Teen Dies in Dentist Chair While Wisdom Teeth Removed

ajc2804

Reaction score
In a rare, but tragic incident, a Waterloo, Ontario teen died July 4 during a routine trip to the dentist for the removal of three wisdom teeth, according to an article on the Canada-based Web site, Record.com.
Leejay Levene went to a Waterloo dental surgeon last week, sat back in the dentist's chair and slipped under a general anesthetic.
But soon, the anesthesiologist noticed something was wrong: Levene began struggling for air. A call went out to 911 as the anesthesiologist tried to resuscitate him.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289171,00.html

General anesthesia for wisdom teeth removal ??? - geez, I had mine removed with a good old shot of Novacaine with epinephrine.

I had 4 removed by an oral surgeon under general anesthesia. I'm thinking the boy may have had a reaction to the anesthesia. Sad, very sad.

Oh, this is so tragic...how awful.

I had to be put under when I had my wisdom teeth removed -- one had to be cut out, the other two were pulled. I was totally OUT when they did this (considered oral surgery).

I was only 16 when I had this done. I was scared to death and I remember that my dad went with me. Fortunately, I handled the entire procedure well and went home w/o any complications. I don't even recall too much pain afterwards.

How awful for this boy's family! My heart goes out to them...

I had a shot of Valium--Oral Surgeon then just ripped them right out and I didn't feel a thing--

I was 15 when I had mine done, two cut out, two pulled. I was also under general anesthesia and the only ill effects I suffered afterwards were just being in a lot of pain with a very sore mouth for 2 days and only being able to eat things like mashed potatoes and milkshakes. This is so sad and it does sound like this kid had a reaction. I wonder if he'd ever been put to sleep before?

I've had it done both ways. With the last one I was given a choice: I decided to forgo general anesthesia because of the risks involved.

I don't doubt there are some extractions where a general is necessary, but as a rule, I think one should opt for as little anesthesia as possible.

OMG that is so sad and scary.

I just had 2 of my removed a few weeks ago and for some reason i was really really scared to be put to sleep but everything worked out fine. i have to go back to get my other 2 out and i just told my mom about this story and im refusing to get them out now!

I was lucky. Mine never came in!!!!!:woohoo:

I have one that is nowhere to be found, never coming in. 1 was yanked by my dentist, and my other two I need to see an oral surgeon. The anesthetic probably depends on the location. I was told that more than likely I will be put under since my teeth are far too close to the nerves and bone in my jaw.
I also know other people who have been completely under.
My first pull was just a local shot in my gums.

I was put on a Valium IV with novocaine in my mouth. It worked great!

This is so sad and it does sound like this kid had a reaction. I wonder if he'd ever been put to sleep before?

This is what I was wondering. Some folks just have really bad reactions to the general anesthesia.

Poor guy! That's just so sad.

I was lucky. Mine never came in!!!!!:woohoo:

Mine didn't either until I was about 45. Then they STILL didn't "come in" - they were all four impacted with no tooth actually coming through the gum at all. They were all pointed in toward the teeth beside them. General anesthesia and I LOVED it - best sleep I ever got and after I was SO RESTED I asked them at my recheck if I could just come in every few months and get knocked out and stuck in a back room someplace. :D

OMG that is so sad and scary.

I just had 2 of my removed a few weeks ago and for some reason i was really really scared to be put to sleep but everything worked out fine. i have to go back to get my other 2 out and i just told my mom about this story and im refusing to get them out now!

KC:
You're probably safe the the same agents used on your first surgery.
We really need to know the anesthetic agents and how they tried to resuscitate him before we can say any more.

Crypto6

I kept avoiding this thread till now!!! My 22 yr old is scheduled to have hers out the end of this month. She's never been under anesthesia for anything her whole life. I was doing fine till this thread started! :eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back