Woman killed on gyrating Playland ride

Dark Knight

Reaction score
(AP) A gyrating ride at a historic amusement park is under renewed scrutiny after a young woman died in the second fatal accident in less than four years.

The woman was killed Friday night in an accident involving the Mind Scrambler ride at Playland Amusement Park in Rye, N.Y., just north of New York City, said Westchester County Police spokesman Kieran O'Leary.
Emergency workers responded quickly, "but there wasn't very much anybody could do for her," O'Leary said. The woman, who was in her 20s, was pronounced dead at the scene around 9:30 p.m., he said.

Police were investigating early Saturday and released few details about the accident. The woman's name was not released because her family had not been notified, O'Leary said.

The indoor attraction spins riders around in a darkened tent with flashing lights. It was the scene of another deadly accident on May 22, 2004. Stephanie Dieudonne, 7, wriggled free of the restraining bar on one of the cars, knelt on the seat and fell soon after the ride started, according to investigators.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070630/ap_on_re_us/amusement_park_death&printer=1

How did she die......or did I miss something?

Dingo you did not miss anything.
The police have not yet released details pending an investigation.

I wonder how she died as well :( This is sad and it's sad that the little 7 year old died as well a few years back.. :( Prayers for the loved ones..

Dingo you did not miss anything.
The police have not yet released details pending an investigation.
Thanks Am....I read it a few times to make sure........from what Im gathering it sounds like she was thrown from the ride.......we have had a lot of fatalities down here too from amusement rides.

A safety precaution put in place for a thrill ride after a fatal accident five years ago wasn't being followed when a worker was killed on the same ride, an amusement park official acknowledged Saturday.

Gabriela Garin, 21, died Friday night after she was thrown from the Mind Scrambler at Rye Playland, a National Historic Landmark on Long Island Sound about 25 miles north of midtown Manhattan.

The single mother had made her first visit to the park when she was a youngster and spent the last seven years working there.

"She grew up in this place, and this place took her away from us," said her weeping sister, Ruby Garin. "She used to come here when she was 3 years old. It wasn't her fault."

The ride was immediately shut down for the rest of the summer. Two other rides at the park — Power Surge and Go-Karts — that are owned by the same company also will close indefinitely while its safety procedures are inspected, said park spokesman Peter Tartaglia.

Garin was loading a few new riders onto the Mind Scrambler, a spider-arm-shaped attraction that spins passengers around in two-seat cars, before she was to head home at the end of her shift, Tartaglia said.

Impatient riders were shouting "Come on, start the ride," said Westchester County Executive Andrew Spano. The ride's new operator, his view apparently blocked by a high back on the ride's seat, started the Mind Scrambler while Garin was kneeling on a seat bench, Spano said.
Tartaglia said the operator noticed Garin and shut the ride down within 20 seconds, but Garin had already been thrown to her death.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070630/ap_on_re_us/amusement_park_death&printer=1

Prayers for the ride operator who must feel horrible and for the victim's child and family. I bet the impatient riders don't feel so good, either.

Awful.So the new employee started the ride too soon. I know this sounds like paranoia, but I don't go on rides. Like how long do they train the employees? At carnavals and such I just think "How do I know this dude got a clue, and I'm going to let him hit a switch takes me 100 feet in the air". Prayers for this poor girl. Just trying to make a living.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back