China executes FDA chief

Ntegrity

Former Member
Reaction score
China executed a former drug and food safety chief on Tuesday for corruption in an unusually swift sentence which will serve as a warning amid a series of health scandals that have stained the "made in China" brand.

The Supreme People's Court approved the death sentence against Zheng Xiaoyu, 62, who was convicted of taking bribes worth some 6.5 million yuan ($850,000) from eight companies and dereliction of duty, Xinhua news agency said.

His execution marked the first time China has imposed a death sentence on an official of his rank since 2000.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/10/china.execution.reut/index.html

:eek: :eek: :eek:
They don't mess around over there! Maybe we can better trust the products coming from China after this. I don't want to think I'm poisoning my pets by feeding them food tainted with chemicals.

If only the US would let us do that to corrupt officials. Half of the government would probably be put to death. Heck, makes me wonder if China had their own Enron scandal if they would put those guys to death. I know some people would probably applaud that if it were to happen here in the US.

true--Enron ruined the lives of over 1000 people--no death penalty for that here but the government is getting tougher on these swindlers

Let me get this straight, the guy, who worked in the food industry, was put to death for making a mistake, yet China has a huge sex/pedophile industry that is ignored. How lame is that?

People died due to his cooruption. You can hardly call bold faced acceptance of bribes a mistake.

Let me get this straight, the guy, who worked in the food industry, was put to death for making a mistake, yet China has a huge sex/pedophile industry that is ignored. How lame is that?

He was put to death for looking the other way while tainted products were exported from his country!! He took more than $800K in bribes. I'm not a proponent of the death penalty, but his crime was very serious and his actions could hurt China's reputation badly.

Pardon my ignorance of the news - but is this just about the human food, or also the dog food?

My dog died in the tainted dog food thing, and I am not a proponent of the death penalty, but I'm curious if this man was killed (in a round about way) for poisoning my dog.

Pardon my ignorance of the news - but is this just about the human food, or also the dog food?

My dog died in the tainted dog food thing, and I am not a proponent of the death penalty, but I'm curious if this man was killed (in a round about way) for poisoning my dog.
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/07/10/china-tainted-products.html
China executed the former head of its food and drug watchdog on Tuesday for approving untested medicine in exchange for cash.....

One antibiotic caused the deaths of at least 10 people....

He was put to death for looking the other way while tainted products were exported from his country!! He took more than $800K in bribes. I'm not a proponent of the death penalty, but his crime was very serious and his actions could hurt China's reputation badly.
IIRC, one of the investigative news shows reported about drugs from China having cement and foreign particles in them. Now, they may have been the counterfeit drugs being sold from China and not the "legitimate" drugs.

I've tried to avoid things made in China for years because I don't trust them. Just the other day Target lost my sale for natural cork shelf liners because of being made in China. There's no way I'm putting anything around my dishes and food that came from there after all that's been in the news lately.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back