685 users online (103 members and 582 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

4-Year-Old Boy Drowns in Wave Pool at California Water Park

This one happened right down the street where I work.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289161,00.html
    TYBEE U WILL ALWAYS BE MISSED AND LOVED.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=61288

Those wave pools are dangerous. The waves can be really big and fast, especially in the moderate and deep end. I thought I was almost going to drown in one when was about 15 - and I was a good swimmer. I clung to the sides until the "waves" were over, but I was gagging / choking and wouldn't get back in. Still won't. I couldn't imagine being four years old and drowning in one... I won't even let my kids walk along the edge where the waves lap because those pools can be so scary. But those places are family oaisis' for fun - so they are made for little kids. They look safe, so people don't even think about it I bet. Next thing you know, your four year old is gone. So sad. Poor baby.

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    This one happened right down the street where I work.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289161,00.html
    Tragic. Okay, where were the adults supervising the child?

Quote Originally Posted by bakerprune64 View Post
    Tragic. Okay, where were the adults supervising the child?
    You want my wild guess??? They weren't!!
    Most likely they were assuming the lifeguard would be watching.
    Typical.

I am amazed at how many parents think that when they go to a Theme park.
    Like they all of a sudden think its ok to let their kids run free.

Truth be told the waves on those pools can be high but nowhere like the real thing in the ocean.

These types of pools in waterparks are extremely dangerous. I am a very strong swimmer and was in one of these in my mid 20's and I struggled staying afloat.

What the hell was a four year doing in one of them???

Quote Originally Posted by NewMom2003 View Post
    These types of pools in waterparks are extremely dangerous. I am a very strong swimmer and was in one of these in my mid 20's and I struggled staying afloat.

What the hell was a four year doing in one of them???
    Better yet why was not he in a life jacket .I know they have them there. It is up to the parents to request one though.
    TYBEE U WILL ALWAYS BE MISSED AND LOVED.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=61288

Please don't take my next question wrong I am really sincerely just curious ....

To those of you who said you almost had mishaps in similar type pools..
    What type of bodies of water were you use to swimming in? And about how long ago was the mishap?

I think in recent years these pools are safer and from the Article it says the park has not had a fatal accident in 8 years and that was not in the wave pool.
    To me that is a darn good track record especially near any type of water.

This makes no sense at all. A 4 year old should be nowhere near a wave pool! I was in one when I was like 13 and thought I was going to die.
    Where were his parents, and where was the life guard (not that I'm blaming them, just curious) and where were the people around this little boy that saw him struggling in there.
    2:30 pm a wave pool in that big of a park would be filled with people.
    2 feet of water is not the deep end at all. At 3, my son is 3.5 feet tall. Somebody must've seen him.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    Please don't take my next question wrong I am really sincerely just curious ....

To those of you who said you almost had mishaps in similar type pools..
    What type of bodies of water were you use to swimming in? And about how long ago was the mishap?

I think in recent years these pools are safer and from the Article it says the park has not had a fatal accident in 8 years and that was not in the wave pool.
    To me that is a darn good track record especially near any type of water.
    The one I went to was in Wisconsin Dells, about 10 years ago or so. I didn't die of course, but I struggled in the deep end to keep above the waves coming. Never swam in an ocean or anything, just ponds & pools. I like to think most people who can swim could atleast get to the edge and make their way back. A 4 year old can't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dena View Post
    This makes no sense at all. A 4 year old should be nowhere near a wave pool! I was in one when I was like 13 and thought I was going to die.
    Where were his parents, and where was the life guard (not that I'm blaming them, just curious) and where were the people around this little boy that saw him struggling in there.
    2:30 pm a wave pool in that big of a park would be filled with people.
    2 feet of water is not the deep end at all. At 3, my son is 3.5 feet tall. Somebody must've seen him.
    Dena, the article said he was found unconscious in 2 feet But I think he could have been much deeper and the wave carried him in.
    I am blaming the parents as its their job to protect their child and clearly he was not being supervised.

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    Better yet why was not he in a life jacket .I know they have them there. It is up to the parents to request one though.
    That is so true!
    We took my brother, who was 13 at the time to a big park. Slides, the wave pool - the whole get out. This child has never learned to swim, and can't swim - I have tried to teach him (we have a pool). He's turning 16 this year. Only now can he doggie paddle. But anyway - I made him wear a lifejacket. He hated it. Even a lifeguard made fun of him - he was getting off on one of the slides, he had just been in the wave pool, and one of the guards said to him as he passed "don't drown" with this big, goofy grin on his face. Sure, he was making a joke and kidding. But I was PISSED. I went over and ripped him a new one, and then went to a manager. I don't know what happened to the kid, but that was way out of line. Even though my brother was a "big kid" he didn't know how to swim. He was GOING to be in a jacket as far as I was concerned. It was rude. Of course, a four year old is COMPLETELY different...

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    Dena, the article said he was found unconscious in 2 feet But I think he could have been much deeper and the wave carried him in.
    I am blaming the parents as its their job to protect their child and clearly he was not being supervised.
    That makes sense, I didn't think of that. This whole thing is tragic and preventable. Drowning is a horrible way to go. That poor baby must have been so scared.

I responded above to your original post.

From what I know the parents were not supervising, the kid could not swim and the parents did not request any floatation devices even though they are provided upon request from the park.

I hold them in the highest percentage of responsibility.

I hope they don't sue, but they will and with our stupid system, they'll probably win.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    From what I know the parents were not supervising, the kid could not swim and the parents did not request any floatation devices even though they are provided upon request from the park.

I hold them in the highest percentage of responsibility.

I hope they don't sue, but they will and with our stupid system, they'll probably win.

I hope they don't either!

poor child!
    I GoodSearch for American Cave Conservation Association. Raise money for your favorite charity or school just by searching the Internet with GoodSearch - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!
    http://www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=908162

It kills me to see parents not watching their children around water. A few weeks ago my family and I went to the pool and there weren't many of us there. A family with four adults and two babies, about 1 and 3, got into the shallow end. I was in about 5 ft of water when I saw the baby struggling to get his head above water. At first I thought that he was just going under like my kids like to do but then I saw that he couldn't regain his footing so I swam over and picked him up and he was coughing and sputtering water. I carried him over to one of the adults and she was like "Thanks, where was he at?" I was so pissed. I pointed to the water and said "Over there over his head!" She just laughted and told the boys mom "You are a bad mama your baby almost drowned." I couldn't believe that they didn't even seemed concerned.
    Happy New Years

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast