FL - Mom Blames Sale For Leaving Child In Hot Car

sherri79

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/strange/news-article.aspx?storyid=86323
FORT MYERS, FL (AP) -- A 63-year-old woman is blaming a great sale for the reason she left her small child locked inside a sweltering car for an hour.

Eileen Amy Politano, of North Fort Myers, was charged with felony child neglect Friday after leaving an 11-month-old girl in a car while she went into a grocery store.

Store employees saw the girl crying in the car and were able to rescue her before police arrived. Outside temperature were upward of 85 degrees.

Politano told police she intended to run into the store for a few minutes to buy some meat for dinner, but said there were too many specials to pass up

i was able to find this link with more detail.

http://m.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070707/NEWS0101/70707001/-1/WAP&template=wapart

The great aunt walked out of the store about the time police and paramedics arrived.

When police asked the woman to provide something to hydrate the child, she produced two bottles from the vehicle — one was a quarter full with what appeared to be spoiled baby formula, and the second was half filled with warm and “putrid-smelling” apple juice, Taylor wrote.

Lee said a DCF representative later took the child.

Viele said the woman demanded to have the child back.

“I was not going to give that child back to her,” she said. “I was going to make sure the baby was safe.”

The great aunt entered the store at 11:24 a.m., according to a store video camera. Her receipt indicated that she bought 43 items and checked out at 12:23 p.m., Taylor’s arrest report said.

The woman told police that she was in the store for no more than 20 minutes and that she had checked on the child twice during that time. She said she only intended to buy meat for dinner, but “there were too many specials to pass up,” Taylor’s arrest report said.

Osberg said there’s no excuse for anyone to leave a small child, or even an animal, in a locked car
============
more @ link.

There's something wrong with this picture. What is a 63 yo woman doing having an 11 month old child? Is the child adopted?

IMHO, this needs to be investigated. Not to mention she's apparently too senile to care for a child of this age if she thinks it's ok to leave them alone in a locked car in sweltering heat with nothing but spoiled formula!:(

She had a $15,000 bail! Well fine, but Children's Services needs to visit her home and check this out, ASAP!

JMHO
fran

Sure saving herself a few pennies or even a few dollars is just so much important TO HER then the life of a small child.

I have 3 kids...two teens and a young one that's soon to be 8. When I would go into the liqour store late at night, I'd at least leave the car running with the air on... Ok, I didn't really do that. My wife reads these forums at her job and I wanted her jaw to drop.! ;)

IF I had to go to the store, even to buy 1 thing and had my kids? They all went into the store with me. When my youngest was still in a car seat, I'd lug the carseat with me. Hell, it had a way where you could clip it into a grocery buggy. My thoughts were:"It'll be a cold day in hell before I leave my kid in a car unattended."

So 1 item, storewide sales, whichever...the woman should have taken the child with her. What if the child reached over and grabbed the pen sitting in the seat and started to choke on the pen cap? These things happen!

I'm glad she didn't just "forget" that she had the child with her, but I don't know that this is any better.

What is up with this behavior? It's just not that hard to take the kids into the store with you, and the stakes can be very high. Why do so many people do this?

Like I said before, the child did not enter her mind. It is and will always be ME, ME, ME. It is easier for her not to take the child with her, it is beneficial to her to save a few pennies or a few dollars. It is all about her and if she did this one time, you bet she has done this before.

Of all the lame azz excuses...blaming the store!!!!??? If the sales were so good, why didn't she go back out to get the child...was she really too lazy to do that?

I have 3 kids...two teens and a young one that's soon to be 8. When I would go into the liqour store late at night, I'd at least leave the car running with the air on... Ok, I didn't really do that. My wife reads these forums at her job and I wanted her jaw to drop.! ;)
IF I had to go to the store, even to buy 1 thing and had my kids? They all went into the store with me. When my youngest was still in a car seat, I'd lug the carseat with me. Hell, it had a way where you could clip it into a grocery buggy. My thoughts were:"It'll be a cold day in hell before I leave my kid in a car unattended."

So 1 item, storewide sales, whichever...the woman should have taken the child with her. What if the child reached over and grabbed the pen sitting in the seat and started to choke on the pen cap? These things happen!

If you were my husband I'd KILL you! LOL!:bang:

Edited to add somethings wrong with the forum. I don't know why it seperated out his quote like that. Hmmm....

I think I'm going to take Florida off of my profile.....I'm starting to get embarrassed to say I live here!!!! :doh:

i was able to find this link with more detail.

http://m.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070707/NEWS0101/70707001/-1/WAP&template=wapart

The great aunt walked out of the store about the time police and paramedics arrived.

When police asked the woman to provide something to hydrate the child, she produced two bottles from the vehicle — one was a quarter full with what appeared to be spoiled baby formula, and the second was half filled with warm and “putrid-smelling” apple juice, Taylor wrote.

Lee said a DCF representative later took the child.

Viele said the woman demanded to have the child back.

“I was not going to give that child back to her,” she said. “I was going to make sure the baby was safe.”

The great aunt entered the store at 11:24 a.m., according to a store video camera. Her receipt indicated that she bought 43 items and checked out at 12:23 p.m., Taylor’s arrest report said.

The woman told police that she was in the store for no more than 20 minutes and that she had checked on the child twice during that time. She said she only intended to buy meat for dinner, but “there were too many specials to pass up,” Taylor’s arrest report said.

Osberg said there’s no excuse for anyone to leave a small child, or even an animal, in a locked car
============
more @ link.
is this woman the babys mother ? if not where is the babys mom ?

According to article, she is the great aunt, but says she is the legal guardian...looks like parents and grandparents are out of the picture for some reason.

According to article, she is the great aunt, but says she is the legal guardian...looks like parents and grandparents are out of the picture for some reason.
I may be way off here but...is the great aunt the closest relative "capable" of caring for this baby? What's with the parents and grandparents...heck...even aunts and uncles?!!

I may be way off here but...is the great aunt the closest relative "capable" of caring for this baby? What's with the parents and grandparents...heck...even aunts and uncles?!!

I hardly think she is "capable" after doing something as dimwitted as leaving a baby in the car in the Florida heat.

There is no excuse for it!! She could have simply brought the baby with her.

I hardly think she is "capable" after doing something as dimwitted as leaving a baby in the car in the Florida heat.

There is no excuse for it!! She could have simply brought the baby with her.
Yep...that's why I put it in quotes. If she was the best of the bunch...wow...how stupid is the rest of the family? :waitasec:

Does she really expect anyone to believe that it was too inconvenient for her to take the baby inside with her, but that she left all her terrific buys sitting in the cart inside the store, unattended, while she went out and "checked" on the baby - twice?? Riiigghht.

She's a loon. And she should absolutely not get that child back. No way.

It is bad enough when someone forgets(which is beyond me how anyone could forget their child) but to leave a child in the car, on purpose to save a few dollars is way beyond the function of my brain.

Jesstexas is right, if she checked the child or not(which I agree, she most likely did not) is besides the point. The women seems to think that mitigates her responsibility. I am sure in her mind, it all everyone's fault except her own.

In the second story posted it said a new law had just been passed making it illegal to leave a child unattended in a car for more than 15 minutes. I think it should be illegal to leave them alone at all, even 1 minute.

Also besides the danger the baby was in with the heat and all, there was the danger a pervert could have snatched her. The store employees were able to get in the car (thank goodness), so someone with bad intentions could have gotten in also and she'd be long gone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back