900 users online (167 members and 733 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Teen Dies in Dentist Chair While Wisdom Teeth Removed

In a rare, but tragic incident, a Waterloo, Ontario teen died July 4 during a routine trip to the dentist for the removal of three wisdom teeth, according to an article on the Canada-based Web site, Record.com.
    Leejay Levene went to a Waterloo dental surgeon last week, sat back in the dentist's chair and slipped under a general anesthetic.
    But soon, the anesthesiologist noticed something was wrong: Levene began struggling for air. A call went out to 911 as the anesthesiologist tried to resuscitate him.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289171,00.html

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    General anesthesia for wisdom teeth removal ??? - geez, I had mine removed with a good old shot of Novacaine with epinephrine.

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

I had 4 removed by an oral surgeon under general anesthesia. I'm thinking the boy may have had a reaction to the anesthesia. Sad, very sad.

Oh, this is so tragic...how awful.

I had to be put under when I had my wisdom teeth removed -- one had to be cut out, the other two were pulled. I was totally OUT when they did this (considered oral surgery).

I was only 16 when I had this done. I was scared to death and I remember that my dad went with me. Fortunately, I handled the entire procedure well and went home w/o any complications. I don't even recall too much pain afterwards.

How awful for this boy's family! My heart goes out to them...

I had a shot of Valium--Oral Surgeon then just ripped them right out and I didn't feel a thing--

I was 15 when I had mine done, two cut out, two pulled. I was also under general anesthesia and the only ill effects I suffered afterwards were just being in a lot of pain with a very sore mouth for 2 days and only being able to eat things like mashed potatoes and milkshakes. This is so sad and it does sound like this kid had a reaction. I wonder if he'd ever been put to sleep before?

I've had it done both ways. With the last one I was given a choice: I decided to forgo general anesthesia because of the risks involved.

I don't doubt there are some extractions where a general is necessary, but as a rule, I think one should opt for as little anesthesia as possible.

OMG that is so sad and scary.

I just had 2 of my removed a few weeks ago and for some reason i was really really scared to be put to sleep but everything worked out fine. i have to go back to get my other 2 out and i just told my mom about this story and im refusing to get them out now!
    Happiness is the secret to all beauty.
    There is no beauty that is attractive
    Without happiness.
    ♥Christian Dior ♥

I was lucky. Mine never came in!!!!!
    TYBEE U WILL ALWAYS BE MISSED AND LOVED.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=61288

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    I was lucky. Mine never came in!!!!!
    Mutant.

I have one that is nowhere to be found, never coming in. 1 was yanked by my dentist, and my other two I need to see an oral surgeon. The anesthetic probably depends on the location. I was told that more than likely I will be put under since my teeth are far too close to the nerves and bone in my jaw.
    I also know other people who have been completely under.
    My first pull was just a local shot in my gums.

I didn't need to read this. Prayers for that family.
    Happy New Years

Quote Originally Posted by teonspaleprincess View Post
    I didn't need to read this. Prayers for that family.
    I was so hoping that you wouldn't read this!!

I was put on a Valium IV with novocaine in my mouth. It worked great!

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh View Post
    This is so sad and it does sound like this kid had a reaction. I wonder if he'd ever been put to sleep before?
    This is what I was wondering. Some folks just have really bad reactions to the general anesthesia.

Poor guy! That's just so sad.
    Just thinkin' out loud....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast