Avian Flu in the U.S. - Roanoke VA

pedinurse

Former Member
Reaction score
Va. flock of turkeys tests positive for bird flu

Virus may be mild strain; state bans all live poultry sales and shows for July

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19695983/

ROANOKE, Va. - Virginia banned all live poultry sales and shows for the rest of July following the discovery of avian flu antibodies in a flock of 54,000 turkeys on a Shenandoah County farm.
State veterinarian Richard Wilkes issued an order Monday canceling all sales and exhibitions, Elaine Lidholm, a spokeswoman for the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, said Tuesday. The ban remains in effect until July 30.
The avian influenza strain poses no danger to humans, Lidholm said.

Great book to read re: the Avian Flu is entitled, "FOWL!," written by Dr. Sherri Tenpenny...she exposes a lot of misconceptions about the 'threat' of Avian Flu - I think her book is a must read for those that are concerned re: a possible threat/outbreak.

Va. flock of turkeys tests positive for bird flu

Virus may be mild strain; state bans all live poultry sales and shows for July

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19695983/

ROANOKE, Va. - Virginia banned all live poultry sales and shows for the rest of July following the discovery of avian flu antibodies in a flock of 54,000 turkeys on a Shenandoah County farm.
State veterinarian Richard Wilkes issued an order Monday canceling all sales and exhibitions, Elaine Lidholm, a spokeswoman for the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, said Tuesday. The ban remains in effect until July 30.
The avian influenza strain poses no danger to humans, Lidholm said.

Wow, that's serious. But it has to be mutated to a human form to be dangerous. If we cull quickly, as some other countries have done, it may nip things in the bud.

Avian flu IS a serious threat, and must be watched carefully around the world.

Martha, it's not as much of a threat as we've been led to believe. Read the above post I've shared -- if you can, find Tenpenny's book at the local library -- and read it.

Dr. Tenpenny is a good friend of one of my friends. Tenpenny's medical offices were burned down (Ohio) shortly after her book went on the market. Strong suspicion is that this was arson. I think she may still have pics of the fire up on her website.

Tenpenny speaks the truth, something sadly lacking in this society of ours. She paid a price for it, but I'm glad she wrote that book -- it was a real eye-opener.

I was really out of the loop about it - last fall it was all we heard about, espeically with some of the very rare suspected human "jumps" and cases overseas. They even had some tracking oh, there's bird flu in russia, france, ect... I didn't even know it had made it to our country until I'd seen this article! I find it funny that when it was all over europe it was all in the news, but by the time it made here it wasn't that big a deal... it wasn't splashed everywhere! Wasn't even something that had crossed my mind in forever until I saw this article by chance...

Martha, it's not as much of a threat as we've been led to believe. Read the above post I've shared -- if you can, find Tenpenny's book at the local library -- and read it.

Dr. Tenpenny is a good friend of one of my friends. Tenpenny's medical offices were burned down (Ohio) shortly after her book went on the market. Strong suspicion is that this was arson. I think she may still have pics of the fire up on her website.

Tenpenny speaks the truth, something sadly lacking in this society of ours. She paid a price for it, but I'm glad she wrote that book -- it was a real eye-opener.

that is really sad. i'm so sorry about her office - what a horrible loss. it takes so much to build up all that information. i hope she is doing well.

Kim Ii; I have read plenty. I've been married to a physician for 37 years.

Please read what I said; it is a danger IF IT MUTATES. Scientists predict it will mutate eventually; but culling the flocks like we are all around the world helps keep it at bay. Of course people have died over in the Asian Countries.

Scientists admit that it MAY or MAY NOT mutate into human form. we don't know.

But we want to be SAFE, rather than SORRY - you know kind of like terrorism? In fact, a terrorist could bring a disease over here and kill a whole bunch of us.

I was really out of the loop about it - last fall it was all we heard about, espeically with some of the very rare suspected human "jumps" and cases overseas. They even had some tracking oh, there's bird flu in russia, france, ect... I didn't even know it had made it to our country until I'd seen this article! I find it funny that when it was all over europe it was all in the news, but by the time it made here it wasn't that big a deal... it wasn't splashed everywhere! Wasn't even something that had crossed my mind in forever until I saw this article by chance...

This is the first it has been in our country to my knowledge. I believe some Canadian ducks or geese have at it; but this isn't the same as the human strain.

Kim Ii; I have read plenty. I've been married to a physician for 37 years.

Please read what I said; it is a danger IF IT MUTATES. Scientists predict it will mutate eventually; but culling the flocks like we are all around the world helps keep it at bay. Of course people have died over in the Asian Countries.

Scientists admit that it MAY or MAY NOT mutate into human form. we don't know.

But we want to be SAFE, rather than SORRY - you know kind of like terrorism? In fact, a terrorist could bring a disease over here and kill a whole bunch of us.

viral illnesses are just too easy to pass. i forget which influenza outbreak it was - i think 1918? I may be getting the dates for which outbreak it was mixed up, but I watched an interesting documentary which had a theory about the outbreak - actually stated that some researcher thought they had the outbreak linked to swine? It was one of many theories. Anyway, I really can't remember... it has been a lllonnng time but it was one of those documentaries made to scare the heebeegebies out of you. Very sad. You just can't be too careful...

Not what I was talking about at all (my info was wrong) but here's some info on the 1918 flu.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol12no01/05-0979.htm

viral illnesses are just too easy to pass. i forget which influenza outbreak it was - i think 1918? I may be getting the dates for which outbreak it was mixed up, but I watched an interesting documentary which had a theory about the outbreak - actually stated that some researcher thought they had the outbreak linked to swine? It was one of many theories. Anyway, I really can't remember... it has been a lllonnng time but it was one of those documentaries made to scare the heebeegebies out of you. Very sad. You just can't be too careful...

Not what I was talking about at all (my info was wrong) but here's some info on the 1918 flu.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol12no01/05-0979.htm

I think you are correct. It was a horrible epidemic; killed so many.

We do have some more available resources today to fight epidemics, but a serious one could still be scary.

It's not just Avian Flu jumping over to humans that we have to worry about. I've read that we're due for another horrible strain of human flu like killed so many people in past years.

It's not just Avian Flu jumping over to humans that we have to worry about. I've read that we're due for another horrible strain of human flu like killed so many people in past years.

Really, hadn't heard that. I guess Asian flu? Hopefully maybe they can keep ahead with vaccines, get them out in time. NO, past flu seasons have been overblown.

The more that are vaccinated tho, the less spread. I don't really understand how it all works.

Marthatex - Avian flu has been around forever and it has been contained. The threat of it mutating, according to Tenpenny's stats, is extremely rare.

I've no doubt you've read quite a bit. So have I -- I am a researcher by trade (former legal assistant - married to a Corporate Partner Attorney).

There is a reason Tenpenny's offices were torched. Her book reveals a LOT vis-a-vis the politics behind the avian flu scare. I am always open to new opinions and will never hesitate to change my viewpoint should I read something which warrants my changing my viewpoint.

Tenpenny's book did that for me re: the avian bird flu scam. I had my doubts prior to reading her book re: the information I was going to find. I was, quite frankly, appalled, with what I found and read.

For anyone who may perhaps be concerned and fearful of the avian flu, this is a MUST READ book, but that's just my humble opinion. :)

Here is a small excerpt from Tenpenny's book (pp. 16-17):

"Old player in a new game"

..."The first highly pathogenic avian influenza virus was isolated on the Italian peninsula in 1878. Like many immigrants of the Ellis Island era, "Flow Plague" as it became known, reached the shores of the U.S. via New York City sometime in 1924. The initial outbreak, along with another that occurred five years later, was contained through the destruction of the poultry stock in the entire area."

"It is presumed that when a highly pathogenic influenza virus is found in a flock, the virus will be transmitted indefinitely through the stool of the birds. Complete destruction of all the birds is considered to be the only option for eradicating the outbreak, even if the birds show no sign of the infection. That practice continues today with the large-scale culling of flocks used to eliminate the presence of the virus."

"Records show that since 1959, there have been 21 reported outbreaks of highly pathogenic avian influenza worldwide. The majority have occurred in Europe, with a few emerging in Mexico and Canada. Of the 21 incidents, five resulted in significant losses to regional economies. Minor outbreaks occurred sporadically throughout the U.S. and abroad until 1983, when a major epidemic of highly pathogenic H5N2 appeared on farms in rural Pennsylvania. Two years and $70 million later, the outbreak had been controlled. However, nearly 17 million birds -- mostly chickens and domestic ducks -- had been destroyed, leading to escalated consumer costs of approximately $350 million, mostly due to a 30 percent jump in retail egg prices."

"In another part of the world and nearly ten years later (2001), H5N1 viruses were isolated at the Western Wholesale Food Market in Hong Kong from geese imported into the central slaughterhouse. Widespread testing was undertaken and many birds throughout the province were found to be positive, prompting authorities to order the slaughter of virtually all poultry -- chickens, ducks, geese, and quail -- in the territory. The slaughter cost the farms and markets across the region more than $10 million."

..."In February 2004, an outbreak of H5N2 viruses afflicted poultry on a single farm in Gonzales County, located in south-central Texas. Detected through routine monitoring for the presence of influenza viruses, the affected birds were quarantined and the area was disinfected. The quarantine was lifted March 26, 2004, and, after five days, the U.S. Department of Agriculture announced that the Texas outbreak had been completely eradicated."

