LA - Six teens for brutal assault on 17yo boy, Jena, 2006

The trouble in Jena started with the nooses. Then it rumbled along the town's jagged racial fault lines. Finally, it exploded into months of violence between blacks and whites.

Now the 3,000 residents of this small lumber and oil town deep in the heart of central Louisiana are confronting Old South racial demons many thought had long ago been put to rest.

One morning last September, students arrived at the local high school to find three hangman's nooses dangling from a tree in the courtyard.

The tree was on the side of the campus that, by long-standing tradition, had always been claimed by white students, who make up more than 80 percent of the 460 students. But a few of the school's 85 black students had decided to challenge the accepted state of things and asked school administrators if they, too, could sit beneath the tree's cooling shade.

"Sit wherever you want," school officials told them. The next day, the nooses were hanging from the branches.

AN interesting read:
http://www.thebarackobamareport.com/the_barack_obama_report/2007/07/racism-raises-i.html

I guess the good ole boy deep south racism is rearing its ugly head in Jena.

My goodness, hanging noose from a tree, a prank.

It seems like the black people in this town need bodyguards to live there.

I guess the good ole boy deep south racism is rearing its ugly head in Jena.

My goodness, hanging noose from a tree, a prank.

It seems like the black people in this town need bodyguards to live there.

Racism exists everywhere. It isn't just a deep south problem.

They are carrying this story in the U.K. and Germany. This is a huge case of injustice and our mainstream media doesn't seem to give a $$$$. Oh, well.....Breaking news: another hiccup from Lindsay or Paris or Britney...............

Ok I don't get this at all pedophiles don't get this kind of time? Second degree murder doesn't get this kind of time. Are these people living in the 19th century?

That's the kind of racism that doesn't make it big in the media broadcasts because it is so ugly! Something like Michael Vick gets tons of press. I haven't even heard of this case until it was brought up on a Vick thread. I'm surprised Cal hasn't posted on this one. And some people wonder why some blacks have the attitudes they do about whites....not only is their treatment historical, it still happens today. I find that embarrassing and shameful. Those that argue/blame blacks always play the race card should be on this thread too. Funny that no one has posted here that are making so much noise about blacks defending Vick haven't said a word here. Amazing this thread only has 7 posts and was started weeks ago...seems everyone would rather argue *IF* Vick is being judged before his trial because he's black. Yet no one wants to talk about this.

How can vick an animal cruelty case be racial? I read a little about it when it first happened big flipping deal. There are people being murdered, raped, tortured who cares about an *advertiser censored* that has more money than he knows what to do with. As far as blacks having a right to feel the way the do I am not sure I agree with you our whole society is full of cr*p. Little children should not be raped, abused, killed, nor pregnant women or teen age girls going to the store for a birthday gift. IT ALL SU*Ks. And it really seems to me the majority of this depravity is white on white.

That's the kind of racism that doesn't make it big in the media broadcasts because it is so ugly! Something like Michael Vick gets tons of press. I haven't even heard of this case until it was brought up on a Vick thread. I'm surprised Cal hasn't posted on this one. And some people wonder why some blacks have the attitudes they do about whites....not only is their treatment historical, it still happens today. I find that embarrassing and shameful. Those that argue/blame blacks always play the race card should be on this thread too. Funny that no one has posted here that are making so much noise about blacks defending Vick haven't said a word here. Amazing this thread only has 7 posts and was started weeks ago...seems everyone would rather argue *IF* Vick is being judged before his trial because he's black. Yet no one wants to talk about this.

That's exactly why I brought it up. Jannuncutt pointed me to this thread, so I posted a snip of the article thinking maybe that was the reason that there were NO responses. Oh well, it's not just here, it's everywhere...NO ONE wants to talk about it, these are the kind of issues that we should see on the evening news. This case is an outrage!!

There is an online petition that you can sign here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/aZ51CqmR/petition.html

How can vick an animal cruelty case be racial? I read a little about it when it first happened big flipping deal. There are people being murdered, raped, tortured who cares about an *advertiser censored* that has more money than he knows what to do with. As far as blacks having a right to feel the way the do I am not sure I agree with you our whole society is full of cr*p. Little children should not be raped, abused, killed, nor pregnant women or teen age girls going to the store for a birthday gift. IT ALL SU*Ks. And it really seems to me the majority of this depravity is white on white.

I agree momdd...but if you've followed the Vick thread, it has become a race issue. It is NOT! I see no reason why race even got into that thread. It IS about animal cruelty.

I agree momdd...but if you've followed the Vick thread, it has become a race issue. It is NOT! I see no reason why race even got into that thread. It IS about animal cruelty.
It got into that thread because the article linked indicated that the NAACP was contacted as to how to handle the indictment of a colored man not a dogfighter.

As to Jena 6, I can't get the links on my computer here, but I am trying to understand the situation and when I know more have no doubt I will be a sad and outraged as the rest here.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070806/NEWS01/708060309/1002/NEWS

Sharpton Calls for an End to Jena's Double Standards

Well, the Shreveport Times has suddenly decided to report on the Jena 6. You know, this case dates back to last fall. Why are they just now getting to it? One might come to the conclusion that it is because Sharpton and Jackson have gotten involved. Certain types just love to hate them that much! They are so vested in their hatred for these two that they end up making the story about them and not the issue. Well...........if that is what it takes to get this case into the mainstream media - so be it!

Okay, flame away :D

For starters yes it is a horrible situation. Poor Mychal Bell was convicted of two felonies - aggravated battery and conspiracy to commit aggravated battery. Wrong in my opinion. It was a school fight.

But, it is a small community of less than 3000 not the country as a whole, that may very well be why there has been no big national outcry. Al baby could have and should have been there long ago, I seriously doubt he had not known about this very early on. He waited to make the most of if for himself not these boys.

It was in fact allowed for them to sit under the tree by the school. Thats a good thing, sad is that they would even have to ask.

I have also read a great deal of conflicting stories.The dirt balls who hung the nooses were suspended rather than not punished at all

The man who fought with the boys at a conv. store claims they threatend him and he responded. Plus his rifle was found in one of their yards.

The party was attended by both blacks and whites indicating the fight that broke out there was a result of any uninvited kids.

I am not defending the backwards racism that is in that town or the wrongful prosecution of these boys. But for things to change the have to start in their own back yard. It is not every person in that town that is nuts, just the ones in charge and as always a few jerks who mess it up for the rest.

Okay, flame away :D

For starters yes it is a horrible situation. Poor Mychal Bell was convicted of two felonies - aggravated battery and conspiracy to commit aggravated battery. Wrong in my opinion. It was a school fight.

But, it is a small community of less than 3000 not the country as a whole, that may very well be why there has been no big national outcry. Al baby could have and should have been there long ago, I seriously doubt he had not known about this very early on. He waited to make the most of if for himself not these boys.

It was in fact allowed for them to sit under the tree by the school. Thats a good thing, sad is that they would even have to ask.

I have also read a great deal of conflicting stories.The dirt balls who hung the nooses were suspended rather than not punished at all

The man who fought with the boys at a conv. store claims they threatend him and he responded. Plus his rifle was found in one of their yards.

The party was attended by both blacks and whites indicating the fight that broke out there was a result of any uninvited kids.

I am not defending the backwards racism that is in that town or the wrongful prosecution of these boys. But for things to change the have to start in their own back yard. It is not every person in that town that is nuts, just the ones in charge and as always a few jerks who mess it up for the rest.
Rino,

I have no reason to flame you. You may view the facts/infomation provided differently than I but, that is okay. You are not me. At least you seem to care about justice. Me too! By the way, I do agree with you about Sharpton. Of course, he knew what was going on, I do not like him. I stated in a thread (now gone) that I think that he is an opportunist with an agenda of himself. However, if it took him going there to make this case receive the attention of the mainstream media - I am all for it because I care about justice for these boys.

It is hard for me to imagine the racism that exists in that community. My town is around the same size. When I was in school (has it really been 20 years? :eek: ), we all hung out together. Black, white, geek, headbanger. Sure there were people who were igmos from each group. For the most part though, we all got along really well and friendships crossed categories. The black students had "the wall" and half the kids over there were white.

I am so sick of people hating others because of their skin, religion and other stupid stuff. Why is it like this? Why can't people see beyond their own noses? :banghead:

What an awful story. I'm sorry, but hanging nooses from a tree requires more than a ridiculous suspension. That is laughable. You swear at a teacher, you get suspended. A noose on a tree is much more threatening and hateful and deserves a much harsher punishment, IMO.

It is also pathetic that this thread has had 450 + views yet only 17 comments. Where is the outrage?

I hope that when Mr. Masterj and I decide to have children that they will be judged by what is in their hearts rather than the color of their skin.

What an awful story. I'm sorry, but hanging nooses from a tree requires more than a ridiculous suspension. That is laughable. You swear at a teacher, you get suspended. A noose on a tree is much more threatening and hateful and deserves a much harsher punishment, IMO.

It is also pathetic that this thread has had 450 + views yet only 17 comments. Where is the outrage?

I hope that when Mr. Masterj and I decide to have children that they will be judged by what is in their hearts rather than the color of their skin.
Makes you wonder doesn't it? Well, I am glad to see some posting activity - I had given up hoping for it. See? Never say never! Well, as the case becomes more mainstream, hopefully we can actually get into the meat of this situation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back