Lady Bird Johnson dead at 94

Class-z

Do Something, Lead, follow or get out of the way.
Reaction score
Foxnews.com

RIP Lady Bird. I've always admired her. She really did a lot for conservation.
She was very smart also and I feel she will be remembered as a very well respected First Lady.

I'm just watchingthis on the news...what a great lady!
I'll remember her every time I drive on the highways in TX...all the bluebonnets and wildflowers along the way!

I'm just watchingthis on the news...what a great lady!
I'll remember her every time I drive on the highways in TX...all the bluebonnets and wildflowers along the way!

I lived in D.C. when she was First Lady. Suddenly Spring and Summer there were beautiful flowers everywhere downtown, in the mall, on parkways, around monuments. A very classy lady. Rest in pease, dear Lady Bird.

I also admired Lady Bird. I would think it wasn't easy being married to LBJ,although he mean't well,he had a very overbearing personality,and through it all,there was Lady Bird with a smile on her face,and always a kind word.

She was a very smart woman with a beautiful soul.

Lady Bird was a great and always gracious woman. No, it wasn't easy living with LBJ. She was never full of anything but kindness and optimism.

She designed and contributed the Town Lake hike and bike trail, which Austinites use daily for exercise and relaxation. She planted flowers all over Washington D.C, and all over Texas.

No woman has contributed as much to the spirit of environmental protection than LadyBird and Rachel Carson.

Her spirit shall last forever. IMO

What a wonderful woman. She left us all a legacy in conservation.

Rest in peace , Lady Bird.

Is it true, for those of you whom remember the time, that she was FINE with LBJ cheating on her? They talked oh so briefly on Fox about her comments on the subject last night.

Is it true, for those of you whom remember the time, that she was FINE with LBJ cheating on her? They talked oh so briefly on Fox about her comments on the subject last night.

I hadn't heard that. I do recall reading/hearing that LBJ had cheated, but that was much later, I think after he died.

Back then, the affairs of the sitting Presidents were not publicized. If they were known by the press, they did not report it. JFK had women in the White House for crying out loud. No one reported it back then.

I read an article in my paper this morning. After JFK was assinated it was Lady Bird that inssited that Jackie stay in the White house to let Jackie wind up her affairs.

I read an article in my paper this morning. After JFK was assinated it was Lady Bird that inssited that Jackie stay in the White house to let Jackie wind up her affairs.

What a stand-up, classy thing to do. Hat's off indeed to her.

I hadn't heard that. I do recall reading/hearing that LBJ had cheated, but that was much later, I think after he died.

Back then, the affairs of the sitting Presidents were not publicized. If they were known by the press, they did not report it. JFK had women in the White House for crying out loud. No one reported it back then.

In the clip they played on Fox, Lady Bird was asked about the affairs, not on camera so I don't know when she said them, they read her comment, and she said to the effect, "LBJ is a people lover, half of the people are women, so of course he's going to love women". :silenced: The way it was said was stunningly funny, the Judge and other anchor, (and I too chuckled), then the conversation awkwardly moved on to something totally different about her.

Ladybird Johnson left a huge legacy to the State of Texas, and maybe the country as well.

She was also always a positive person, and very intelligent. I think few realized how intelligent she was -she had two degrees, ONE a BA of Arts, and also BA of Journalism.

Lyndon asked her out at the University of Texas and they drove around in his car. He asked her to marry him ON THE SPOT - she though they should wait awhile LOL.

Once she married Lyndon, she pretty much became the "Wind Beneath his Wings"...she didn't really want him to go into politics, but once he decided to she embraced it.

She quietly worked to improve the world in her own special way -the hike and bike trail, the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center, the flowers planted on the highways, and in Washington DC.

She raised two really nice Daughters, Luci and Lynda Robb, who married Charles Robb of Virginia. They are really classy women, who do little to try to call attention to themselves. They just participate and give to their chariites; etc.

She suffered a stroke some years ago, and has not been able to speak. I have no doubt that Lyndon was not always kind to her and that he may have cheated. He had a big ego. I also have no doubt that he loved her, and depended on her.

My father rode in Air Force One once with them and Barefoot Sanders. He told a very funny story about it. I cannot do my father justice on that.

Basically, Johnson was eating, my father tried to ask him some questions about his ranch. (my father loved farming). Johnson ignored him. He was too busy eating; although no food was offered to anyone else on the plane.

My father decided to ask again when he had swallowed LOL. No luck, Lyndon would not be bothered while eating. He treated my father and Barefoot like "peons". Finally, Ladybird leaned over and said, "It's ____grass", graciously answering my father's question.

My father left the plane thinking Johnson was "crude", but he really liked LadyBird. My father always said that none of the social programs Johnson got credit for would have passed had not Kennedy died. Johnson passed Kennedy's programs and legislation, such as integration and I forget what else at the moment.

Regardless, LadyBird was a wonderful person and left a great legacy here in Texas.

P.S. I am really good friends with her former Secret Service agent; so might have some more stories in the future.

OMG, thanks so much for sharing Martha. Amazing to have your perspective.

OMG, thanks so much for sharing Martha. Amazing to have your perspective.

Thanks; yes that story I just told no one else knows; I'm sharing it from my father's book. :blowkiss:

I plan to "refresh" my memory when I talk to the SS agent. He has told me some stories, but I have forgotten them.

This guy is really funny; so they're priceless.

I'm going to be attending some of the funeral activities.

I spoke with my secret service friend, and they were having a special gathering of all the secret service men she has had through the years, this afternoon.

Tomorrow a "celebration of her life"; then her entourage will go by the hike & bike trail and on to Johnson City for her burial. A friend of mine and I are going down Sun. morning for that.

Today's paper had a huge amount of information on her, including the famous picture of her sitting in the bluebonnets with the straw hat.

She was very shy when young, and had to overcome that. Nature was her "companion".."Mrs. Johnson was the genteel counterbalance to her husband's brash political whirlwind, which landed them in the White House"

Websites: wildflower.org; www.lbjlib.utexas.edu - there is a final tribute to her at the site right now

Books: Lady Bird Johnson: A Life Well Lived - by Harry Middleton
Lady Bird Johnson: Our Environmental First Lady - Lewis.L.Gould

And there are at least 5 other books about her

I spoke with my secret service friend, and they were having a special gathering of all the secret service men she has had through the years, this afternoon.

Tomorrow a "celebration of her life"; then her entourage will go by the hike & bike trail and on to Johnson City for her burial. A friend of mine and I are going down Sun. morning for that.

Today's paper had a huge amount of information on her, including the famous picture of her sitting in the bluebonnets with the straw hat.

She was very shy when young, and had to overcome that. Nature was her "companion".."Mrs. Johnson was the genteel counterbalance to her husband's brash political whirlwind, which landed them in the White House"

Websites: wildflower.org; www.lbjlib.utexas.edu - there is a final tribute to her at the site right now

Books: Lady Bird Johnson: A Life Well Lived - by Harry Middleton
Lady Bird Johnson: Our Environmental First Lady - Lewis.L.Gould

And there are at least 5 other books about her

Thank you for all this info Marthatex.:blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members