GUILTY MO - Alexus Purtty, 13, stabbed to death, St Louis, 5 July 2007

Why? What could make him think that this would be a solution to his issue with the little girl? I think the parents need to be looked at and charged with raising a homicidal maniac. They made him what he is. They should be at least an accessory or criminally negligent for doing such a horrible job raising their child.

TWELVE YEARS OLD???????????????????????????

WOW.

How sad. How disgusting. How freakin' scary that we are raising 12 year olds who act like this and are capable of doing something so incrediby heinous. People just don't parent their children anymore. Any 12 year old boy who was at my house boasting that he had stolen things from my home would have his parents get a visit from me first and foremost.

If my daughter was having major issues and problems with the NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR who was obviously very dangerous, there is no way in HELL he would have access to her. She would NOT be outside in the front yard.

I would have called the police continuously. If 7 calls weren't making them respond, I would continue and continue and just not stop until they got there. I don't care if I had to make 107 calls, I would do it.

Where were his parents during all of this??? What were they doing?

Does anybody actively parent their children these days??? Of course, I know many that do, but stories like this involving children make my blood boil, mainly at the lack of active parenting that is always so prevalent in these types of stories. It's the common underlying basic factor in all of these heart wrenching stories.

TWELVE YEARS OLD???????????????????????????
snipped
WOW.

If my daughter was having major issues and problems with the NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR who was obviously very dangerous, there is no way in HELL he would have access to her. She would NOT be outside in the front yard.
I would have called the police continuously. If 7 calls weren't making them respond, I would continue and continue and just not stop until they got there. I don't care if I had to make 107 calls, I would do it.

Where were his parents during all of this??? What were they doing?

exactly. How did this happen? How was this little girl let anywhere near this maniac after a problem was noticed. Enough of a problem that you would feel the need to call the police seven times, but she still was close enough to him to get stabbed. I don't get people. I just don't.

I'm wondering if the mother was calling police about the boys saying that they were the ones who stole something from them previously and didn't realize that the girl was in any danger. The mother may have not realized the boys would come back by and let the girl go outside, or the girl saw them and went out on her own possibly while the mother was on the phone calling police for the 6th or 7th time. The linked article says that the boys had gone by several times that night yelling profanities and bragging about the theft last month.

I would like more details. If they police were only being told that someone was going back and forth in front of their house yelling, I'm not surprised they didn't show up.

Why was the girl outside? Was it to confront the boys? Where was the mom? How did the fight start?

Obviously this 12yo has some serious issues, but the headline implies some sort of homicidal intent instead of a fight between middle schoolers that ended tragically. There is no weapon mentioned. I wonder what he stabbed her with - big difference if it was a switchblade vs. some kind of utility tool.

This is so sad for all of the families involved. Their lives are over so young over something so stupid.

Doesn't it seem like there are a lot of stories in the last few days about kids 10-12 getting in serious trouble (the sister kidnappers, the DUI/police chase at 100 mph...I know there were more). What is going on? Do parents really think these kids are old enough to be unsupervised for long periods of time? It scares me having 2 in that age range.

Some more details:

Witnesses told police that the 12-year-old boy stabbed Alexus in the side with a steak knife after she got into a shoving match with one of his friends.
Police said they logged two calls and sent officers to the home Thursday evening. Both times, the caller reported the whereabouts of a burglary suspect who was gone when officers responded, officials said.

The family members who called 911 never mentioned that the boy was threatening or harassing them, police said.
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...A473E5DEEEC9FFB58625731200086069?OpenDocument

OMG what is happening to our children?..This really scares the crap out of me. I am afraid that this is going to happen around here. I know a lady who has 4 boys all of them are supposed ''bi polar'' and on so many meds they walk around like zombies all day long. The 13 year old was in the kitchen one day holding a butcher knife and when confronted he said in a scary as hell voice that he LOVES knives. I said put it away and he said you can't tell me what to do and walked off...

Note: I AM NOT BLAMING THE PARENTS!!! I have a question though, why was the girl outside the house? Why did she go out where a group of thugs were shouting threats? HOW did she get out? :sick: Did she sneak out when mom went pee? The who stabbed her bears most of the burden of guilt in this crime, and he deserves to pay the full price if convicted in a court of law. But, she also shouldn't have gone out there. Those doors should have been barricaded and the police called to help "because a group of thugs is outside my house threatening my family and we are under siege" I might have added "If you don't get someone out here right now, I will act as a homeowner defending my property." but only if the laws allowed a homeowner to use lethal force to defend themselves in their yard. Some states don't allow this, the person must be in the home. Kansas is this way, and they will investigate to make sure the person wasn't dragged inside after they were shot too.

