776 users online (96 members and 680 guests)  



Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida's Treasure Coast
    Posts
    14,502

    GA - Mother Leaves Son In Van For 14 Hours, Eatonton

    EATONTON, Ga. -- A woman was arrested for leaving her 4-year-old son in a broken down van on the side of the road for about 14 hours, authorities said.

    Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said Valise Scott Kenon of Lithonia was charged with one count of cruelty to children after the boy was found by deputies in the van Thursday afternoon. Authorities were tipped off by the boy's grandmother, who called concerned her grandson was in the van, which was parked along Georgia Highway 16 east of Eatonton.

    "Thank goodness he opened a door," Sills said, adding temperatures soared into the mid-90s that day.
    http://www.news4jax.com/news4georgia...58/detail.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,769
    The child needs to be taken away from his ignorant mother...forever.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,212
    Something is not right with this story. I want to know more. If the grandmother was worried...why the heck didn't SHE go and GET the child. Something more is going on here.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,234
    Quote Originally Posted by philamena View Post
    The child needs to be taken away from his ignorant mother...forever.
    agreed!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,769
    Quote Originally Posted by deandaniellws View Post
    Something is not right with this story. I want to know more. If the grandmother was worried...why the heck didn't SHE go and GET the child. Something more is going on here.
    Good question. When exactly did the gma learn that they were missing or late?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,368
    If you read the rest of the article, the mother states that she thought the boy was traveling with his aunt. Maybe she called grandma and said my car broke down, baby with aunt. Aunt arrives and no baby...

    I think Mom is stupid and should pay for her actions. There is no reason not to know your child isn't with you, if, in fact, that is what happened. I cannot see how people can blame the grandma... she wasn't even there.

    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,319
    Possibly grandma wasn't able to drive or disabled in some way that made it so she couldn't go check on her grandson. I don't blame grandma, I blame mom. I don't believe for a second that she didn't know that child was in the van. What was she doing those fourteen hours while he sat in the hot van?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    I don't believe the mom's story, either. When you are the parent of a small child and go on a trip like that, you make a point to know where he is. I find it hard to believe that 14 hours went by and she thought he was with someone else. With kids that small, you should know where they are. If she thought the child was with an aunt, then that would imply she left the child in the van for the aunt to retrieve, the aunt didn't do that, and it took 14 hours to figure it out. If the mom had handed the child off to the aunt, she would know without a doubt where he was.

  9. #9
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I don't believe the mom's story, either. When you are the parent of a small child and go on a trip like that, you make a point to know where he is. I find it hard to believe that 14 hours went by and she thought he was with someone else. With kids that small, you should know where they are. If she thought the child was with an aunt, then that would imply she left the child in the van for the aunt to retrieve, the aunt didn't do that, and it took 14 hours to figure it out. If the mom had handed the child off to the aunt, she would know without a doubt where he was.
    I didn't read it as she thought the aunt would retrieve the child from the broken down van (though that is entirely possible). I read it as she thought he had been in another vehicle the entire trip.

    My heart goes out to that little boy.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    23,035
    snipped from the link;
    http://www.news4jax.com/news4georgia...58/detail.html

    Kenon told police she thought her son was riding with his aunt in the three-car convoy traveling between Sandersville and Atlanta and was not in the van.

    So if they were in a three car convoy and her car broke down, who picked the mom up, where did they meet up and how did she not know where the child was.
    I am really trying to make logic of this, but it is quite a stretch.
    I am not saying anything was intentional, but people just don't seem to have
    their head screwed on right. 14 hours, 14 freaking hours.
    IMHO



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    6,295
    Poor little boy, although I bet this is not the first time he's been neglected or treated poorly.

    I don't buy mom's story for one minute, although I have no doubt that she was able to go 14 hours without thinking to check on him.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    I can't make sense of it, either. She thought he was in another car. Okay. So whose van was it? Did the aunt put the child in the van without the mother's knowledge? Who was driving the van, and who left the child unattended?

    I still believe that a mother should know where her child is within a 14-hour period. I leave my 16- and 11-year-olds home while I work during the summer, and that's only for 6 hours and I still call to check up on them! And they're old enough to stay home!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    556
    Per Rand McNalley, it only takes 2.5 hours to get from Sandersville to Atlanta. What happened in the other 11.5 hours?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    6,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I can't make sense of it, either. She thought he was in another car. Okay. So whose van was it? Did the aunt put the child in the van without the mother's knowledge? Who was driving the van, and who left the child unattended?

    I still believe that a mother should know where her child is within a 14-hour period. I leave my 16- and 11-year-olds home while I work during the summer, and that's only for 6 hours and I still call to check up on them! And they're old enough to stay home!
    Obviously she's not much of a mother. Pretty sad, isn't it?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,319
    Wouldn't you think with children in any of the cars that during that two hour drive they would have had to pull over to a rest stop for a potty break? A child that age would definitely take the opportunity to use the bathroom when given the chance. I know mine were curious and would just pretend they had to go just so they could look at the bathroom.

    I think we'll be hearing more about what really happened in the next couple of days.

    I'm just so glad that he was found before he was injured, either through heat exhaustion, someone kidnapping him or even him getting hit by a car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. LA - Mother leaves toddler at park, mother arrested
    By peeples in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-28-2012, 08:42 PM
  2. NY - Day care center leaves girl, 2, at beach -- for 3 hours!
    By longtallcold in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2012, 10:59 AM
  3. PA Mom Leaves Kids In Car For 6 Hours While She Gambles
    By Filly in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 09:55 PM
  4. Mom Leaves Toddler In Car 8 Hours While She Gambles And Drinks
    By Filly in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-03-2010, 10:34 AM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 04:48 PM