Identified! PA - Bensalem, WhtFem 461UFPA, 20-30, pregnant, in pumphouse, Jan'88 - Lisa Todd

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://doenetwork.org/cases/461ufpa.html

Lots of Photos at above link!!

Unidentified White Female
  • The victim was discovered on January 24, 1988 in Bensalem, Bucks County, Pennsylvania
  • Estimated Date of Death: 1-5 years, most likely more than 3 years, prior to being found.
  • Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics
  • Estimated age: 17 - 23 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0 - 5'3"; 100 - 120 lbs
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair.
  • Dentals: Available
  • Clothing/Jewelry: Braxton designer jeans, size 8; a purple lace camisole, black leather open-toed platform shoes (size 8 to 8 1/2) and a black bodysuit top. She was also wearing an oval sterling silver ring with five clear stones and five additional stones missing, and a silver colored ring with a belt-and-buckle design. Other clothing found near the remains: a black blouse with gold and silver metallic threads, gray leather high-heeled pump shoes (size 6 to 6 1/2), a white patterned pullover dress and black mesh stockings. It is unknown if the additional clothing belonged to the victim.
  • DNA: Available
  • Other: She was six months pregnant.
Case History
The victim was located on January 24, 1988, when a man walking his dog discovered the skeletal remains in a valve/pumphouse at the old Publicker distillery property on State Road in Bensalem.
About 8 inches of water and oil fuel had to be pumped out of the vault-like structure to retrieve the remains.
The pumphouse, which is mostly underground, houses pipes and valves that connect to a concrete storage tank, which was once used to store distilled spirits that had been manufactured at the distillery. The distillery was closed down in the early 70s. In 1974, the six huge storage tanks on the property were being used to store fuel oil, which in all likelyhood was the cause of the oil found in the pumphouse. By the time the victim was found, the property had become an illegal dumping ground for stolen vehicles and was well known to local criminals.
Flyers with a picture of the above reconstruction were distributed to school guidance counselors and doctors' offices (particulary obstetrician/gynecologists), clinics and local police departments. Dental records were also distributed. There were, at the time, 50 missing person reports nationwide that fit the description of the woman, but all of them were eliminated from the investigation.

Unidentified White Female

The victim was discovered on January 24, 1988 in Bensalem, Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Estimated Date of Death: 1-5 years, most likely more than 3 years, prior to being found.
Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 17 - 23 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0 - 5'3"; 100 - 120 lbs
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair.
Dentals: Available
Clothing/Jewelry: Braxton designer jeans, size 8; a purple lace camisole, black leather open-toed platform shoes (size 8 to 8 1/2) and a black bodysuit top. She was also wearing an oval sterling silver ring with five clear stones and five additional stones missing, and a silver colored ring with a belt-and-buckle design. Other clothing found near the remains: a black blouse with gold and silver metallic threads, gray leather high-heeled pump shoes (size 6 to 6 1/2), a white patterned pullover dress and black mesh stockings. It is unknown if the additional clothing belonged to the victim.
DNA: Available
Other: She was six months pregnant.
See photos of site, clothing, and rings at LINK below.
Case History

The victim was located on January 24, 1988, when a man walking his dog discovered the skeletal remains in a valve/pumphouse at the old Publicker distillery property on State Road in Bensalem.

About 8 inches of water and oil fuel had to be pumped out of the vault-like structure to retrieve the remains.

The pumphouse, which is mostly underground, houses pipes and valves that connect to a concrete storage tank, which was once used to store distilled spirits that had been manufactured at the distillery. The distillery was closed down in the early 70s. In 1974, the six huge storage tanks on the property were being used to store fuel oil, which in all likelyhood was the cause of the oil found in the pumphouse. By the time the victim was found, the property had become an illegal dumping ground for stolen vehicles and was well known to local criminals.

Flyers with a picture of the above reconstruction were distributed to school guidance counselors and doctors' offices (particulary obstetrician/gynecologists), clinics and local police departments. Dental records were also distributed. There were, at the time, 50 missing person reports nationwide that fit the description of the woman, but all of them were eliminated from the investigation.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Bensalem Police Department
Detective Chris McMullin
215-633-3700
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

NCIC Number: U-2865311973
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Pennsylvania Missing
The Doe Network: Case File 461UFPA

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/461ufpa.html

This case has some odd factors which could point to more than one victim or to the perp being a female. It is reasonable to assume the size 6-6 1/2 pump heels did not belong to her since she was wearing an 8-8 1/2 according to the report. The perp could have changed clothes and ditched them with the body because of evidence.

It is coupled with the tragedy of her being six months pregnant. This could point to motive.

Must have been her first baby if she was 6 months pregnant and wearing regular jeans.
Some women don't carry out front as much either. She could have used the rubber band method with her jeans, too. I know a lot of women who have done that little trick until they had to go into maternity wear.

Her weight seems wrong tho...doesn't it?! She would have to be very small to be six months pregnant and only up to 120 at the most. Of course, the size 8-8 1/2 shoe seems large for her body size and weight, too. Makes me wonder. Her feet could have been swollen due to pregnancy, but that normally doesn't occur until much later.

