1563 users online (344 members and 1219 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."

NV - Parents Neglect Starved Babies to Feed Video Game Addiction

Parents Neglect Starved Babies to Feed Video Game Addiction

RENO, Nev. — A couple authorities say were so obsessed with the Internet and video games that they left their babies starving and suffering other health problems have pleaded guilty to child neglect.

The children of Michael and Iana Straw, a boy age 22 months and a girl age 11 months, were severely malnourished and near death last month when doctors saw them after social workers took them to a hospital, authorities said. Both children are doing well and gaining weight in foster care, prosecutor Kelli Ann Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

Michael Straw, 25, and Iana Straw, 23, pleaded guilty Friday to two counts each of child neglect. Each faces a maximum 12-year prison sentence.

Viloria said the Reno couple were too distracted by online video games, mainly the fantasy role-playing "Dungeons & Dragons" series, to give their children proper care.

"They had food; they just chose not to give it to their kids because they were too busy playing video games," Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

~much more at link~

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289331,00.html

Too busy making babies as well.

IMO

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    These two don't deserve to have children.

PATHETIC!!! Stuff like this just angers me to no end. Personaly, I know someone that isn't neglecting their kids in the way of food and shelter (state is picking it up for her, her kids and the new one on the way), but they do put gaming and online life first. It disgusts me to no end... you would think they would shut the pc down, stop popping out babies by every other man, pay more attention to the kids, and get to trying to get off of state assistance.

Sounds to me like a defense Atty might try to use their "addiction" for some type of defense which is ridiculous. Playing games online or otherwise doesn't account for the severe condition the babies were found in.

This couple is lazy, horribly neglectful, and had come into a bunch of money via an inheritence. They simply did not care what condition their kids were in. The babies had to be miserable and crying much of the time. They obviously didn't respond to those pleas for help from them.

Thank Goodness, the kids are out of there and won't be going back.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    That's just so awful. What is WRONG with people?

I'm glad the children are doing well, I hope they have suffered no permanent damage.
    Just thinkin' out loud....

"Police said hospital staff had to shave the head of the girl because her hair was matted with cat urine. The 10-pound girl also had a mouth infection, dry skin and severe dehydration."

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    "Police said hospital staff had to shave the head of the girl because her hair was matted with cat urine. The 10-pound girl also had a mouth infection, dry skin and severe dehydration."
    wonder if the idiots feed the cat?
    IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    All those pictures of the kids and the captions on her's. I'm actually surprised they plead guilty.

A quote from the Article...

"As we become more technologically advanced, there's more distractions," Killen said. "It's easy for someone to get addicted to something and neglect their children. Whether it's video games or meth, it's a serious issue, and (we) need to become more aware of it."

ITs EASY????? WTF???

What a joke! Talk about not knowing someone from myspace! Did you read the whole thing on what a great parent should be doing for their kids and how much she loves her kids?! Wow!
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

It's really a weird story, dont' get me wrong, it's disturbing, but I just looked at her myspace and either something happened from when she made that page or she's just really whacked. That whole page is how much she loves her kids and even mentions how she likes to cook. Makes no real sense unless something really weird happened recently. I think we need more of the details here. But still what they did was awful.
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by EZRA View Post
    It's really a weird story, dont' get me wrong, it's disturbing, but I just looked at her myspace and either something happened from when she made that page or she's just really whacked. That whole page is how much she loves her kids and even mentions how she likes to cook. Makes no real sense unless something really weird happened recently. I think we need more of the details here. But still what they did was awful.

I vote for really whacked....

She though her BABIES were well taken care of -- an 11 mo. with hair matted from cat urine and weighing TEN POUNDS -- that's the size of a two month old (if not younger)! A nearly two year old with that kind of infection?!! And she has the nerve to try to tell people that kids are being harmed by rules and care?

I'll leave my opinion of what SHOULD happen to them quiet...

myspace pages are usually full of BS designed to impress others, i have found, and shouldnt be taken as any sort of truth.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast