961 users online (212 members and 749 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OMG! You have to SEE this dog!

Believe it or not THIS is a Whippet, known as a "bully whippet". She, yes, SHE carries a double dose of a mutant gene that makes whippets muscular. Is this scary or what?! Apparently she is sweet and has the whippet personality...thank goodness for that.

Link to article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/12/sc...rssnyt&emc=rss

Wendy....

A normal whippet....

Holy cow! A whippet on steroids.

Aw bless her. I bet the other dogs dont mess with her though!

I read another article, will try to find it. But there are people intentionally trying breeding this type of whippet. Thank goodness whippets are not an aggressive breed. I feel sorry for these dogs...because of their build they will live shorter lives. This "doubled muscled" genetic trait has also been seen in other animals. What horrible thought...what if people could breed this trait in pit bulls.

I think she looks sweet......a little muscular but sweet.

It has to do with how whippets can run, correct? I read about them not so long ago. The muscle gene that is "switched on" to make normal whippets is off (ETA:I reversed this, what I meant was, normal whippets make a chemical to supress what happens to the "bully" whippets, thus normal whippet's muscles react/"snap"/expand and contract much faster, and they can run better.) for the bully ones, so (ETA:2 the double) gene takes over. They can't run like other whippets can either. (Are whippets meant for distance runs, and greyhounds shorter runs?) Second let me see if I can find something to explain what I am talking about and quote it here. Ok, the Wikipedia article on Whippets touches on what I am saying, and here is an article on the substance mentioned. (I didn't think I was explaining it very well.) Here is a link to an NPR article about the study, (you have to listen to hear it all I believe) which brings up that there is a hope that this knowledge will help find a treatment for muscular dystrophy. This is a link to an MDA article detailing a study on blocking myostatin.

Er, sorry.....I love science.
    Last edited by KatK; 07-09-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae View Post
    Believe it or not THIS is a Whippet, known as a "bully whippet". She, yes, SHE carries a double dose of a mutant gene that makes whippets muscular. Is this scary or what?! Apparently she is sweet and has the whippet personality...thank goodness for that.

Wendy....

A normal whippet....

Ive never seen anything like this before but Wendy is beautiful in her own special way

Wow, that's wild! My friend has a Whippet and it's really the sweetest dog. Very gentle.

Did they give the poor thing steroids??????

IMO its disgusting that breeders do such things as to "evolve" pets.
    Its one thing to breed a certain breed but its wrong to try to create a new one.

Wendy....

A normal whippet....

Poor thing! She looks like a circus freak!

I read another article, will try to find it. But there are people intentionally trying breeding this type of whippet. Thank goodness whippets are not an aggressive breed. I feel sorry for these dogs...because of their build they will live shorter lives. This "doubled muscled" genetic trait has also been seen in other animals. What horrible thought...what if people could breed this trait in pit bulls.
    Sadie~ Unfortunately I bet people will try to breed this with a pit bull ...so, so sad!!

Quote Originally Posted by czechmate7 View Post
    Sadie~ Unfortunately I bet people will try to breed this with a pit bull ...so, so sad!!
    Omgosh that could be a huge mistake.
    IMO, we don't need meaner dogs for 'mean people' to use as protection or to use for dog fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    Did they give the poor thing steroids??????

IMO its disgusting that breeders do such things as to "evolve" pets.
    Its one thing to breed a certain breed but its wrong to try to create a new one.
    No Amraann...this is how the dog was born. It's a genetic defect of the breed. (Pretty much like white Great Danes being deaf and/or blind.) Whippets carry what they call a "muscular" gene. KatK was right on about it. It's so the racing whippets can run faster. A dog can get a double dose of this gene which results in a dog like Wendy. I have read articles where some breeders are purposely trying to get the "double muscled" whippets. I think that's wrong!!!

Quote Originally Posted by philamena View Post
    Omgosh that could be a huge mistake.
    IMO, we don't need meaner dogs for 'mean people' to use as protection or to use for dog fighting.
    Whippets are very non aggressive dogs. The gene doesn't affect temperament. In fact the ones I've seen are pretty timid and shy. I doubt if a whippet could be turned into a fighting dog. My worry is if that "muscle" gene could be isolated, and used in other more aggressive breeds, ie..rotties, pitbulls, dobermans,presa canario, etc. Can you image running into a Rottweiler built like that!!!???

SadieMae, the gene is tied to running though, so wouldn't likely be prevalent in at least some of the breeds you mentioned, would it? Aren't most of those dogs "work" dogs more than hunting dogs? The genes that make endurance for fighting aren't the same as the genes that make muscles respond faster for longer (ETA: running), I don't think. ETA2: Also, the genes that make for fast muscle response for short distances are different from either, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by KatK View Post
    SadieMae, the gene is tied to running though, so wouldn't likely be prevalent in at least some of the breeds you mentioned, would it? Aren't most of those dogs "work" dogs more than hunting dogs? The genes that make endurance for fighting aren't the same as the genes that make muscles respond faster for longer, I don't think.
    Hiya KatK! I hope it's not in other breeds and not the same thing. But there are so many unethical breeders out there...I can see a dog like this being bred to a more aggressive breed, just to get that gene in it and breeding again to get the double gene. Mixed breed dogs will carry genetics of both breeds. As Amraann stated,these mixed dogs could evole into a highly aggressive type dog by these breeders. I must admit, the dog scared the chit out of me when I looked at the photo not knowing what it was.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast