Registration Problems

Dark Shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
I know several people who'd like to sign up here and post but can't because they use a free email like yahoo, hotmail or gmail and have been rejected so they tell me. Are these no longer accepted here at Websleuths? I wasn't aware that WS had this policy, nor could I find it in the FAQ's or the registration form. :confused:

TIA
DS

I know I tried to change my e-mail from my IP's email address to my gmail address (which I actually use) not long ago and got a page saying that e-mail was rejected/banned. Once I put my IP e-mail back, I didn't get the page anymore. The topic I started asking about this isn't to be found now, as well. I think they want you to use your IP's e-mail address, (Cox, Comcast, SWB, earthnet, earthlink etc.) and keep that registered. I suppose it's to verify your IP or the like? :confused:

ETA: I also think this is a "hard and fast" rule, that isn't to be challenged. It's Tricia's forum, and she makes the rules. Guess she's ok with not everyone being able to sign up.

Do some IPs not offer a complimentary e-mail account with your internet package anymore? The rule might need to be reconsidered and changed a bit if so?

This has been the rule for a very long time.

The reason for the rule is to prevent spammers as well as other issues.

Anyone with an ISP service has an ISP related email. Dark Shadows why don't your friends just use their ISP email addy?

What if they don't have an ISP e-mail Amraann? :waitasec: :confused: I don't think all ISPs offer complimentary e-mail accounts anymore, and that may be the problem. Could they be "sponsered" or "vouched for" and get a membership or the like? ETA: Also someday I will be moving away, and won't have my Cox e-mail address. I don't know if I will get an ISP e-mail address when we get our own account. (Right now it's in the landlord's name, since it's tied to the cable bill, but the e-mail was set up in our name, and he can't access it at all.) What will I do then, if I don't have an e-mail account from my internet service provider?

What if they don't have an ISP e-mail Amraann? :waitasec: :confused: I don't think all ISPs offer complimentary e-mail accounts anymore, and that may be the problem. Could they be "sponsered" or "vouched for" and get a membership or the like? ETA: Also someday I will be moving away, and won't have my Cox e-mail address. I don't know if I will get an ISP e-mail address when we get our own account. (Right now it's in the landlord's name, since it's tied to the cable bill, but the e-mail was set up in our name, and he can't access it at all.) What will I do then, if I don't have an e-mail account from my internet service provider?

Your already registered here.
All you need to do is contact chicoliving with your updated info.

As for the "vouched for" thing.. Again you would have to contact chico.
This rule is in place for a valid reason and it has spared the moderators a lot of headaches.
I don't know of an ISP that does not include and email addy.

I don't like giving out my ISP email addy because I get too much spam once it's out there. There are very few sites or people that have that addy, one of which is here!

I don't mind the rule though if it's going to keep this place nice and shiny and free of spam. :D

So far I don't think I've rec'd any spam in MY email acct as a result of giving it to WS for registration. Yay for Tricia. :blowkiss:

I don't like giving out my ISP email addy because I get too much spam once it's out there. There are very few sites or people that have that addy, one of which is here!

I don't mind the rule though if it's going to keep this place nice and shiny and free of spam. :D

So far I don't think I've rec'd any spam in MY email acct as a result of giving it to WS for registration. Yay for Tricia. :blowkiss:

You would not as The email addy's are not shared with anyone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back