Child dials 911 287 times on old cell

ajc2804

Reaction score
CARPENTERSVILLE -- Emergency dispatchers heard a child's voice, but couldn't tell where the call was being made from.
At times, 15 to 20 calls came during a shift. Then they stopped for a week. By the end of last month, a 4-year-old had called QuadCom's emergency center 287 times using a deactivated cell phone, according to executive director Steve Cordes.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/456411,CST-NWS-cell05.article

I personally didn't know a cell phones 911 still worked even if the phone was deactivated..

Yes they do which is why often women's shelters often request old cell phones.

I think it is a law that they must?

I'm surprised the battery didn't go dead. Mine goes dead every 5 or 6 days if i don't recharge it.

Deactivated cell phones still must have access to 911, according to federal regulations.
(Sun-Times file)

When the girl was finally located, she said she wanted McDonald's. She gave out her address after the center promised to fill her order. Instead, it sent the police.

That was kind of cute. ;)
Glad there wasn't a horrible ending of another child kidnapping.

I'm surprised the battery didn't go dead. Mine goes dead every 5 or 6 days if i don't recharge it.

It's funny though, like many other things, the newer versions don't work as long and are of poorer quality. I remember having cell phones that seemed to stay charged forever!

I know it is bad, but I think it is SO funny that they got the child to give her address by promising to bring her the McDonald's she was asking for! Ha!
Think of how frusterating it was for the workers to be getting all those phone calls each shift... if I were the one answering the phone, I'd be getting ticked! At least by getting this story out there people at least know that the old phones work. Do I understand this right from the article - that if you just hold down the 9 that you can get a 911 operator? Maybe they need to change that?

I know it is bad, but I think it is SO funny that they got the child to give her address by promising to bring her the McDonald's she was asking for! Ha! ...

Exactly why I thought this was kinda funny.:crazy:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back