August meteor shower will be 'great show'

close_enough

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The annual Perseid meteor shower is expected to put on a great show this year, peaking in mid-August with a display of dozens of shooting stars each hour.

The Moon will be out of the way, leaving dark skies for good viewing as Earth plunges through an ancient stream of comet debris. Little bits, most no larger than sand grains, will vaporize in Earth's atmosphere, creating sometimes-dramatic "shooting stars."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20070...eagreatshow;_ylt=Aikg0KIA3togDYGgMopoCXcE1vAI

I can't wait for this!!

Hubby's one employee is really into Astronomy and has some very expensive high powered telescopes that he will set up for such an event so I am looking forward to watching through those:)

I can't wait for this!!

Hubby's one employee is really into Astronomy and has some very expensive high powered telescopes that he will set up for such an event so I am looking forward to watching through those:)

I'm looking forward to the shower. We are so far away from any city or even town lights and some nights I can go outside and see the milky way so clearly, especially with no bright moon.

That reminds me, I went down to the keys when Halley's Comet last came around. Took my dad with me. Some kind soul around Islamorada had his telescope out and we had a good view of the comet, even though it was a flop. Dad had seen it in 1910 when he was 7 years old.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back