720 users online (80 members and 640 guests)  

Websleuths News

2 dead after small plane hits Fla. homes

A small plane trying to make an emergency landing crashed into a suburban Orlando neighborhood Tuesday, killing both people aboard and starting two house fires that burned two adults and a 10-year-old boy, authorities said.

Matt Minnetta, a fire investigator with Sanford Fire Department, said two people aboard the plane were confirmed dead in the crash and the plane itself was scattered in several pieces. At least three people were injured in one of the homes, including a boy about 10 years old who had burns over 80 to 90 percent of his body, Minnetta said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070710/...ll_plane_crash

One of the deceased is Nascar founder Bill France's son-in-law.

http://www.charlotte.com/209/story/191586.html

The Seminole Co. fire dept. is now saying there are 5 dead...sounds as though the young boy and one of his parents have now passed away. SOOOOO tragic!!!!
    Prayers for all involved.

Oh yes, prayers for all in this tragic accident

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

Prayers to all. I watched a news clip of this a few minutes ago. Very tragic.

So sad and prayers for all involved

God, I don't know why this hit me so hard. I just imagine how crazy it all is for those involved - that you're in your home getting ready for an ordinary day and a plane crashes into your house and devistates so many.

I'm angry at pilots of small planes because it seems that we're always seeing problems on the news and surprised this hasn't happened more. Then again, my anger is really unjustified because no way would the pilot have wanted to hurt anyone, let alone die. I feel bad for his family now, knowing that his crash caused so much grief while they grieve their own.

Smoke in the cockpit is disaster because they can't see. I wonder how well trained you have to be for those unfortunatel circumstances to get your license to pilot.

It's just a sad accident and my thoughts are with all involved.

Tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesleegp View Post
    One of the deceased is Nascar founder Bill France's son-in-law.

http://www.charlotte.com/209/story/191586.html
    Jebus. How sad for Lesa. Sad for everyone of course, but dang.

My father was a commerical airline pilot for 30 years (he started his flying lessons when he was 11 or so) and did retire at the mandatory age of 60. Yes, at one time we had 2 small (4 seaters) private planes and 1 larger than small (10 seater). I hated those small planes, when I look back now, I cant believe that I when into those darn things.

My dads big complaint was that people were getting their license and they were not trained properly, and were not getting enough flying time in. He wanted to see more restrictions in place.

Dr. Kennedy was an amazing and brilliant man. He was so warm and genuine to everyone around him. I can't believe Lesa has lost her father and her husband a month apart. She and her family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Latest developments with the Sanford plane crash

Update 9:32 a.m.

Fresh off his appearance on NBC's Today Show this morning, hero firefighter Ryan Cooper will meet with local media members for a news conference at 10 a.m. He's still at Central Florida Regional Hospital in Sanford, recovering from rushing through the two homes searching for victims without his firefighter respirator. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...l_tab01_layout

Bless this man.

He very truly is a hero.
    ~*~Think Globally, Act Locally! Please Recycle! ~*~

Is the 10 year boy still alive? I was praying for him last night, that his pain would be taken and by some miracle he can be healed with minimal scarring.

Edited to add, I just read he was flown to the Shrine Burn Center in Cincinnati. Stunning that there is not a place closer for him. But, he is at probably the BEST place. I cry for him, burns are the worst and most painful injury there is. God help him.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeDiem View Post
    Is the 10 year boy still alive? I was praying for him last night, that his pain would be taken and by some miracle he can be healed with minimal scarring.
    I think he is. Matt Lauer talked to some of the neighbors on the Today show this morning. The neighbor said he was burned so bad that he looked like he had a flannel shirt on but he didn't. She would tear up just talking about it.

It really made me cry when they said he had given a thumbs up to the medical personel on the scene. What a little trooper! I too am keeping him my thoughts and wishing him well. Just so tragic for all involved.
    ~*~Think Globally, Act Locally! Please Recycle! ~*~