848 users online (176 members and 672 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

VA - Jane Puckett, 16, Colonial Heights, 23 Nov 1977

Jane Louise Puckett
    Missing since November 23, 1977 from Colonial Heights, Virginia.
    Classification: Non-family Abduction

Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: June 26, 1961
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2" (157 cm.); 115 lbs. (52 kg.)
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
    Marks, Scars: Jane has two small scars near her right eye, one is on the side of her eye and the other is about one inch below her eye.
    Dentals: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Puckett was last seen hitchhiking south on Interstate 95 near the Washington Street exit in Petersburg, Virginia on November 23, 1977, and has never been seen nor heard from again.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Colonial Heights Police Department 804-520-9300
    NCMEC #: NCMC601870
    NCIC Number: M-130292702

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
    Florida Missing Children Information Clearinghouse
    The Doe Network: Case File 887DFVA

LINK:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/887dfva.html

possible match?

Don't know if this have been ruled out..
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/468ufva.html
    Its only 1 hour and 50 min away from where she was last seen.
    And there are some similarties...

Vital Statistics of Jane Doe
    • Estimated age: 13 - 16 years old
    • Approximate Height and Weight: 4'9"- 5'2"; 100-120 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Small and slight build.
    • Dentals: She had orthodontic work.
    • Clothing: A heavy cardigan wool sweater with hood, Lee-brand corduroy pants, size 27, leather belt, a chiffon flower-print blouse, a red Cricket bra, a green sock, a pair of size 5, brown, lace-up platform shoes, gold necklaces and a key ring with a house key. Disposable gas lighter;
    Vital Statistics of Jane Louise Puckett
    • Date Of Birth: June 26, 1961
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2" (157 cm.); 115 lbs. (52 kg.)
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
    • Marks, Scars: Jane has two small scars near her right eye, one is on the side of her eye and the other is about one inch below her eye.
    • Dentals: Available

I wonder why there is no discription of what she was last seen wearing?
    It says dentals avavilable, but does not describe any dental work that she may have had done?
    If we could find out that information, it would be very helpful!

Let Love Rule

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Noel View Post
    Don't know if this have been ruled out..
    Its only 1 hour and 50 min away from where she was last seen.
    And there are some similarties......
    I wonder why there is no discription of what she was last seen wearing?
    It says dentals avavilable, but does not describe any dental work that she may have had done?
    If we could find out that information, it would be very helpful!
    It certainly looks like a possibility. I have not seen a description of the clothes she was wearing when last seen. But a heavy sweater would have been appropriate for late November.

Jane Louise Puckett

It has been a little over 30 years now since this young girl disappeared. The case is still unsolved.

Jane was a petite girl, standing only 5 feet 2 inches tall, weighing 115 pounds. She was 16 years old and had light brown hair and blue eyes.

It is likely that she was abducted by someone traveling from or through Virginia toward North Carolina.

I was looking at this unidentified and wondered if this was her to. Looked up Janes name on google and found this thread. The 4th picture of the unidentified really looks like Janes picture to me! Has anyone turned it in?

Jane Louise Puckett vs Jane Doe 468ufva

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerbabie View Post
    I was looking at this unidentified and wondered if this was her to. Looked up Janes name on google and found this thread. The 4th picture of the unidentified really looks like Janes picture to me! Has anyone turned it in?

I believe that the jane doe case is the same one mentioned in an earlier post. I do not know if any official comparisons have been made. You could contact one of the organizations mentioned in the origional post to ask if comparisons have been made or to suggest that they consider it.

contacted investigators

Investigators have been contacted on a possible match of the unidentified Jane Doe. I will let you guys know if or when I hear back.

Let Love Rule

Other related cases?

If you go to the Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community featured case section, Sheila and Katherine Lyon case, and look at the "Possible Connections" thread, you will find Jane's case mentioned as being similar in nature to a number of other cases. You can access it by clicking on the link below.

Jane was petite, with light hair and blue eyes. This is mentined in the thread as one of the similarities between a number of cases involving the disappearance of young girls in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and a few other states.

In the possible suspect thread of that same topic, check out a guy named Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. He seems to have been in a number of those states and places about the same time as some of the disappearances.

LINK:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Recieved reply email from LE that they are looking into possible match. I will update if/when I recieve any additional info. Also found this article about the Jane Doe http://www.nbc4.com/news/5958236/detail.html

Let Love Rule

Updated circumstances

Jane Louise Puckett
    Missing since November 23, 1977 from Colonial Heights, Virginia.
    Classification: Non-family Abduction

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: June 26, 1961
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2" (157 cm.); 115 lbs. (52 kg.)
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
    • Marks, Scars: Jane has two small scars near her right eye, one is on the side of her eye and the other is about one inch below her eye.
    • Dentals: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Puckett was last seen hitchhiking south on Interstate 95 near the Washington Street exit in Petersburg, Virginia on November 23, 1977. She and her sister and her sister's boyfriend had skipped school that day. Their plan was to hitchhike to Florida, Orlando. Her sister and her sister's boyfriend did not want to run away and returned home and that was the last time Jane was seen.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact: Colonial Heights Police Department
    804-520-9300

NCMEC #: NCMC601870 NCIC Number: M-130292702

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
    Florida Missing Children Information Clearinghouse
    Virginia State Police

The Doe Network: Case File 887DFVA

LINK:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/887dfva.html

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Noel View Post
    Recieved reply email from LE that they are looking into possible match. I will update if/when I recieve any additional info. Also found this article about the Jane Doe http://www.nbc4.com/news/5958236/detail.html

Any news on this?

Quote Originally Posted by mere View Post
    Any news on this?
    I was wondering the same. Any news as of yet?

The body height and weight do not match, and Jane went missing from Virginia in November of 1977, but this Jane Doe who was found in August of 1977 in North Carolina looks a lot like her. The Jane Doe from Snohomish County, Washington was also hitchiking, and they know who killed her, but they do not know her name.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...t/image003.gif
    Last edited by Reannan; 09-15-2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Stupid Word Processing Mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Reannan View Post
    The body height and weight do not match, and Jane went missing from Virginia in November of 1977, but this Jane Doe who was found in August of 1977 in North Carolina looks a lot like her. The Jane Doe from Snohomish County, Washington was also hitchiking, and they know who killed her, but they do not know her name.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...t/image003.gif

Hi-I'm confused!! I'm sure I've just missed something. But why do you say the height and weight do not match? Jane Puckett's height and weight were 5'2" and 115 lbs. and the Jane Doe's were 4'9" - 5'2' and 100 - 120 lbs. Jane Puckett went missing in November of 1977 and the Jane Doe's estimated time of death was 1979 -1981 but the remains were skeletal so that could be off by a year or too and still be a match.

I think the sketch of the Jane Doe in the sweater and one of the reconstructions looks extremely like Jane Puckett's photo. I keep checking back to see if there has been any word on whether they're a match because I really think it could be her. Although I know she was supposed to be headed south on 95, I still believe it's likely that it could be her, everything else matches, even the story in the news article of the Jane Doe makes sense for a young runaway and could easily fit.

I looked at the sketch you linked of the Snohomish County Washington Jane Doe from August 1977 and I agree, they also look very similar, especially the nose and and lips. But if that Jane Doe was found in August of 1977, it couldn't be Jane Puckett because she didn't disappear until November of 1977.

Did I miss something?
    Last edited by carrie; 09-16-2008 at 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling

LE never got back to me! Last news was they were looking into the matter? I hope they really have! And it's not sitting on a desk or in a filing cabinet forgotten about!

Let Love Rule

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast