826 users online (182 members and 644 guests)  

Websleuths News

Barbell Crushes Teens Neck In Weight-Lifting Accident

RICHMOND, Texas A 16-year-old boy who was lifting weights alone at his home died when a barbell holding 240 pounds fell on his neck, officials said Monday.
    A relative found Cameron Michael Schaub lying lifeless on his weight bench Friday, said the Fort Bend County Sheriff's office. A preliminary autopsy by the Galveston County Medical Examiners office showed Schaub apparently died of asphyxiation due to compression of the larynx.
    The teenager's death appears to be accidental, said sheriff's spokeswoman Terriann Carlson. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288726,00.html

I lift weights regulary and I've heard accidents like this happen every year and sometimes people are not killed but badly injured or paralyzed.

You have to be VERY careful when lifting or it could cost you life or limb.

Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    RICHMOND, Texas A 16-year-old boy who was lifting weights alone at his home died when a barbell holding 240 pounds fell on his neck, officials said Monday.
    A relative found Cameron Michael Schaub lying lifeless on his weight bench Friday, said the Fort Bend County Sheriff's office. A preliminary autopsy by the Galveston County Medical Examiners office showed Schaub apparently died of asphyxiation due to compression of the larynx.
    The teenager's death appears to be accidental, said sheriff's spokeswoman Terriann Carlson. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288726,00.html
    That is so awful. A horrible way to die, and all alone and helpless.
    And I feel so bad for the relative who found him.

Quote Originally Posted by UM&AMWfan View Post
    I lift weights regulary and I've heard accidents like this happen every year and sometimes people are not killed but badly injured or paralyzed.

Years ago I lifted weights, but I never did it alone I always made sure I had a spotter, which is someone who stands nearby just in case you cant handle the weights.

Prayers to the family of the young man.

Wow, that's absolutely horrible. Hopefully people will read this and not do any heavy lifting without a spotter.

This actually happened to me once too but it was in a room full of guys twice my size, and the bar was off me in about half a second.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    That's just so sad! I'm with Montana, how awful to die alone and scared like that.
    Just thinkin' out loud....

This family lives near us. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Texana View Post
    I'm not far from where this happened either. I saw his obit in the paper yesterday and just wanted to cry. This family is in my thoughts and prayers.

O my goodness what a terrible accident. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

This was such a tragic accident. My prayers to this young man's family. This has to be very difficult for them.

Any follow up article on this or do you have any follow up info?

Here's his obituary notice.
    http://www.legacy.com/houstonchronic...=SearchResults

The local news said when the news first broke, that his father hopes to talk to the other football players about this (I'm assuming he meant safety concerns, etc.)

Not really much else to say, I guess, except that he seemed like a great kid.

Here's his obituary notice.
    http://www.legacy.com/houstonchronic...=SearchResults

The local news said when the news first broke, that his father hopes to talk to the other football players about this (I'm assuming he meant safety concerns, etc.)

Not really much else to say, I guess, except that he seemed like a great kid.
    I'm glad to hear the dad is willing to do this. Hopefully out of his death he can bring awareness to others about the dangers of lifting heavy weights alone.

Quote Originally Posted by UM&AMWfan View Post

He needed a spotter.