FL - Ashley Truitt, 19, charged in newborn's death, Pompano Beach, 2 June 2007

sherri79

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.news4jax.com/news/13593354/detail.html
Truitt, 18, of Solon, Iowa, told police she hid her pregnancy from her parents and boyfriend. They were all staying at the Wyndham Resort in Pompano Beach when authorities found a bloody knife in the hallway and the newborn's body in a trash bin June 2, said Broward County sheriff's officials.

Truitt said she gave birth in the bathroom, using a kitchen knife to cut the umbilical cord. She then put the baby in a plastic bag with some bath towels and threw it down the trash chute, authorities said. Truitt told investigators the baby was breathing and crying upon birth.

An autopsy found the newborn died from blunt trauma to the head, likely from being dropped seven stories into the ground-floor garbage bin.
===========
more @ link.

:banghead: :banghead: Another beautiful baby who could have gone to parents who would have loved her, GONE!!! Stupid, stupid girl. Now her life is really ruined.

oh my god why do people keep killing babies !!! omg this makes me so MAD !!! i wish i could take everyone that kills babies and torture or kill them omg i am SO angry right now . that poor sweet lil baby !

Zadari, you're not alone. It makes me furious...shatters my heart.

Another young life down the tubes because she was too embarrassed to tell her mother that she was pregnant. I wonder if this boyfriend that she was with was the father of this baby. And now she gets a one way ticket to jail. Lets see what would have been easier, telling her mother she was pregnant or trying to explain to all why she killed the baby. Right now, Im betting that she really wishes that she had told her mother months ago about the pregnancy.

Another young life down the tubes because she was too embarrassed to tell her mother that she was pregnant. I wonder if this boyfriend that she was with was the father of this baby. And now she gets a one way ticket to jail. Lets see what would have been easier, telling her mother she was pregnant or trying to explain to all why she killed the baby. Right now, Im betting that she really wishes that she had told her mother months ago about the pregnancy.

Well said!

I don't understand this sort of behavior at all...

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20081219/BREAKINGNEWS/81219008/-1/BREAKING

"FORT LAUDERDALE — An Iowa woman pleaded guilty Thursday to aggravated manslaughter of a child in the killing of her newborn baby at a South Florida hotel.
Ashley Truitt, 19, of Solon, Iowa, was sentenced to 13 years in prison, followed by five years of probation. The sentence was the minimum requested by prosecutors; the maximum sentence they sought was 30 years in prison.

Truitt admitted to the secret birth Thursday and said she named the baby, whom prosecutors allege was dumped in a garbage chute, Julie Ann. The family now keep the remains in a china cabinet. Truitt has asked that her daughter not be buried until she can be there."

She should have been sentenced to the MAX. Children are not trash to be thrown away.

13 years is ridiculous, what kind of plea bargain was that? That judge should be ashamed!
I'm surprised we didn't hear more about this one, the Casey Anthony case probably stole it's spotlight, and the judge didn't want a lot to know what a slap on the wrist sentence he gave.

Posted on Dec 19, 2008 by Admin.

Ultimately, Ashley Truitt’s prosecutor said, life in a Florida prison didn’t seem right for the Solon teen who killed her newborn baby last year. Instead, Truitt, 19, will serve up to 13 years in prison, plus 5 years’ probation, after prosecutors offered her the chance to plead guilty Thursday to aggravated manslaughter of a child.

“I didn’t think life in prison would have been fair,” Gregg Rossman, Broward County, Fla., assistant state attorney, said in a phone interview with The Gazette.

Earlier in the day the prosecution and Broward Circuit Judge Mily Rodriguez-Powell accepted Truitt’s plea in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. That saved her from being tried on a first-degree murder charge that carried, had she been convicted, a life prison term.

Much more at link:
http://gazetteonline.com/local-news/2008/12/19/truitt-gets-13-years-in-babys-death

Ashley R. Truitt

Housed: Hernando Correctional Institution
Sentencing Date: 12/18/2008
Guilty Plea

Offense: Aggravated Manslaughter-Child
Original Charge: 1st Degree Murder
Sentence: 13 years
Probation: 5 years

Current Release Date: 01/03/2020

why would life in prison not be fair???? she took a life with less thought than that! and this is no abortion, good or bad argument. She gave birth. Then after the child was alive and crying, dropped the child onto the head to kill the child. and life in prison would not be fair?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back