616 users online (57 members and 559 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New Drug Deletes Bad Memories

New Drug Deletes Bad Memories

Do you have a really bad memory, or past heartache, that you would prefer to forget?
    Researchers at Harvard and McGill University (in Montreal) are working on an amnesia drug that blocks or deletes bad memories. The technique seems to allow psychiatrists to disrupt the biochemical pathways that allow a memory to be recalled.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...tesbadmemories

Wow....not sure what to think about this!!! What will they think of next??!

I'm sure there is a valid argument for helping people get rid of bad memories, but it's a tad on the creepy side for me. I dunno. Reminds me of storyline in a movie.

I pretty weary of some prescription drugs as it is....I don't know that I'd want to take something that was sooo incrediby powerful that it's main function was to disrupt the biological pathways in my brain.....

Huh? I'd rather have Dr. Spock invade my brain. I'd trust a Vulcan before this.

I have one bad memory in particular I'd like to forget but I think dealing with it and all it's ramifications will be better for my life than erasing it.

Why can't we just delete bad people that cause some of the bad memories?

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    I have one bad memory in particular I'd like to forget but I think dealing with it and all it's ramifications will be better for my life than erasing it.

amen----

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post

That makes a lot of sense!!!! Better yet, delete them BEFORE they cause someone a bad memory. What was that movie Tom Cruise was in (when I still liked him) where they would track down and assassinate criminals before the committed the crime?

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae View Post
    That makes a lot of sense!!!! Better yet, delete them BEFORE they cause someone a bad memory. What was that movie Tom Cruise was in (when I still liked him) where they would track down and assassinate criminals before the committed the crime?
    Minority Report....I think that's the last Tom Cruise movie I saw...That's when he started getting creepy..

I think I might have already been exposed to this drug as my memory is really bad...
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by czechmate7 View Post
    Minority Report....I think that's the last Tom Cruise movie I saw...That's when he started getting creepy..
    Yep, that's the movie...what a concept!

Quote Originally Posted by Glow View Post
    I think I might have already been exposed to this drug as my memory is really bad...
    Me too Glow...I think they've been uping my dosage every year!

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind in real life, eh? If thet can pinpoint it without error and remove, say, a rape memory, then good. However, we gain wisdom and character from our bad experiences. We'd lose that by not remembering the experiences. And we also know that those who do not remember history, are doomed to repeat it.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind in real life, eh? If thet can pinpoint it without error and remove, say, a rape memory, then good. However, we gain wisdom and character from our bad experiences. We'd lose that by not remembering the experiences. And we also know that those who do not remember history, are doomed to repeat it.
    Bravo, DK, bravo.

I understand where everyone is coming from... but in my situation, I would gladly take this medicine....as you never know until you have walked in someone else's shoes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    Not necessarily so DK...in that case I think I'd be a psychopath. Thankfully I have never had any truely bad/traumatic experiences in my life. Depending on the strength of the person, it can destroy them, and nothing has been gained. Traumatic experiences are not always a lesson in how to be a better person and "grow" from the experience.

It's just too high on the "creep-factor" for me.

My memories and thoughts are a part of me. It is what makes me who I am. This body is merely a vessel. It is our minds that truly separate us and make each of us uniquely different, special and our own person.

While I certainly have MANY memories that, on the surface, I would love to erase, I would never actually do it. Ya gotta take the good with the bad & I'm a roll with the punches type gal. My experiences and memories, good and bad, are an important ingredient in the "How to make an eleven" recipe.

IMO

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast