819 users online (129 members and 690 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I watched the video.
    From what I saw, she looked to be very comfortable and nonchalant. She seemed to me to be used to being around Craig, his house and his kids. She wan't being flirtacious or even very friendly. I wonder who she was talking to on the phone. It looked like she stuck her head outside the patio door during one call...maybe she didn't want the other person to hear voices in Craig's house?..."Hi, honey, I'm at the pool at the club with the boys, gotta hurry--kids in the pool, bye!"

Maybe she is related to Craig like a cousin or something. The man has no appeal of any kind-- not wit , intelligence, money, power, talant or charm, his appearance is slovenly, and he has a house full of kids and a potential murder hanging over his head! I can't imagine he would even be able to get any action in prison, for goodness sake!

Maybe they are like the Muensters from oldie tv and she is the pretty sister! EEEeekkkkkk!

Susan

Let me just say...oh the stories I could tell about Amy....she has the ethics of a worm. Now if they can Ben Bradley doing something.

Liz is offline I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo

Cool

Maybe she was doing a little "under cover" work.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    Thanks, Chicoliving!

Jacobson immediately was taken off the Stebic story and was told to hire a lawyer, the Sun-Times reported.

Wan't this part of her job? Double standard garbage from her new atty!: Jacobson’s attorney, Kathleen Zellner, said the tape should not be aired “because unauthorized taping on someone's property is a crime.”
    "You can't just go around videotaping and disseminating the tape. ... To me, it begins and ends there.”
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288819,00.html
    LOL Oh really? Obviously Zellner has never heard of paparazzi.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...ck=2&cset=true

Hello, Teri | Subscribers: Get the Advantage | log out
    Search:

chicagotribune.com >> Business
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reporter's pool visit results in departure
    Amy Jacobson leaves job at Channel 5 after tape of her appearance at Craig Stebic's home is made public

By Phil Rosenthal
    Tribune media columnist
    Published July 11, 2007, 12:01 AM CDT

By showing up in a swimsuit along with her kids, WMAQ-Ch. 5 reporter Amy Jacobson was treading uncertain waters without dipping so much as a toe in the backyard pool of Craig Stebic, whose wife's disappearance Jacobson had been covering.

If Jacobson was hoping to make a big journalistic splash, she instead suffered the self-inflicted sting of a belly flop as her bid to ingratiate herself with a potential source made its own headlines, including this one, heralding her exit from Channel 5.

So the last would-be exclusive she would ever chase for WMAQ instead became fodder for an exclusive at rival WBBM-Ch. 2, which on Tuesday aired and posted online video of her and her children at the same Plainfield residence that Lisa Stebic was moving to evict her estranged husband from on April 30, the day she vanished.

A memo to WMAQ news staff Tuesday announced Jacobson's negotiated exit, effective immediately, from the NBC-owned station, where she had worked since 1996.

"The last couple of days have been tough on everyone," Vice President of News Frank Whittaker and News Director Camille Edwards wrote.

Earlier newspaper reports said Channel 5 was reviewing her conduct and that Channel 2 had tape of Jacobson's Friday visit to Stebic's home. Then Channel 2 made the tape public.

The videotape was neither bought nor shot by a freelancer, said WBBM News Director Carol Fowler, who did not want to say more about its origin.

It is not clear whether Jacobson ultimately was sacrificed because she crossed a journalistic ethical line that says it's OK to be friendly with newsmakers but not really friends or because the station believed the incident was destined to forever brand her in this town more for the news she made than all the news she broke. Station officials would not discuss the matter.

The situation is reminiscent of the 1988 incident in which Giselle Fernandez, then a reporter for WBBM, was contacted by south suburban drug dealer John Cappas about covering his surrender to authorities. Between their interview and federal agents, she went on a speed boat with him and bought him a final pizza, drawing lasting widespread criticism.

"Amy's contributions as a reporter over the last 10 years are numerous," the WMAQ memo said. "Her hustle and passion for news have given us an edge on many top stories. She worked long hours on many days, and we appreciate all she's done."

It's those same traits that this time got Jacobson in trouble.

Jacobson said Tuesday she was not able to comment on the matter. Her representatives, including agent attorney Todd Musburger, did not respond to repeated calls.

I cannot imagine what thought actually brought her to this brink. This intelligent, competent reporter crossed the line this far to do a story? Something tells me there is more to this story! She did not just insert herself at this point and she should be looked at in the investigation as a whole. Maybe she was a friend of his sister's. Maybe she has known him for a long time and the family. She surely had the advantage...but where did it start? We all know where it ended.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

I cannot imagine what thought actually brought her to this brink. This intelligent, competent reporter crossed the line this far to do a story? Something tells me there is more to this story! She did not just insert herself at this point and she should be looked at in the investigation as a whole. Maybe she was a friend of his sister's. Maybe she has known him for a long time and the family. She surely had the advantage...but where did it start? We all know where it ended.
    I agree, there must be much more to this relationship than meets the eye - even if the relationship is innocent, she should have known better than to mix business with pleasure! And if it is less than innocent, then she was just plain stupid!

Some food for thought: I've read in a couple of articles that Melanie Greenberg (Lisa Stebic's cousin) has defended Amy Jacobsen's actions, saying that she has done a good job of keeping the case in the news and reporting on it. I'm wondering if the ties are with Lisa's relatives and perhaps they put Amy up to getting "chummy" with Craig, in order to see what info she could gain from him?

Pretty far-fetched, perhaps, but who's to say to what lengths one might go, given similar circumstances?

We will see what was going on in the future. Hmmm...without the press!
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

I was appalled when I heard this story yesterday Amy Jacobson was NBC's top reporter. I heard it on Dan Abrams show last nite.My Hubby listens to WGN radio everyday and he heard it on there and he said alot of ppl were calling in and saying they thought she got railroaded by WBBM for ratings! She was caught on tape by WBBM who happened to be next door on another story! She showed bad judgement and she is so surprised that she got fired yesterday??? DUH??
    http://www.suntimes.com/news/comment...its11b.article
    Snip......
    Partying with source rightly sinks TV reporter

July 11, 2007
    Reporter Amy Jacobson of WMAQ-Channel 5 got herself fired Tuesday after rival station WBBM-Channel 2 filmed her attending a pool party on her day off, two kids in tow, at the home of Craig Stebic, the estranged husband of a missing Plainfield woman. If you're like us, you're asking yourself, "What was she thinking?"

She was likely thinking it was a good way to cozy up to a key figure in one of the area's juiciest stories this summer. The search for Lisa Stebic has been covered extensively in the Chicago and national media since she vanished on April 30, and it would not be surprising if Jacobson was simply trying to cultivate Stebic's husband as a source. Such are the connections from which scoops are made.

But in a swimsuit? With her sons? Jacobson said the invitation, from Stebic's sister, came as she was on her way to go swimming elsewhere with her children, but she should have changed into something a little more appropriate and dropped the kids off at home. Her bosses know it -- which is why she was fired -- and she does too.
    More at site..............
    Amy's side of the story!

The video that got Amy fired
    HER SIDE OF THE STORY | NBC5's Jacobson didn't think 'lapse in judgment' would result in her termination. 'I'm devastated'
    http://www.suntimes.com/business/fed...eder11.article
    Snip..
    July 11, 2007
    BY ROBERT FEDER Sun-Times Columnist
    Although she acknowledged a "lapse in judgment" for going swimming with the estranged husband of a missing Plainfield woman, Amy Jacobson never imagined it would destroy her career as a reporter for WMAQ-Channel 5.

"I'm crushed. I can't lie to you. I'm devastated," she said in her only interview, just hours after she was fired by the NBC-owned station Tuesday.

"I thought they would suspend me and then support me. I can't believe they did this after all I'd done for them. They know why I was there. There was never any challenge as to my motivation or intent," she said.
    More at site.....
    SUNNY
    IMO/JMO

Uh huh. Sounds like sour grapes to me and she better stop while she still has half a name to fall back on. That is..her husband's. Oh, wait...did HE know she was there with HIS children?!
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

Uh huh. Sounds like sour grapes to me and she better stop while she still has half a name to fall back on. That is..her husband's. Oh, wait...did HE know she was there with HIS children?!
    IMHO, IF she was just there for the story, why would she jeopradize her OWN children? IF a person is capable of killing ONE person, they're capable of killing MORE.

She showed BAD judgment and it cost her BIG TIME! I'd like to know what her husband thinks about this.

JMHO
    fran

curiositycat is offline The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience
    Geeeeeeeeezzzz! I cannot believe she did this!
    If it was an inside track she was TRULY after I personally know how she feels. I have been thinking for awhile now that it is unbelievable that they can't find her or a suspect. It truly frosts my chaps.
    By the way, isn't it a bit soon for him to be partying????? What a COB!!
    "Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect" Steven Wright

<<Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching
    Uh huh. Sounds like sour grapes to me and she better stop while she still has half a name to fall back on. That is..her husband's. Oh, wait...did HE know she was there with HIS children?!>>

You couldn't be more wrong...It is her name...She is a famous Chicago reporter, native Chicagoan.

Go to www.wlsasm.com and listen to the podcast. She clearly states she called her husband and asked his permission before he brought the children.

Craig's sister, husband and three children were there. She was not alone with Craig.

The sister was from Iowa, in from there...it was a one-time chance to cultivate the sister as a source.

Lisa's family (cousin) called in and said how grateful the family is for Amy's coverage of the story.

Imagine how important it is to have a stranger with ears open seeing how the Stebic children are doing and looking for clues as to the disappearance of your relative. The tiniest slip of the tongue can lead to the discovery of Lisa's remains.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesmom View Post
    <<Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching
    Uh huh. Sounds like sour grapes to me and she better stop while she still has half a name to fall back on. That is..her husband's. Oh, wait...did HE know she was there with HIS children?!>>

You couldn't be more wrong...It is her name...She is a famous Chicago reporter, native Chicagoan.

Go to www.wlsasm.com and listen to the podcast. She clearly states she called her husband and asked his permission before he brought the children.

Craig's sister, husband and three children were there. She was not alone with Craig.

The sister was from Iowa, in from there...it was a one-time chance to cultivate the sister as a source.

Lisa's family (cousin) called in and said how grateful the family is for Amy's coverage of the story.

Imagine how important it is to have a stranger with ears open seeing how the Stebic children are doing and looking for clues as to the disappearance of your relative. The tiniest slip of the tongue can lead to the discovery of Lisa's remains.

I couldn't agree more.

But don't bring your kids along.
    He's guilty. Get over it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast