usually just head on out to make it to work on time but something made me stop and think maybe I should wait it out. That would have been bad, now wouldn't it?

Skylar, forever lurker, first post ever, but saw Lanie's and had to!

Hoping everyone is safe. LionRun is in Texas, I hope she is not near where the floods are, as she sure doesnt need that at the moment.

Hoping everyone is safe. LionRun is in Texas, I hope she is not near where the floods are, as she sure doesnt need that at the moment.

Thank you Shazza for thinking of us:blowkiss:. We are in the Austin area and although we had some rain it isn't flooding in this part of Texas.

So far there are 5 confirmed dead and 5 more missing, at least according to Fox News a few minutes ago. Please, all who pray please pray for these folks. And, for those who don't warm wishes are needed. The damage looks awful, there are brown, muddy lakes covering what used to be land and people's homes and vehicles.

Lion

Hi, Skylar, and everyone else. It's true what you say about it hitting a nerve when it is so close to home. On a positive note, there is so much help here right now, and things seem to be clicking along. We called around yesterday afternoon, and they were only taking names and numbers for volunteers at that point. I heard approximately 67 cities sent help as soon as word got out about the flooding. I know I saw fire trucks from all over the place yesterday.

Hi, Lanie, I'm in Sherman. It is just awful about the little girls and their grandma. The 2 y/o is still missing. The 4 y/o and grandma are dead. It is very different when it happens in your area. A very strange feeling when it is near home. I had to turn back when they shut down Hwy. 75 this morning. Luckily, I waited until it quit storming to try to go to work or else I'd been in the middle of it also. My dad got flooded out of his place. He said it was up to his knees and all his furniture is ruined. I'm just glad he is ok. I usually just head on out to make it to work on time but something made me stop and think maybe I should wait it out. That would have been bad, now wouldn't it?

Skylar, forever lurker, first post ever, but saw Lanie's and had to!

Just wanted to say "hi" and welcome to you, Skylar...I'm in Central Texas.
Awww, your poor Dad...and yet, furniture can be replaced. Just glad he's okay.

Im thinking of you all........please stay safe and dry.

Im thinking of you all........please stay safe and dry.

And Dingo,
how is it in Australia now, after all your flooding?

In Central TX, where I am, it had started drying out around my house about a week ago. My primary route to/from work and home was closed for 14 days due to flooding, but was opened a week - and now, closed again! It didn't take much to have it over the roads again. Sheesh.

We are having the same problems here DD...the rain wont dissappear long enough for things to dry out.
The NSW coast line is copping it again right now with cyclonic winds around Sydney right up to the QLD border.....there are fears that the coal ship stuck on Newcastle beach will break open under the strain of the wild surf bashing it..we hope that doesnt happen.
These storms are unseasonal and really unheard of at this time if year.
We,ll all have to hang in there and keep each other in our prayers:blowkiss: .
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=274016

We're about an hour from the coast and south of Houston. We had a weekend of rain and stayed home from traveling to North Houston just based on the flood watch, but our area didn't get much flooding other than probably the usual street here or there which went down quickly.

Flash floods are no joke and in Central and North Texas they seem to be more deadly and intense--do you think so DeputyDawg?

It seemed to be to be that way when we lived in Austin--

We are having the same problems here DD...the rain wont dissappear long enough for things to dry out.
The NSW coast line is copping it again right now with cyclonic winds around Sydney right up to the QLD border.....there are fears that the coal ship stuck on Newcastle beach will break open under the strain of the wild surf bashing it..we hope that doesnt happen.
These storms are unseasonal and really unheard of at this time if year.
We,ll all have to hang in there and keep each other in our prayers:blowkiss: .
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=274016

We're getting a good dose of rain and straightline winds this morning, should be clear this afternoon.

I read your linked article - you be safe! And hopefully you aren't one of the many without power, etc.

Yes, I'll be thinking of you!

We're about an hour from the coast and south of Houston. We had a weekend of rain and stayed home from traveling to North Houston just based on the flood watch, but our area didn't get much flooding other than probably the usual street here or there which went down quickly.

Flash floods are no joke and in Central and North Texas they seem to be more deadly and intense--do you think so DeputyDawg?

It seemed to be to be that way when we lived in Austin--

Hi Texana,
It looks like your area may be getting hit hard this morning, is that right? Be careful!

You're right re these flash floods. I think you're right - the grounds just so saturated already, this downpours just cause everything to flood. And yes, it seems like there's more deaths this year than in years past, doesn't it?!

And to think Texas (at least Central TX) had been in two years of drought!

We were in drought conditions at the beginning of the year. We normally don't get any rain around here to speak of after May, but it has been raining at least once or twice a week for months, and we got another thunderstorm last night. Normally by this time we are on AT LEAST week two of 100+ degree weather.

We were in drought conditions at the beginning of the year. We normally don't get any rain around here to speak of after May, but it has been raining at least once or twice a week for months, and we got another thunderstorm last night. Normally by this time we are on AT LEAST week two of 100+ degree weather.

So true! Our normal calendar year-to-date rainfall total is about 17" for January - June, and before last night, we were at 35"
And y'all got hit really hard last night/this morning, right?

I don't know how much rain we got. The thunder woke me up last night, but I fell right back to sleep. I live outside of Gainesville, and it is hard to judge here right now, because the town is putting in a small lake, and a dam is in operation.

Body of toddler swept by floods found

9:20 a.m. ET 6/20/2007
The Associated Press

Video: More flooding for Texas?
GAINESVILLE, Texas (AP) -- The body of a 2-year-old girl was found in a tree Tuesday, nearly 3 miles downstream from where her family's mobile home was swept away a day earlier by flooding blamed for six deaths.
Authorities determined all people had been accounted for after storms poured nearly a foot of rain on parts of North Texas.
http://www.weather.com/newscenter/topstories/062007_texasflooding.html?from=wxcenter_news

I live in the next county over from Burnet county where they have had massive flooding. It has been reported that in some areas, notably Marble Falls, TX, that they received more rain in one night than in the entire previous year. People were rescued from rooftops in many cases, and many have lost their homes and businesses. Roads are destroyed, vehicles were carried away, and in some cases parts of homes or whole mobile homes were carried away by flash floods. So far it seems there have been no reported deaths. The National Guard is here to help, and The American Red Cross is doing as much as they can to help these folks.

Here are a couple of links for stories and the link to The American Red Cross. These folks need our prayers, support, and our help. Gosh, I can hardly believe some of the footage and pics I am seeing. It is unbelievable!

Lion

http://keyetv.com/topstories/local_story_178133605.html

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/06/28/0628flood.html

http://www.centex.redcross.org/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members