FL - Police Say Mom Had Kids In Filth, Jacksonville Beach

sherri79

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=86884
JACKSONVILLE BEACH, FL -- It began Sunday night when an off-duty Jacksonville Sheriff's Officer called local police after spotting a woman driving erratically.

Jacksonville Beach police say they watched 44-year old Tammie Marie Nava strike a center median then swerve hard to the right before they pulled her over.

Police say Nava could not perform field sobriety tests and was placed under arrest.

Once at jail, investigators say her breathalyzer tests showed Nava had nearly twice the legal limit for alcohol in her bloodstream.

But when police approached her black Ford Mustang, they were stunned to discover two small children, ages three and one, sitting in the back seat amidst garbage and human waste.

"They found the children," said Jacksonville Beach Police Sgt. Thomas Bingham. "The diapers were overflowing with urine and feces."

"According to the officers who were investigating this, they said there were hundreds of roaches inside the vehicle," said Bingham. "All over the children. All over the contents of the car."

"It was a tremendous stench coming from the car. Just a real thick smell of the urine, feces and the garbage that had been accumulating in that car for a long period of time," said Bingham.

Once in custody, police say Nava repeatedly said, "I'm not drinking drunk, I'm not drinking drunk!"

"The children were taken out of the vehicle. Were cleaned up as best as possible by the officers on the scene and friends were called to transport the children to a relative," said Bingham
==========
more @ link
pictures of the inside of the car....

In the article it said "this doesn't happen overnight, somebody knew something" not a direct quote, but the general gist. This is sick sick sick.

How sad and disgusting for those poor babies, at least they caught her before something really bad happened.

I think I may take some issue with the children being taken to a relative..

IMO most likely the relatives would have been aware of the filth these children were living in and did not report it.

I absolutely agree with you Amraann. Her family must have known, and they should not be put in charge of those poor kids.

Sickening! If her car was so filthy, I don't even want to think about what her residence looked like.:eek:

OH my goodness...please tell me that she will not be able to see these children, she does not deserve the title mother!

mabey the family wouldnt do anything to help them either .. so sad for the poor babies... god :(

Sickening! If her car was so filthy, I don't even want to think about what her residence looked like.:eek:

Could she have been living in her car?

Was she taking her kids to a relative or babysitter while she worked? Wouldn't they have noticed the kids filthiness?

JMO

Could she have been living in her car?

Was she taking her kids to a relative or babysitter while she worked? Wouldn't they have noticed the kids filthiness?

JMO

my questions too.
if there were relatives that were available to call, how could these relatives
not know what was going on.

They should have put them in foster care until they determined if the family knew about what was going on. Like the officer said this doesn't happen over night someone knew and never reported this. I don't think those kids should be with the family. OMG that is so terrible. She should never see those kids again. What a waste.

Fortunately the state will probably take possession of the children. They certainly deserve a better life than one living in feces filled diapers while their drunk birthing unit drives the car.

I'm hoping that the relatives had been turning in this woman for having the kids in filth. Sometimes child services can be called to investigate and the home and kids can pass their inspection before kids are eventually taken away.

I just don't get how people well especially ''mothers'' can do things like this to their precious innocent babies? I guess I just love my kids too much because I don't even like for them to have a messy face and i'm reaching for the rag to wipe them..to imagine cockroaches crawling on my kids or diapers filled with pee & poo oh God what is wrong with this lady? :furious: The cockroach thing just really p*sses me off.

Did yall see that roach on top of the strawberry package in the last picture!?!?! OMGosh!!!! :eek: I am soooo grossed freaking out!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think I may take some issue with the children being taken to a relative..

IMO most likely the relatives would have been aware of the filth these children were living in and did not report it.

Agree totally - any family that is around isn't concerned with the living conditions if it went on. Reading this story made my stomach churn...what a disgusting woman.

I can't believe someone could look at children in that condition and let them go with a "friend" of this person.

What kind of friend would this type person have?

mabey the family wouldnt do anything to help them either .. so sad for the poor babies... god :(

That is why I have issue with them being sent to live with a relative!

TxsVicki there is no way her car was that infested with roaches and her house was not. If DCF went to the house .. I can't believe they would have found anything different then the filth they found in her car.

Philamena, I am sorry... But most likely DCF will give these children right back to her. FL DCF has probably the worst track record in the country.

They notoriously give back children who later die or suffer further irreparable abuse.
They will take away ONE abused child but leave other children in the home of the abusive parents.

Looking at the picture of what was in the car I think she and the children were living in it. I hope and pray the relative that the kids were sent to lived far enough away that that would be their excuse for not knowing about her situation.

Looking at the picture of what was in the car I think she and the children were living in it. I hope and pray the relative that the kids were sent to lived far enough away that that would be their excuse for not knowing about her situation.

Lizzy, my thoughts exactly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back