TX - Mark Portillo, 4, dies in trampoline accident, 10 July 2007

People don't realize, but trampolines can be very dangerous. I know plenty of kids (and adults) that have had some pretty serious back injuries on them. My sisters kids have one, but they don't play on it unsupervised!!

NO! They are everywhere. I don't have one, but my kids have been on them at neighbors.

Such a tragic accident. I'm sure the mother will have a hard time forgiving herself for telling him to go out to play.

Trampolines scare me. My aunt has one for her kids and my son was playing on it when he was about 2. My husband was on it with him, even holding him, and he nearly was injured. They just aren't safe.

How tragic! Prayers for the family.

Trampolines are very dangerous. We will never have one. I know it won't stop my kids from using them at other people's homes but I still refuse to have one here.

We have friends whose homeowner's insurance dropped them because they had one in the backyard.

A few moments my a$$.

I love how parents always try to minimize just how long it was they left their children unsupervised.
Like the women who went grocery shopping and left the baby in the car claimed she was "only" gone for 20 minutes when it was more like an hour!

My brother wanted to buy one for my daughter this past year for her birthday and i said absolutely not..thinking of mainly the trips to the E.R. i would have to make for broken limbs.
My boss has one in his backyard that is screened..and when the kids are done he padlocks it..his kids are not aloud to be on it unattended at all.

Bless the poor little boy that passed, and his family at this time

This makes me so sad. God Bless that little boy.

Trampolines have always scared me and I will never buy one for my daughter. My neighbors have the kind with the fence around it and I'm dreading the day my daughter notices it and wants to go play on it. :( I think I would let her on it ONLY if I were right there supervising.

We have a trampoline. It has the enclosure around it. However, we only allow one kid on at a time. We don't let anyone other than our kids use it unless their parent is there to watch them.

I think I read that the majority of the injuries come from 2 or more kids jumping and falling on each other. That causes most of the broken limbs I think.

We had one but I got rid of it after my kids came in the house crying too many times from getting hurt...My mom broke her leg on a trampoline...my one friend has one and she has ''bigger'' kids then mine and everytime we go over there her kids get mine on the trampoline and want to wrestle and body slam them I won't let my kids on there anymore and my friend laughs at me and calls me overprotective ...let boys be boys..etc etc..i'm like no your kids arent killing my kids sorry. I don't like them and won't ever get another one.

At the same age, my niece was on a trampoline with her father and broke her leg. Spent half of that year in a cast.

Even with supervision, small kids shouldn't be on those things.

One of my good friends had one when we were younger, I would go over there everyday and we would play on it. We would have as many as 4-5 of us on it at a time and we never had any problems.

I think that they are fine...I have been hurt riding my bike more than jumping on the trampoline.

The child should not have been on it unsupervised.

One of my good friends had one when we were younger, I would go over there everyday and we would play on it. We would have as many as 4-5 of us on it at a time and we never had any problems.

I think that they are fine...I have been hurt riding my bike more than jumping on the trampoline.

The child should not have been on it unsupervised.

I said small children. I don't know many 4-year-olds who ride a bike.

My almost four year old loves our trampoline. She is always supervised. In fact, I stand by it, I don't even go sit down. I have taught my kids how to stop themselves if they start bouncing out of control. (do this by sitting position). Used correctly, I don't think trampolines are any more horrible then riding bikes. I also think with trampline safety parents should look at their kids. Some kids are very accident prone and uncoordinated. Some are not.

**I would rather have on in my yard where I can supervise and enforce trampoline rules, then to have my kids use neighbors trampolines.

My almost four year old loves our trampoline. She is always supervised. In fact, I stand by it, I don't even go sit down. I have taught my kids how to stop themselves if they start bouncing out of control. (do this by sitting position). Used correctly, I don't think trampolines are any more horrible then riding bikes. I also think with trampline safety parents should look at their kids. Some kids are very accident prone and uncoordinated. Some are not.

**I would rather have on in my yard where I can supervise and enforce trampoline rules, then to have my kids use neighbors trampolines.

Good points, laini. My niece isn't accident prone or uncoordinated, but she was using a neighbor's trampoline when she was hurt and almost certainly didn't know what she was doing, despite her father's supervision.

My neighbor has one that my boys play on all the time with her kids, but only if one of us is there watching to make sure there isn't a lot of horseplay. I remember getting hurt on the one my grandma had bought for all the grandkids. My uncles thought it would be fun to launch us kids up in the air about 7 feet! I flew up, hit a tree branch and landed on my back. Luckily I was just bruised and scraped up.

I think all kids love them. The safest way I've seen is for them to be dug in the ground - still need adult supervison for young kids. This poor mother will propbably be guilt ridden for years.

This poor mom like so many of you say. Will have to live the rest of her life with this. But I disagree with those that say the 4 year-old had no business on it.That is like saying they should not be allowed to go in a pool.Sometimes I think now days we protect our kids to much. Heck when I was growing up. I used to jump off the roof and land on a matress.And after I learned to ride a bike I was going down hills as fast as I could. And that was in the days of no helmets or pads.
It was a mistake I agree. But how many times have we heard of a child wandering out of the house into a back yard pool.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back