TX TX - Bridgette Gearen, 28, Crystal Beach, 14 July 2007

Awww, how sad. If only she had waited on her friends to walk with her to the car. I wonder why she went ahead of them? Something doesn't make sense to me.

Bless that poor baby growing up without a mother because of some scum! It is just horrible. I hope they catch them quickly and make them pay severely!

It definitely doesn't make sense to me, who else is on the beach at that hour of day? Usually just dog walkers/joggers, etc.

What a horrible story, and I feel so badly for her child.

I have to correct what I said earlier, she was found at 6:20 a.m. but went for a walk shortly after midnight according to the Chronicle.

Now it makes more sense, at least, it didn't happen early in the morning.

This is a strange one. I find it hard to believe this was just random, but anything is possible.

Myspace accts:
http://www.myspace.com/bridgette_gearen
http://www.myspace.com/bgearen7

I thought this was an interesting comment on the 2nd myspace:
I like watching movies, bowling, going shopping, watching ballets and plays, love music, and my daughter Kyra and her father (sometimes), also the rest of my family.

Wonder where Kyra's father was at the time she was raped and murdered.....

Interesting that the one friend on the bgearen7 myspace profile that was hers is not only a private profile, but is also stating that as of 7/16/07 (last login) his mood is distressed.

Interesting that the one friend on the bgearen7 myspace profile that was hers is not only a private profile, but is also stating that as of 7/16/07 (last login) his mood is distressed.

I know that was an older profile for her. The quote on his Myspace is:
"Nothing to see here just move on"

Male
30 years old
GROVES, Texas
United States

I wonder what that relationship was about.

How sad. I wonder why she wanted to go out for a drive by herself at midnight? I don't think the friends were planning to go with her but realized that she shouldn't be going alone but didn't catch her in time to stop her from going. I hope LE check her phone records to see if she made any calls that day or received any. Maybe she had arranged to meet someone on the beach or some where close by at midnight. I also wonder how far from her home they were. Close enough for someone to drive from Orange to meet with her?

It sounds like Kyra's father was somewhat in their lives in the first MySpace that she had but when she put up the second MySpace he must not have been around anymore. She didn't think much of guys, love, or relationships so she must have gotten burned pretty bad. I hope that there is family that can take the little girl and love her. How sad for her to lose her mommy when she doesn't have a daddy in the picture.

Hopfully LE will catch the person who did this horrible thing. Another monster on the loose.

How sad. I wonder why she wanted to go out for a drive by herself at midnight? I don't think the friends were planning to go with her but realized that she shouldn't be going alone but didn't catch her in time to stop her from going. I hope LE check her phone records to see if she made any calls that day or received any. Maybe she had arranged to meet someone on the beach or some where close by at midnight. I also wonder how far from her home they were. Close enough for someone to drive from Orange to meet with her?

It sounds like Kyra's father was somewhat in their lives in the first MySpace that she had but when she put up the second MySpace he must not have been around anymore. She didn't think much of guys, love, or relationships so she must have gotten burned pretty bad. I hope that there is family that can take the little girl and love her. How sad for her to lose her mommy when she doesn't have a daddy in the picture.

Hopfully LE will catch the person who did this horrible thing. Another monster on the loose.

She wasn't going on a drive by herself. The friends told deputies that they were all going to go for a drive together but Gearen went outside and the friends soon followed and she ALREADY disappeared that soon???

That sounds pretty suspicious. It sounds like either one of the friends was involved or a friend of the friends was involved. It could just be random but that's a very short time frame for a person to totally disappear if her friends were just following her outside.

It's possible it could be a stalker but it's strange that none of the friends saw anything if they really followed her out that soon. It depends on how long it took the friends to follow her out once she was already outside.

Yeah, I think the comment that the friends are "good folks" is troublesome. Just because their stories all matched? She either had to be followed to that area or the friends know something. I don't see how this can be completely random! (Then again, I think I've seen everything here at WS's, i.e. Duncan/Groene, so it could be random.)

I don't understand why her friends went to bed if she disappeared around midnight. Are we sure she wasn't gone long before that? This is another case of just having the word of the last people she was with, who had all night to get their stories straight if need be.

There are 7 RSO's in the Crystal Beach zip code. Most seem to prefer younger girls, but I'm sure that wouldn't stop them if they had a chance at someone else.

What a shame for her loved ones.

She hated scary movies too. What are the chances she takes off at midnight by herself if she doesn't like scary movies? I'm just throwing that out there....

I would also hope my friends talk to the media about my disappearance. I'm not sure why they wouldn't unless LE advised them not to, but they didn't say that to the media, did they?

If they didn't know anything, what is there to keep from the media? The truth?

As a Criminal Justice major, the little pieces of the story so far seem fishy to me. We all know that there is more to the story than being said. If the friends were right behind her getting ready for a drive, how did they not see her getting into someone elses car or struggling with an attacker? I am sure we will hear more of this sad story as it unfolds over the next few days.

She wasn't going on a drive by herself. The friends told deputies that they were all going to go for a drive together but Gearen went outside and the friends soon followed and she ALREADY disappeared that soon???

That sounds pretty suspicious. It sounds like either one of the friends was involved or a friend of the friends was involved. It could just be random but that's a very short time frame for a person to totally disappear if her friends were just following her outside.

It's possible it could be a stalker but it's strange that none of the friends saw anything if they really followed her out that soon. It depends on how long it took the friends to follow her out once she was already outside.

You are right. They were all planning to go on a drive together. This story sounds fishy to me....real fishy. I'll bet it ends up being one of the friends that ended her life. Maybe she went for a walk earlier with him and he came back but she didn't. Would the rest of the friends all stick to the same story if one of them was responsible for her death? I would hope not but you never know.

It doesn't make sense that the friends wouldn't look for her if she just disappeared before they got outside. I would think they would have been looking all over. Was a vehicle missing or did they think she just took off on her own walking? I think their story is B.S. I hope they don't have the detectives snowed so that they aren't looked at. Maybe LE is just saying that they don't suspect the friends. How could they not question their story?

I hope the rapist/killer didn't use a condom so that LE can get DNA from her body. That way they can check the male friends out and maybe find her killer.

If they were going for a drive right around midnight then why didn't they talk to authorities or look for her until the next morning??? I agree this doesn't sound right.

Any update?

Chronicle Search Results:

http://search.chron.com/chronicle/search.do

Autopsy: Strangling, beating killed woman
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle
Bridgette Lynn Gearen, 28, was raped, beaten and strangled before her body was discovered about 6:30 a.m.
07/19/2007

$5,000 reward offered for Bolivar beach killer
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle
Campers found the bruised body of Bridgette Lynn Gearen near the water's edge around 6:20 a.m.
07/18/2007

Woman found in Crystal Beach was raped
By HARVEY RICE and KEVIN MORAN : Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle
The Galveston County Medical Examiner's Office found that Bridgette Lynn Gearen had also been strangled, but they had not determined the cause of death, Galveston County Sheriff's Maj.
07/17/2007

Community offers reward in Crystal Beach killing
By HARVEY RICE : Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle
The reward for information about the slayer of Bridgette Lynn Gearen was the brainchild of Bob McMeekin, owner of Bob's Sports Bar and Restaurant in Crystal Beach, according to Maj.
07/17/2007

Mom found raped, killed on Crystal Beach
By HARVEY RICE and KEVIN MORAN : Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle
Campers awoke to find Gearen's bruised body near the water's edge at about 6:20 a.m. Gearen was about 5-foot-3 and weighed about 110 pounds.
07/16/2007

Mom raped and killed at popular Texas beach
© 2007 The Associated Press
Bridgette Lynn Gearen, of Orange, also had been strangled, but the medical examiner has not determined whether that was the cause of death, Galveston County sheriff's Maj.
07/16/2007

Yep, something's fishy on the beach and it's not the fish.

I wonder how long the wait will be for DNA results. I wonder if any of the so-called friends volunteered their DNA?

I wonder who stayed home with the baby after the friends left? I have a theory, and I'd love some opinions. Here goes:

Mom and friends decide one of the male friends is going to stay with the baby while the others go out for a drive. Male friend manages to strangle mom to the point that she passes out (one of the articles stated that the ME was unsure if strangulation was the cause of death) and closes the door to the room she's in. He then proceeds to go outside and open and close the gate to make it sound as if she had left. Friend's assume mom went outside / left for whatever reason, and leave a few minutes later, not knowing she was still in the house. The male friend is staying home with the baby, so he has a reason to stay behind. Mom is passed out in a bedroom somewhere even though they think she left. He now has time to rape and beat her and dump her on the beach before the other's return.

Sound possible?

As a Criminal Justice major, the little pieces of the story so far seem fishy to me. We all know that there is more to the story than being said. If the friends were right behind her getting ready for a drive, how did they not see her getting into someone elses car or struggling with an attacker? I am sure we will hear more of this sad story as it unfolds over the next few days.

Welcome to Websleuths, NSR! Love your hat!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back