Midtown Manhatten Manhole Explosion -- NYC

Pocono Sleuther

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/...n=9&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

NEW YORK (AP) -- Fire and emergency crews responded to the scene of a suspected steam explosion near Grand Central Station in Manhattan on Wednesday during the evening rush hour, officials said.
The New York Police Department said a steam pipe exploded. There were early reports of two people injured. The NYPD said the blast does not appear to be terrorism-related.

I've been right there on Lex Ave numerous times. And at this time of day it is BEYOND busy.

I'm watching it on the news right now. It's crazy.

Scares you to death with all the threats they are saying are going on right now.

Strange with all this Bin Laden crap in the news lately,that there would be steam pipes bursting,in Manhattan,near the Grand Central Station,at the busiest time of the day. Strange indeed. I wonder how they can come to the conclusion so quickly,that i doesn't seem terrorist related.

I can almost hear the terrorists now:"Those stupid Americans.all looking up to the sky for another attack,lets be smart and do it from bottom to top this time."

Hmmmm,one never knows.Or am I reading too many news articles lol.

"Terrorism isn't to blame for every accident in NYC."

Of course I realize that you silly goose! :)

But I suppose the residents of NY have the right to feel a bit more skittish and skeptical than most,when incidents like this happen.

Strange with all this Bin Laden crap in the news lately,that there would be steam pipes bursting,in Manhattan,near the Grand Central Station,at the busiest time of the day. Strange indeed. I wonder how they can come to the conclusion so quickly,that i doesn't seem terrorist related.

I can almost hear the terrorists now:"Those stupid Americans.all looking up to the sky for another attack,lets be smart and do it from bottom to top this time."

Hmmmm,one never knows.Or am I reading too many news articles lol.

It's definitely not strange to me. Con Edison runs a crappy business and doesn't have the money it needs to repair everything it needs to. Instead, they consistently lie to cover their own butts and Bloomberg lets them get away with it. The blackout we experienced last summer was because of old, overloaded, faulty systems. LaGuardia airport lost power first and in a mad dash to get them up and running, they knocked out half of Queens. It was ridiculous and Mayor Bloomberg's lack of urgency was pathetic. In the meantime, Con Ed workers have said to people that it will probably happen again because they are only patching the problem as to truly fix it would take years and a lot of $$$. Meanwhile, in Astoria we have had several instances of exploding manholes due to underground fires or steam issues. Or what about in Manhattan where people and their dogs have been electrocuted b/c a Con Edison box on the sidewalk was live.

Can you tell how fired up this gets me? I spent around 12 days last summer with electricity - no refridgerator - nothing. Then con Edison tries to weasel out of paying back our $300 reimbursement. They need to get their act together and Bloomberg needs to start holding them accountable.

It is a shame this incident happened and I can't imagine the horror these people must have felt in the wake of 9/11. However, this could have been avoided. I smell huge lawsuits coming Con Edison's way, which will probably mean in increase in our bills.

It's definitely not strange to me. Con Edison runs a crappy business and doesn't have the money it needs to repair everything it needs to. Instead, they consistently lie to cover their own butts and Bloomberg lets them get away with it. The blackout we experienced last summer was because of old, overloaded, faulty systems. LaGuardia airport lost power first and in a mad dash to get them up and running, they knocked out half of Queens. It was ridiculous and Mayor Bloomberg's lack of urgency was pathetic. In the meantime, Con Ed workers have said to people that it will probably happen again because they are only patching the problem as to truly fix it would take years and a lot of $$$. Meanwhile, in Astoria we have had several instances of exploding manholes due to underground fires or steam issues. Or what about in Manhattan where people and their dogs have been electrocuted b/c a Con Edison box on the sidewalk was live.

Can you tell how fired up this gets me? I spent around 12 days last summer with electricity - no refridgerator - nothing. Then con Edison tries to weasel out of paying back our $300 reimbursement. They need to get their act together and Bloomberg needs to start holding them accountable.

It is a shame this incident happened and I can't imagine the horror these people must have felt in the wake of 9/11. However, this could have been avoided. I smell huge lawsuits coming Con Edison's way, which will probably mean in increase in our bills.

That must have been really scary. I didn't realize until watching the news that there's a whole 'nother city down below the streets that we can't see. And dangers lurk!!! Really scary.

Our older infrastructure needs replacing in many cities.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back