..."The preceding chronology illustrates that avian influenza outbreaks have occurred in the U.S. wth varying degrees of severity for many years. Taken in context, there is a very real concern for economic losses to the poultry industry. If the presence of H5N1 is detected in U.S. flocks, the financial consequences to the poultry sector could be dire. However the nation and the economy have weathered HpA1 outbreaks in the past; this is nothing new. Keep that in mind -- and don't panic -- if and when the media starts hawking the "arrival of H5N1" in this country."

Ingri Cassel and Don Harkins are mentioned by Dr. Tenpenny in the forward to her book. Cassel and Harkins are good friends of mine who happen to be investigative journalists, and it was these two who told me about Sherri's book.

Sherri's offices mysteriously burned shortly after the publication of this book, but thankfully, she was up and running in no time and she continues to speak out about the bird flu hype.

Dr. Tenpenny is to be commended for writing the truth about the avian bird flu hype scam.

We're way overdue from all the sources I have read. Even when I got my passports this week, they contained information leading to weblinks on what to do if pandemic flu hit while traveling abroad.

We're way overdue from all the sources I have read. Even when I got my passports this week, they contained information leading to weblinks on what to do if pandemic flu hit while traveling abroad.

Thanks for your expertise; I'm definitely not a nurse but have learned some things by reading and "medical dictation", etc.

But I trust MY HUSBAND, and WHO doctors; certainly not myself.

Sorry, but I don't CARE if it's hype or not. I don't want to have a risk of my life, my family's lives, or anyone else's -- for a bunch of birds and people who think they know everything. If kill the birds, stop the virus is the way to contain it -- then do it. One farmer's loss of a few birds has much less POTENTIAL harm than taking a chance on something that NO ONE can be sure will / won't happen.

Sorry to all who know doctor's/ other professionals, but ANY virus has a chance of being dangerous to someone. There is just no point in taking that chance. NO ONE knows everything about anything -- there are always unknowns.

The "flu" in it's many forms, has been around since before humans. Autism, in its many forms, has been around since before vaccines were invented. Mad Cow, Ebola, Aids, Avian Flu, West Nile - all mutating viruses that made the leap from other species to humans. They are not the 1st, and will certainly not be the last. The human genome is in constant flux - as is the human brain. We are just now learning how miraculous, resiliant and vulnerable the human organism is...and has always been.

We can overcome one and 10 more stand waiting to take it's place. We cannot possible protect everyone from every potentially deadly virus unless we all live in isolated, germ-free environments where contact is limited to the virtual and not the physical. Isolation is just as deadly as the viruses we would be hiding from. It's only with weathering each immune assault and creating an artificial or natural resistance that future generations can be protected. Our immune system is in constant "learning" mode and one day the deadly viruses of today will meet immune resistant humans in which it has no dire consequence - either by vaccination or nature. The problem is, another set will take their place - just as humans change, so do the viruses. They are "living", just like their victims. Each is codependent on the existence of the other - neither can survive in isolation.

I have stopped worrying about the constant cries of "the sky is falling". The human animal has managed to survive for a very long time and we will continue to survive - at least until the earth becomes unfit for human life. I am more worried about paving paradise and mowing down the jungles and rain forests than the viruses that might be unleashed when we do. Maybe autism is just an adaptation - one day it might allow humans to survive an as yet unknown assault..maybe an autistic researcher will find the answer to cure his or her own condition. Temple Grandin and her unique window of insights into animal behavior come to mind. We do not know the whys of Autism, but we also do not know it's purpose or it's rightful place in the ultimate grand design.

We are here to grow where we are planted and weather the storms that come our way. The balance will come, by accident or by design - it's the way of nature - of which we are all just a small part.
My Opinion

Sorry, but I don't CARE if it's hype or not. I don't want to have a risk of my life, my family's lives, or anyone else's -- for a bunch of birds and people who think they know everything. If kill the birds, stop the virus is the way to contain it -- then do it. One farmer's loss of a few birds has much less POTENTIAL harm than taking a chance on something that NO ONE can be sure will / won't happen.

Sorry to all who know doctor's/ other professionals, but ANY virus has a chance of being dangerous to someone. There is just no point in taking that chance. NO ONE knows everything about anything -- there are always unknowns.

Right; the pandemic may well NOT be happening because we're taking steps to combat it.

flu spreads so fast that it goes around the globe quickly; they feel we are overdue a pandemic. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Sure, viruses are everywhere; pneumonia is very dangerous; but it doesn't spread like that. This virus can be a killer.

I don't believe yelling "the sky is falling either", but if we ignored terrorism, where would that get us? We have to figure out which threats are REALLY CREDIBLE.

I'm sure driving a car is my most dangerous activity; with out a doubt, but I can at least control my driving and not be an idiot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back