1143 users online (164 members and 979 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Girl Seriously Injured in Swimming Pool Mishap

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288182,00.html
    MINNEAPOLIS A six-year-old girl has been hospitalized after a horrifying accident at a swimming pool, when she sat on an open drain and a powerful suction pump tore out part of her intestinal tract. A surgeon told the family Wednesday that part of her intestines had been lost.
    ===========
    more @ link.

That is such a horrible story! Think about how strong that suction must have been. So heartbreaking.

Good Lord - I don't even know what to say. What sort of idiot design has a drain that powerful in a wading pool? I smell a lawsuit.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Cripes she could have easily had a limb sucked in there and drown. What a story. Poor thing.

I have heard of this happening before! It seems nothing has been corrected to make pools safer. The story I'm remembering was of a 6-7 year old boy. His Dad could not even pull him off the drain. Did the same thing to him as this little girl, but the boy died.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae View Post
    I have heard of this happening before! It seems nothing has been corrected to make pools safer. The story I'm remembering was of a 6-7 year old boy. His Dad could not even pull him off the drain. Did the same thing to him as this little girl, but the boy died.
    The laws here in Texas have changed. It is mandatory that new pools have more drains, thus cutting down on the suction level in each drain. Also, the last pool I had built has rounded drains on it so that it doesn't provide such a large area that has direct suction. This has been a long time standing problem. It happens every year with older pools. It is really really sad!

Two years ago my niece was babysitting for 2 children when one of the children's hair became entangled after getting sucked into the drain due to the strong suction. Unfortunately the child drowned while my poor niece struggled to free her by attempting to cut off her hair. Even shutting off the suction did not help, because it had became entangled. The suction is very strong, and something should be done to prevent this. Turning off all pumps while swimming would seem to be an idea, but I know that is not possible in public pools, due to health regulations. I would also recommend that people with long hair braid it before swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Two years ago my niece was babysitting for 2 children when one of the children's hair became entangled after getting sucked into the drain due to the strong suction. Unfortunately the child drowned while my poor niece struggled to free her by attempting to cut off her hair. Even shutting off the suction did not help, because it had became entangled. The suction is very strong, and something should be done to prevent this. Turning off all pumps while swimming would seem to be an idea, but I know that is not possible in public pools, due to health regulations. I would also recommend that people with long hair braid it before swimming.
    Good idea about braiding the hair Shadow. So sorry for your niece. Nobody should have to go through that. How is she doing? I know sometimes people blame themselves for things beyond their control.

Horrifying!

I know our pool, two years old, was built to the new safety code. There are a lot more drains, the design is different, they don't have that suction power. It was one of the first questions we asked--

Hot tubs, however, don't have the same design requirements, if I'm correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Texana View Post
    Horrifying!

I know our pool, two years old, was built to the new safety code. There are a lot more drains, the design is different, they don't have that suction power. It was one of the first questions we asked--

Hot tubs, however, don't have the same design requirements, if I'm correct.
    Our new one does. It was built the same time our pool was...so it has the same kind of multi rounded drains as our pool does.

My hubby had a cousin that drowned the same way in Florida two summers ago when his family was on vacation. This is about the 7th case I have heard of this happening. Something has got to be done!!!
    Happy New Years

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Oh, Shadow. That broke my heart.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

A case just like this one was how Jon Edwards made the fortune he is now using to run for President. I would have thought that all pools with that kind of drain would have been fixed by now. He got an enormous jury award for a little girl who suffered exactly the same injury. And did it just after his own son died in a car crash.

Quote Originally Posted by deandaniellws View Post
    Our new one does. It was built the same time our pool was...so it has the same kind of multi rounded drains as our pool does.
    Is it part of the pool? I think the hot tubs that are part of the pool are built to the new codes, but the free standing ones are not. (unless that just changed in the past two years.)

There is some politician (I think it's a senator or representative) whose granddaughter drowned in a hot tub, and the family was campaigning to change the laws for the free standing spa style tubs. I think that was about two years ago.

They might have successfully changed the laws through then. I'll try to remember who it was--I saw the photo and the article in the local paper, so I think it was a Texan.

I hope this video works......
    I found it at KARE11 news..........

Edina girl survives horrific pool accident

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast