Black borders on desktop

Jovin

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I need some insight into how to correct this problem, if anyone can give me some directions to go in I'd really appreciate it. I am trying to correct this problem on a friend's computer, and I just can't seem to figure it out. I know I've read about this before, and even dealt with it but it's been a long time, and my memory is too short. :confused:

4kkq2wn.gif
4lfbo7t.jpg
5zdu340.jpg

Could be the monitor resolution....go into control panel, display. Check the monitor display..sometimes at 800x600 you will get the black borders. You will need to increase the settings a notch up.

You could try:

Right click on desktop
Pick "properties"
Pick "desktop"
Under position, pick "stretch"

but I tried that already. It didn't make a difference.

You clicked apply and it didn't work? :confused: :waitasec: (Yeah, I've brainfarted like this before, it's why I'm mentioning it.)

You clicked apply and it didn't work? :confused: :waitasec: (Yeah, I've brainfarted like this before, it's why I'm mentioning it.)

It didn't make a difference. I don't know why, but that's what happened.

Irishmist, I"ll try that next when I see him, but you know I wouldn't have thought of that. I only thought that that would have been for your wallpaper...it's worth a try.

4p497jn.gif

You could try:

Right click on desktop
Pick "properties"
Pick "desktop"
Under position, pick "stretch"
this only works for wallpaper, i think.

i have buttons on the front of my monitor that will make the black go away, or it would if i had the patience lol. i just live with the black borders... (on mine they are little arrows, on my old one it was a large button with a bunch of arrows)

but I haven't had a chance to go back and try it on that computer as the fellow's been away for a few days now.

4zvjgb5.gif

Did ya get it fixed yet? It is probably on the actual monitor buttons. Most have a button somewhere on the case to set the position for horizontal and vertical placement, just like a television set.

LOL I now see that this has already been suggested hehehe.

You know I called this guy two days ago and left a message for him, and he didn't get back to me. He lives here in my building and when I saw him later the next day I asked him if he got my message, and he said he did. He said maybe the NEXT afternoon he'd have me come over because it was really bothering him to have the desktop like that.

No call...this is the second time he's bugged me for help about something on his computer and just never followed through, so IF and WHEN he calls me, I'll post here if I managed to get it taken care of.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Jovin

It sound like it's the monitor options. There should be somewhere on the monitor, front or side, you can push buttons and they will bring up menus for color and alignment. There are options to stretch wider vertically or horizontally and you can slide the desktop up/down/left/right and you can totally expand it.

You will just need to get on there and push buttons navigate until you get it where you want it.

If you still can't figure it out...get the name of the monitor and I will find a link w/instructions.

Also, you may need to download an updated driver, you can get that from the manufacturers website free. Go to the the manufacturer webpage, and look for driver updates, or driver downloads, and see if there is one for that particular model. Download and install.

I really appreciate that info. The only problem right now is that the guy seems to be just letting this go and I FOUND OUT WHY from another tenant here! Apparently he goes on the computer "for e-mail only"...yeah right...that's what he told me. It turns out that he goes on the computer for *advertiser censored*! He told the guy that lives in the apartment next to him that he watches it all night and that's why he's reluctant to have me go in and try to do anything. He said that he's got something on there and he can't get it off, and was wondering if that neighbour could help him....he couldn't!

So, he can keep his black borders for now, I guess. :laugh: What a joke! Thanks so much, because I'm keeping this information handy in case I need it again for myself or anyone else. I'm really not that good on computers, but people in this building seem to think I know so much, and I keep telling them that I don't.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to this problem, and hope you have a great day, Christine.

4q42xcx.gif

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to this problem, and hope you have a great day, Christine.

Anytime! :)

Funny..I work on computers here and there for xtra cash. I charge $75 to do a complete maintenance, I do it cheap becuase it's usually a favor and they let me keep it a few days because I work FT....however, if I get one *advertiser censored* pop up, and I make this clear before I take the computer, I will charge $150, to start. People ruin their computers with that crap. It's like opening the doorway to hell right into your house, IMO! Tat stuff over takes your computer and they are pain in the butt to get all that crap off of there!

I live in a seniors apartment complex and I spend so much time helping so many people! It's a daily thing, and I never would charge anyone, even though they keep telling me I should. I just don't know enough about computers. I've had one the better part of ten years, but I honestly only know what I do, and that's it. I just wish they wouldn't keep telling everyone in here that "Dolly knows all about computers!" (That's me.) What a joke.

I do what I do, and I help them all, and they all seem so happy, but trust me, it's almost a full time job sometimes. One lady is 88 and she is so forgetful, but she enjoys her computer so much now. I do what I can.

I really am so glad you gave me all that info. I'll make good use of it.
Thanks,

6449zxz.jpg
6f08kgm.gif

I live in a seniors apartment complex and I spend so much time helping so many people! It's a daily thing, and I never would charge anyone, even though they keep telling me I should. I just don't know enough about computers. I've had one the better part of ten years, but I honestly only know what I do, and that's it. I just wish they wouldn't keep telling everyone in here that "Dolly knows all about computers!" (That's me.) What a joke.

I do what I do, and I help them all, and they all seem so happy, but trust me, it's almost a full time job sometimes. One lady is 88 and she is so forgetful, but she enjoys her computer so much now. I do what I can.

I really am so glad you gave me all that info. I'll make good use of it.
Thanks,

6449zxz.jpg
6f08kgm.gif

If you PM yer email I send you some instructions I give to my friends, a step by step to clean off computer. Also, you should register at www.techsupportguy.org It's free and they will 'walk' you through ANY problem. Great site!

If you PM yer email I send you some instructions I give to my friends, a step by step to clean off computer. Also, you should register at www.techsupportguy.org It's free and they will 'walk' you through ANY problem. Great site!

I'm having such a horrible Friday the 13th morning, but I'm not superstitious, so I'm glad of that! Thanks so much, and I thought I might already belong to that site but I didn't, so I joined.

I will pm my e-mail address to you and thank you so much, Christine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pinkfloyd44!
Back