Perhaps that weight estimate doesn't take the pregnancy into consideration. Since they were skeletal remains, it was probably based on height and build.

My sister is 5'2" and wears a size 9 shoe. Some women are just cursed. ;)

But with 2 different sizes of shoes at the scene, you gotta think one was hers and one not. If the killer was crafty, they' may have put the wrong sized ones on her to throw investigators off.

I don't think her killer was that crafty. Either the killer was wearing the other clothes or they belong to another victim. If it is another vic...where is she? I would like to know if they got any forensics from the second set of clothing. Also I would like to know the sizes on the second set. By the description of the clothing, there could be bloodstains or something seen on a white dress.

I am also curious to what, if anything, they came up with as a COD. Was she strangled, stabbed, or shot? If she was accosted by a female wearing the smaller shoe...my guess would be this happened at gunpoint and they would have the bullet/bullets.

I hope they looked carefully at the man who found her. I find it amazing a dog walker simply "ran across" a woman in a deep, dark, and desolate place with oil and water in it. Perhaps he knew the perp or the father of the child.

I always wonder about cases like this... if it is often a pimp who is enraged that one of their best prostitutes has gotten pregnant (either by him or a customer).. and she refuses to have an abortion. So he throws her away like a piece of trash, because he has no more use for her and she is disobeying him. Just a theory.
But of course you still have plenty of boyfriends, husbands, and molesting incestuous fathers killing their pregnant girlfriends, wives, daughters, foster children etc. etc.. too.

". . .By the time the victim was found, the property had become an illegal dumping ground for stolen vehicles. . ."
http://doenetwork.org/cases/461ufpa.html

I wonder if a car jacking or other kidnap took place? At the very least I would think this might somehow be connected to the car thefts in the areas that the cars were being stolen from.

My guess is that L.E. probably know some of the car thieves involved and could work the case from that angle. Perhaps they are.

I wonder if any of the stolen vehicles dumped belonged to the victim whose body was found.

Any possibility that she went down there to hide, or was running through the woods and fell, and died of natural cuses? Maybe the clothes were hers and she brought them along because she was running from some kind of situation.
From the description of the clothes it does sound like she may have been a prostitute. Maybe the person who threw her down there gathered up her clothes and threw them down there too, to get rid of any evidence of her being in his house.

I don't think she would have gotten very far running in platform shoes. I don't want to draw a conclusion from the clothing...the clothing that she wore was not remarkable - the jeans were a mid-priced brand, the camisole and blouse sound unremarkable. The other clothes may *or may not* be related at all.

My gut tells me that this is a dump job. The site is known to the local criminals, but it may well have been known to others, either people who worked in the area, or criminals from across the river in New Jersey. It's also not far from I-95. If it was a body dump, it could be that someone on the interstate assumed that since they were passing through an industrial area that there would be places to hide a body. I would look at New Jersey and New York, not just PA. Also, Baltimore. My gut tells me it's someone from Philly or across the river in NJ.

Any possibility that she went down there to hide, or was running through the woods and fell, and died of natural cuses? Maybe the clothes were hers and she brought them along because she was running from some kind of situation.
From the description of the clothes it does sound like she may have been a prostitute. Maybe the person who threw her down there gathered up her clothes and threw them down there too, to get rid of any evidence of her being in his house.

I think the extra set of clothes found with her would be considered her's...if the shoes weren't 2 sizes smaller. I know for a fact you cannot cram a size 8-8 1/2 foot into a size 6-6 1/2. It isn't physically possible.

This would have to point to another person owning at least the shoes and possibly the set of clothing (they haven't released sizes on those). The white dress/outfit with mesh stockings and pumps sound to me like clothing worn to an office type job instead of a hooker on the street. This leads me to believe someone could have ditched the clothes because of evidence on them or there could be another victim somewhere.

The clothing she was wearing did sound a bit flashy, but if she were out at a club or on a date...it wouldn't have been out of the norm for that time. So I don't think neccessarily she would have been a prostitute.

Here is another one and she would have been 23 if this had occurred back in 1983. She fits the description and the man said they were in Penn.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/350dfon.html

MGregory1.jpg
461UFPA.jpg

hhmmm... interesting, and they drove through PA too. I wish there were another photo of her (Mary Gregory)... when searching for the other ones I was focusing on the shape of the lady's face and wide-set eyes... (hair color/texture too, if that is accurate).. because that is something that is probably pretty accurate when doing a facial reconstruction.
(On Charley project I went from the 50's up through '72.)

One of the reasons I guessed prostitution is that so many of these women fall through through the cracks, come from broken homes and then live under the radar, so no one missed them. That along with the mesh stockings and heels,, well.. just a guess.

Mesh stockings could have been considered very "fashionable" at the time and along with the rest of the outfit would have fit this notion.

I did notice the chinline isn't as square as Mary's on the reconstruction, but I don't know if that is consistent all of the time. Anyone know if this can be incorrect or if the jawline is usually right on the money?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eleanor D.
Back