701 users online (91 members and 610 guests)  

Websleuths News

Boy, 6, Drowns While Saving 3-Year-Old Sister

SMITHFIELD, N.C. A 6-year-old boy who drowned in his grandparents' half-drained pool died while saving his 3-year-old sister, family members said.
    James Alton Barbour Jr. died Saturday at the home near Smithfield. His younger sister, Alona, told family members that James had pushed her to the shallow end of the pool, where she stayed in just over a foot of water.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288718,00.html

omg-----how sad!
    God bless his family!

I hope this 3 year old grows up and cures cancer or something. If she doesn't, that's fine too, but boy she was touched by an angel. Amazing that a six year old would react to save someone like that. It just proves that there is some 6th sense about protecting others.

That sent a shiver down my spine. What an amazing little boy and how sad that he lost his life being a hero.

This is just awful. I found the article below about this family. James is the second grandson this family has lost in two years.

For the second time in two years, a Johnston County couple has tragically lost a grandson.

On Saturday, their 6-year-old grandson drowned. In 2006, another grandson was the subject of a high-profile murder case.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1569774/

When we were living in FL, all children at that time from 6 months on learned how to swim. I know that its hard to believe, but I was 11 and going with my brother to swim class, my mother hated to get into a suit and hated swimming. When my children were infants, I also taught them how to swim. Needless to say they were swimming like fish by the time they were two years old, and to this day are excellent swimmers. I wish that all parents would teach their children at a very early age how to swim.

My heart goes out to that family, I cant imagine anything worse than losing a child.

Bless his heart! That poor family. I only wish that he could have ran for help or better yet that the family would have been keeping a better eye on them around the water.
    Happy New Years

This truly breaks my heart. What an amazing little boy.

Having said that, I have a 3 year old and I know where she is at ALL times. And you've got to have a mechanism on the gate that a 3 or even a 6 year old can't open.

God Bless.

God Bless that little boy.