CA - Horse lived in feces-filled home/child hid from flies

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
Is there some kind of contest going on where you win if you treat your child(ren) and/or animals as horribly as possible?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/17/BAG5FR1VUN9.DTL
MODESTO
Horse lived in feces-filled home/Child hid from flies in tent inside his bedroom
(07-17) 17:46 PDT MODESTO -- Modesto police have arrested a man and a woman on felony charges of child endangerment after discovering that a "mini-horse" lived in their home's kitchen and dining room, which were covered with trash and feces.

An animal control officer visited the one-story house at 1233 College Court on Monday after neighbors told police about the horse and seven dogs kept in the back yard. Joe Curtis Silva, 30, denied having a horse in the house, but the officer saw Silva trying to load the animal into a vehicle and called for more officers to investigate, police said.
"The conditions were horrendous," said John Bear, animal control supervisor for the Modesto police. "This miniature horse had been housed indoors for I'm guessing a good length of time by the amount of animal waste that was built up inside the house." The boy who lived in the house told police he had been sleeping in a tent inside his bedroom to protect himself from the infestation of flies, Bear said.

if you have a weak stomache i wouldnt check out the pictures at the site.

O-M-G...I should have listened to your warning. I have NEVER in my life seen such absolute FILTH in a house!!!! How could they tolerate living there! If my cat has a poopy accident I have to clean it up and shampoo the spot. I might be a slob because I'll let my dishes sit in the sink until the next day, but this is unbelievable. I've seen horse stalls cleaner than that place.

What were they doing with the horse anyway? :waitasec: The poor dogs! If the one in the picture is like all the rest, those people need locking up. :behindbar

Something is severly wrong with people like this. Burns me up!!!

I know! I can't believe there weren't any animal abuse charges filed. That one little doggie was in horrible shape.

My garbage cans outside look better than their house. That poor little boy too. :sick:

Well, I'm sorry I didn't heed your advice! My garbage can looks better than that kitchen.

I don't suppose that woman cooked in the kitchen. Wonder what and where they ate? barf!

That's one of the worst places I've ever seen pix of.

I'd love to know if they own the house, or rent it.. Pity the landlord, if they are renters.

And the poor child ~ what can you say?

so...the Wok was being used as a feed trough?

and whats the deal with the sheet? Used to give place for horse to lie down or cover trash?

If I had to live this way, I would go to school one day and never come back, they probably would never had noticed anyway. I wonder if there was any indication at the boy's school that something was wrong at home, or if he was even attending. I mean, I cannot imagine doing and returning homework, bathing, or even finding clothing to attend school in this kind of environment.

I SERIOUSLY do NOT understand what is wrong with people. Those pictures of the conditions of the house were horrendous. The boy was living in a tent?
Ok, so they obviously had to have bought the boy a tent or provided it to him and helped him put it up so they knew it was bad! Sooooo, WHY did they have to have this horse inside the house, or at all? That poor child!!!!!!!!!! It just turns my stomach at the filth he was living in!
AND HOW could there be no animal neglect charges brought forth? That little dogs hair was completely matted, he/she will definitely have to be shaved down and they should not have been living in that filth either. I think animal charges should also be filed.
I am soooooooooo glad that child is OUT of there!!!!!!!

That is so disgusting. I admit my house gets a little messy but I could never live like that. The child had to have stunk, didn't anyone notice? My mom has a friend with multiple cats and she doesn't clean the liter pans like she should and my mom has to take a shower if she goes over there to help clean or drop stuff off because the smell gets on her.

That little dog in the pics looks so unhappy though - you can see it!

The only thing I can hope is that this little boy will come through this and be better for it. By taking the initiative to try to keep his area fly free, he's shown that he doesn't enjoy or condone the way his life is. Often times, children become better adults because of this kind of exposure to a way of life that is unsatisfactory. I feel sorry for the little boy and the animals. Just horrible.

Those pictures are nasty! My anal personality could never, ever, ever allow me to exist in conditions anywhere close to that....disgusting! Heck, even my barn would never look like that. I am a neat freak.
But I can tell by the pics of the adults that they aren't highly motivated individuals.

:sick:

I tend to think that people who allow themselves to live in that type of squalor have some pretty severe mental health issues going on. Truly, this is more than a case of the lazies. So sad.

I would guess that the young boy has never known anything different. I hope that these people and those animals can get some help.

I hope this comes out right, it's the first time I've posted a link...

"The couple rented out the miniature horse for children's parties, and the produce that littered the dwelling was used to feed the animal, said Sgt. Ed Steele."

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/article/20070718/NEWS/707180405/1033/NEWS01

Good Lord! From that article link:
"The dogs and the horse were taken to an animal shelter, but Silva and Surkala will be allowed to reclaim them, Sol said. The horse appeared to be in good condition, although the dogs looked to be in some distress, she said."

So, their child is in protective custody due to the filthy squallor they live in and they are actually going to be allowed to reclaim the horse AND the dogs that they ADMITTEDLY say looked to be in distress????? Ummm, something is wrong with this picture.......:bang:

By the looks of the house, it should be condemmed, flattened and started over, just like the horses/dogs and the little boy need the opportunity for a fresh life. That is absolutely horrible.

I have multiple horses and dogs and even cats. Only one cat is indoors. The three dogs are in and out. The horses are definitely out, even though one would walk in if I let her, LOL. I definitely know horse poop. That was horse poop in the pictures (yuck).

The fly issue is bothering me. With all our animals and living in the country we are constantly fighting flies. These flies bite. I open a door to go in and out and flies always come in. My solution? Two metered fly spray units high up on the walls. It does the trick. They die. I thought about this poor boy getting bitten by these flys. I know house flies don't bite, but stable flies definitely do. Last night one was in my shower. I got him out, but drying off and putting lotion on and drying my hair, that one fly wouldn't leave me alone. I had to stop what I was doing and grab some spray. I just couldn't get him by swatting. He kept landing on my ankles. I use a natural fly spray to keep them off any horses confined to the pens or barn and spray the barn walls with fly spray. It does help some. I have to spray the side of the house. They seem to congregate toward any heated surface.

Definitely need to file animal cruelty charges also. That horse was definitely living in the house. Unbelievable!

I have multiple horses and dogs and even cats. Only one cat is indoors. The three dogs are in and out. The horses are definitely out, even though one would walk in if I let her, LOL. I definitely know horse poop. That was horse poop in the pictures (yuck).

The fly issue is bothering me. With all our animals and living in the country we are constantly fighting flies. These flies bite. I open a door to go in and out and flies always come in. My solution? Two metered fly spray units high up on the walls. It does the trick. They die. I thought about this poor boy getting bitten by these flys. I know house flies don't bite, but stable flies definitely do. Last night one was in my shower. I got him out, but drying off and putting lotion on and drying my hair, that one fly wouldn't leave me alone. I had to stop what I was doing and grab some spray. I just couldn't get him by swatting. He kept landing on my ankles. I use a natural fly spray to keep them off any horses confined to the pens or barn and spray the barn walls with fly spray. It does help some. I have to spray the side of the house. They seem to congregate toward any heated surface.

Definitely need to file animal cruelty charges also. That horse was definitely living in the house. Unbelievable!

ITA, I just don't get how animal charges are NOT being brought forward! They openly say that the produce on the FLOOR is what they were feeding the horse...ok, well, the FLOOR is covered in poop, so the FOOD is covered in POOP and we saw the pic of the one dog with super matted fur! What is wrong here that they are returning the animals? Where is the mandates for cleaning the home first and providing the appropriate housing for a HORSE?

I would think the parents haven't been taking their meds. I done think these people were sane.

OT...BarnGoddess I found these at Lowes. They're about $5.00. They really work well, just add water. I have some in my back yard, and my friend put them in her horse stables.

flytrap.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998