The mother of the little girl has shown a lot of class despite the tragedy. She was on the news saying she understands the boy that killed her daughter is a child, but that there must be consequences for him. She has a lot of composure and compassion despite the tragedy.

Why? What could make him think that this would be a solution to his issue with the little girl? I think the parents need to be looked at and charged with raising a homicidal maniac. They made him what he is. They should be at least an accessory or criminally negligent for doing such a horrible job raising their child.

Where did this come from? I would never assume that the parents are at fault. Even kids from good loving homes can go bad.

Where did this come from? I would never assume that the parents are at fault. Even kids from good loving homes can go bad.

That's very true. But there is such a pervasive lack of active parenting going on all around us. I don't know the details in this case in particular, but the one question that jumps at me is "Where were the parents" when all of this was going on? This boy obviously had some very serious problems that had been going on for at least a while.

I won't say it's the parents fault because we don't know more details, but I don't think that it's wrong to automatically question their parenting style. I certainly question it---big time. This kid was 12. Was he receiving the help he needed? He certainly wasn't receiving the discipline he needed.

Kids from good families do bad things sometimes. But more often than not, good families and good parenting produces responsible and kind children.

That's very true. But there is such a pervasive lack of active parenting going on all around us. I don't know the details in this case in particular, but the one question that jumps at me is "Where were the parents" when all of this was going on? This boy obviously had some very serious problems that had been going on for at least a while.

I won't say it's the parents fault because we don't know more details, but I don't think that it's wrong to automatically question their parenting style. I certainly question it---big time. This kid was 12. Was he receiving the help he needed? He certainly wasn't receiving the discipline he needed.

Kids from good families do bad things sometimes. But more often than not, good families and good parenting produces responsible and kind children.

Why didn't the girl's mom call the boy's parents. I would have let them know what is going on. How can we expect them to correct what they don't know about.

Why didn't the girl's mom call the boy's parents. I would have let them know what is going on. How can we expect them to correct what they don't know about.

It is reported this happened late Thursday night. At 12 he should not have been outside late at night roaming the neighborhood with friends. That shows a lack of supervision by the parents. Given that this child was breaking and entering at the age of 12 his parents either didn't care what he was doing or knew but were not taking the appropriate steps to correct his behavior. Either way something in his life made him feel that it's OK to behave like a criminal. I am not sure why the girl was outside late at night either but she was in her own yard.

It is reported this happened late Thursday night. At 12 he should not have been outside late at night roaming the neighborhood with friends. That shows a lack of supervision by the parents. Given that this child was breaking and entering at the age of 12 his parents either didn't care what he was doing or knew but were not taking the appropriate steps to correct his behavior. Either way something in his life made him feel that it's OK to behave like a criminal. I am not sure why the girl was outside late at night either but she was in her own yard.

You are making too many assumptions without enough information.
Charging the parents with any type of crime based on the article above is just silly.
This kid obviously has issues, but we have no idea what the parents are like.

OMG what is happening to our children?..This really scares the crap out of me. I am afraid that this is going to happen around here. I know a lady who has 4 boys all of them are supposed ''bi polar'' and on so many meds they walk around like zombies all day long. The 13 year old was in the kitchen one day holding a butcher knife and when confronted he said in a scary as hell voice that he LOVES knives. I said put it away and he said you can't tell me what to do and walked off...

That poor woman. I know her life has to be totally miserable. I think there is so much more coverage in the news about kids' crimes making it obvious that there are a lot of kids out there that have severe mental illness. Hopefully, more will be done as far as intensive treatment and earlier recognition that could prevent tragedies and ruined lives.

From September 2007:

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/13-year-old-spend-five-years-juvie-murder

A slight, skinny boy was convicted Monday of the adult-size crime of murder and ordered to spend five years with Missouri's Division of Youth Services.

The boy, who cannot be identified because of his juvenile status, was convicted in juvenile court of second-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of his 13-year-old neighbor, Alexus Purtty, during a street fight in their northside St. Louis neighborhood on July 5.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back