GUILTY Wi - Tyrone Ware, 50, killed by drunk driver, Green Bay, 8 July 2007

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- A motorist hit two pedestrians, then drove home with one of the bodies lodged in his windshield, police said. The man in the windshield died.

Police said Steve Warrichaiet was drunk when he struck the pedestrians as he returned home from a friend's house late Sunday.

One pedestrian was found lying on a street, critically injured, but police said the second victim remained lodged in Warrichaiet's windshield while he drove seven blocks home and parked in his garage.

Warrichaiet's sister, Donna Gutowski, said he called her early Monday, minutes after midnight.

More: http://pantagraph.com/articles/2007/07/11/news/doc469558ceed756996718593.txt

Awful!
There was a simialr case here and Paperdoll was going to serve on the jury. I think she asked to be excused, but it was a high profile case.

This guy obviously knew he was out there putting others in danger for some time, since he said to his sister " Now I really did it. I killed somebody. He was probably drinking and driving often.

It does bring back the horrid case of that awful woman who left the homeless man to die in her windshield as he begged for help. I hate to even think about that case.

We need to make drunk driving penalties way ,way more harsh. People just do not take them seriously enough.

You are so right Montana.

This guy obviously knew he was out there putting others in danger for some time, since he said to his sister " Now I really did it. I killed somebody. He was probably drinking and driving often.

It does bring back the horrid case of that awful woman who left the homeless man to die in her windshield as he begged for help. I hate to even think about that case.

We need to make drunk driving penalties way ,way more harsh. People just do not take them seriously enough.

I remember that case and being so disgusted at the disrespect for human life that girl had. IMO, this person is no better. Just despicable the lack of respect for human life.

The sister says he is mentally ill...and we have to get all the mentally ill people off the streets.....why didnt she start with her own brother and have him committed....or at least make sure he didnt drive?
geesh take responsibility for your own before blaming others!

The man had enough presence of mind to cover up his crime and attempt to sober up. He knew he killed someone. It sounds to me talking about suicidal thoughts that this man was depressed, as in mental illness.

He knew what he was doing and tried to cover it up and deflect responsibility, therefore his consciousness of guilt is profound.

It is so easy to blame "mental" illness, but in actuality this man is like every other drunk who gets behind the wheel of a car and kills someone and tries to cover it up. He knew right from wrong and could appreciate the consequences of his actions, therefore fully responsible.

You cannot have a family member committed that is an adult, unless you have their medical power of attorney. They have to commit themselves, and once they commit themselves, they can leave anytime they want. I have gone through this with a sister of mine.

I agree, the penalties need to be harsher. The article mentions the woman from a few years back, saying "Chante Jawan Mallard was convicted of murder and sentenced in 2003 to 50 years in prison." Hopefully this guy will get the same.

You cannot have a family member committed that is an adult, unless you have their medical power of attorney. They have to commit themselves, and once they commit themselves, they can leave anytime they want. I have gone through this with a sister of mine.

Actually, it IS possible to have an adult committed. I know, because I had my husband committed to a mental health ward because of his suicidal depression. Even after he was released from the hospital, he was still mandated by the court to report to a County Social Worker for an additional six months. At the end of the six months, I was given the option to have the 'committment' extended, or to let it expire. (Yes, even after he was released from the hospital, the additional six months was considered part of the 'commitment' because he was mandated to report.) If he would have failed to report to the social worker, he could have been re-admitted to the hospital - and this time, it would have been the STATE hospital. Having the prospect of being sent to the STATE mental health hospital hang over his head proved to be incentive enough for him to follow all of the social worker's recommendations, and I am happy to say, he is very mentally healthy today!

In Canada if you are a danger to yourself or other's yes you can be held against your will because you may harm yourself or others.

How about this recent one here in OH?
SIXTH DUI, fined $800, 5 yrs probation, 4 months in halfway house. Driving privileges suspended 5 years, with no possibility of work driving privileges for the first 3 years.

Any bets on whether he will NOT drive for 5 years? Drunk?
What, no takers on that one? If I sound cynical, it's because we have had way too many of these multiple-DUI offenders who did go out and kill someone while (again) driving drunk.

How about this recent one here in OH?
SIXTH DUI, fined $800, 5 yrs probation, 4 months in halfway house. Driving privileges suspended 5 years, with no possibility of work driving privileges for the first 3 years.

Any bets on whether he will NOT drive for 5 years? Drunk?
What, no takers on that one? If I sound cynical, it's because we have had way too many of these multiple-DUI offenders who did go out and kill someone while (again) driving drunk.

That's all he got for his 6TH DUI? :eek:
You are so right! That "tap on the wrist" will not stop this guy at all. You'll be reading about him again. Probably not long from now-- after he's killed someone, or a whole family.

--me too--That case still haunts me--She just watched him slowly bleed to death--Thankfully, the judge threw the book at her--Think she got 40 years

From February 2008:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/0...tuck-in-windshield-sentenced-to-15-years.html

A motorist accused of hitting two pedestrians while driving drunk and making it home with one of them lodged in his windshield was sentenced Thursday to 15 years in prison.

Steven Warrichaiet, 40, of Green Bay, pleaded no contest in December to charges of homicide by intoxicated use of a motor vehicle, hit and run resulting in death, injury by intoxicated use of a motor vehicle and hit and run causing great bodily harm...

[Joann] Carroll-Hildahl was left lying on the pavement after the accident. She is paralyzed and in a nursing home...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back