London police investigate suspected bomb

Jaded

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.someoneknowsme.com
LONDON - Explosive experts "made safe" a suspected bomb in a vehicle parked near Picadilly Circus in central London on Friday, authorities said.
[SIZE=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/SIZE]

Police did not offer any details about what they called a "potentially viable explosive device" or how they dealt with it.
Terrorist police were investigating after explosives officers were called about the suspected bomb shortly before 2 a.m. local time, police said in a statement.
"They discovered what appeared to be a potentially viable explosive device," police said. "This was made safe."

Sky News showed images of a blue tent-like cover that it said forensic officers had placed over the vehicle, which was parked outside an American Express foreign exchange office.

The station cited witnesses as saying bouncers from a nearby night club had reported that someone had crashed a blue Mercedes sedan into garbage bins and ran away.

The area around the vehicle was cordoned off as a precaution on Friday morning while police examined the vehicle. London transport officials said the Picadilly Circus underground train station was closed.

The alert comes a week before the second anniversary of the July 7 London bombings, when four British Muslim suicide bombers killed themselves and 52 bus and subway passengers.

For more than a year, the government has held the country's terrorist threat level at severe — which means a terrorist attack is highly likely.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070629/ap_on_re_eu/britain_bomb_defused

Over 200 liters of fuel in containers were found in the vehicle :eek: which is being loaded up to be towed away as I type this. No doubt there would have been extensive damage and loss of life.

Ironically on Gordon Brown's 1st full day as newly inaugurated P.M. ---- as a great reminder of the terrorist plans that exist throughout the free world.

I've been watching it on FOX since around 4 this morning. Thankfully this terror attempt was intercepted.

Thankfully, indeed!

I don't mean to make light of the situation but I can't believe someone would blow up a perfectly beautiful Mercedes Benz! I guess it's safe to say it was a stolen vehicle though.

I am so very glad that this attack was prevented. I love the London, and I have two dear cousins who live there.

Lion

I hope this is just a single isolated incident.

Prince William and Harry have their big concert tribute to their mother this weekend. It was supposed to be a celebration of Princess Diana's life, and I would hate to see a damper put on it. Although, no doubt this has already put people on edge.

I do hope their concert is a smashing success!

Story has changed after scotland yard news conference. Seems this happened at 1:28 am London time. An ambulance was dispatched to the nightclub to attend someone there, saw what appeared to be smoke in the car, and called this to the police.

I was in London on 7/7, as was my entire family. It was an interesting time. I'm just glad this was thwarted, but I think it was sheer luck. That's not very reassuring. Guess I'd rather be lucky!!

gaia:cool:

So now I'm watching a double decker bus being checked out on Park Lane near Hyde Park. Something separate or related? Something is going on in London..............Live on Fox News.

So now I'm watching a double decker bus being checked out on Park Lane near Hyde Park. Something separate or related? Something is going on in London..............Live on Fox News.

They are speculating that it may be related. They've evacuated the street from what I understand.

You got that right, BarnGoddess! I pray that these perps get caught!

Was there just speculation that there may also be some related terror plot here in the USA? I was only half listening.

Everyone keep your eyes wide open, where ever you are! Vigilance is of the essence!

You got that right, BarnGoddess! I pray that these perps get caught!

Was there just speculation that there may also be some related terror plot here in the USA? I was only half listening.

Everyone keep your eyes wide open, where ever you are! Vigilance is of the essence!

Still listening to Fox. London police to have a press conference any minute. Bus wasn't the problem. Seems a nearby car is suspect. Just all traffic stopped there.

Seems the NY mayor posted on his blog that there was going to be a slight elevation of alert to take precations.

Thanks, Goddess! ;)

Hard to believe that night club had about 1700 people in it at 1am in the morning. Wow, that's some big nightclub!

Thank goodness, they all were able to survive, due to the car being discovered before it detonated!

The BBC's Daniel Sandford said a second device was found in another Mercedes in a car park in London's Park Lane.
The major thoroughfare was closed while bomb squad officers checked the vehicle. It reopened at 1930BST.
The Haymarket area remains closed as dozens of officers carry out forensic searches. The Mercedes is being tested at the Forensics Explosives Laboratory in Kent.
CCTV footage is also being examined and police are believed to be making some progress towards getting an image of the driver.
The BBC understands that the second car was towed to the Park Lane car park after it was found parked illegally in the West End. Staff at the pound contacted police after hearing about the Haymarket bomb because the vehicle smelled of petrol

More at link including maps of the areas where the devices have been found...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6255452.stm

Seems like it was luck and not intelligence that foiled the plan.

That is the way it's going to be folks. The police and intelligence people can't be everywhere and it's too easy for these radicals to create car bombs.

Coming to a city near you... it's only a matter of time.

We MUST learn from the mistakes these other countries like England and France have made. I'll bet these perps are home grown. You can take the radical Muslim out of their country but you can't take the radical Muslim out of the radical Muslim or something like that.

We MUST learn from the mistakes these other countries like England and France have made. I'll bet these perps are home grown. You can take the radical Muslim out of their country but you can't take the radical Muslim out of the radical Muslim or something like that.

Wow tell us how you really fell... would you care to elaborate on what you fell are "the mistakes" of these other countries...?

I am not even going to comment on the last part of your quote.. Its a land mine and sure to get me flamed...

But I do agree that this is now a part of our daily lives and not likely to go away any time soon. We have been very lucky to avoid attacks such as these until realtively recently.. while other countries have been dealing with terrorism for a long time.

Totally agree that France and Britain really blew it with their past mistakes--A British official was on CNN today saying Britain allowed WAY too many muslim immigrants from the middle east, Pakistan and North Africa--He said Ghetto's are spreadingly rapidly in many British Cities because of the rigid political framework in Britain--Muslims are much more assimilated in the United State because we have greater freedom here than Britain or France(witness those endless French Riots last year)--British Muslims are extremely frustrated by their lack of oppurtunities in Britain and these new Ghettos are becoming a breeding ground for Al Quaeda sypathizers

Thank you Peter Hamilton. I can't elaborate at length in this forum, probably the Political Pavillion would be better.

Not meaning to inflame, just putting a twist on the "you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl" type of reference.

If you are born with certain principles and beliefs, it's hard to change that just by moving somewhere else. It would make sense that the more radicals you have in a community, the greater chance you'll have these incidents. Just the facts.

The mistakes in short are appeasement and lack of background check and monitoring.

Does anyone one but me think there is something not quite right here. Supposedly both cases are connected and the bombs were supposed to be detonated remotley from a cell phone,but why didn't they do it? Obviously I'm glad they didn't,but it seems very strange that the cars were just left there to be found and then nothing happened. I'm just fearful it was a decoy or a test for something bigger to come. I pray I'm wrong.

Due to the terrorist attack at the airport in Glasgow earlier today, the terror alert (in the U.K.) has been raised from severe to critical, the highest level in the UK.

It has not been confirmed that these two events (London yesterday & Glasgow today) are related, but that's being investigated.

I began a thread in the Crimes in the News forum on the Glasgow attack, since it is undoubtedly a crime:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50889

Mass transit in the U.S. has heightened security but no specific threats have been made.

Does anyone one but me think there is something not quite right here. Supposedly both cases are connected and the bombs were supposed to be detonated remotley from a cell phone,but why didn't they do it? Obviously I'm glad they didn't,but it seems very strange that the cars were just left there to be found and then nothing happened. I'm just fearful it was a decoy or a test for something bigger to come. I pray I'm wrong.
--no--don't thik so--terrorists are too dumb to think of something like that--this is no decoy--these are just "second and third-tier" terrorists--in other words, incompetent--both cars failed to explode and the Scotland incident today was almost a joke: nobody killed,some damage to the front of the airport, one guy in the car failed to even kill himself,and had his hair burned off--funny

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back