GUILTY OH - Malakai Glenn, 18 mos, beaten to death, Cincinnati, 27 June 2007

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
link
CINCINNATI — A judge ruled that a teenager will be tried as an adult for the death of an 18-month old boy he is accused of repeatedly swinging against a wall because he was frustrated with the child's toilet training.
Derris Smith, 18, the live-in boyfriend of the child's mother, has been charged with murder. He was 17 on June 27, when authorities say he delivered the beating that led to Malakai Glenn's death four days later.
The boy's mother, 20-year-old Sasha Glenn, testified Wednesday that the impact of the child hitting the wall left drywall stuck to his head and cracked a wooden door.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

link
CINCINNATI — A judge ruled that a teenager will be tried as an adult for the death of an 18-month old boy he is accused of repeatedly swinging against a wall because he was frustrated with the child's toilet training.
Derris Smith, 18, the live-in boyfriend of the child's mother, has been charged with murder. He was 17 on June 27, when authorities say he delivered the beating that led to Malakai Glenn's death four days later.
The boy's mother, 20-year-old Sasha Glenn, testified Wednesday that the impact of the child hitting the wall left drywall stuck to his head and cracked a wooden door.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

That's sick and yet another example of a mother neglecting her child by leaving them with a live in boyfriend!

Did anyone ever read the case about the little boy that was in foster care and his foster parents were trying desperately to adopt him. He was given back to his bio mother and he was beaten to death with couch pillows by her boyfriend over potty training? I can't remember his name but I cried for hours reading his story and how his foster mom keeps up his grave.

I think they should take people like that and tie their ureters off so they can't pee and let the bladder fill up until it explodes.

With people like that, I just could care less what happens to them, but jail is just simply too easy of a way out for these low lifes!!!!!

That's sick and yet another example of a mother neglecting her child by leaving them with a live in boyfriend!

A blue million mothers leave their kids with live in boyfriends every single day. (I have done it, as well.) Thankfully, their boyfriends aren't loose cannons like this one's was.

WTF? Toilet training an 18 month old? That's ridiculous. That's still a BABY.

Some are ready at 18 mos, others not until they are 3. The child will let you know when they are ready. It can't be forced on them and it varies with each child. My niece was potty trained at 13 months. My sons not until 2, and 2 1/2.
That poor baby! Where do these monsters come from?

Out of six kids in my daycare, I think only two were not yet using the potty by 18 months. The other two were about done by 20 and 24 months, respectively.

I think it depends on how much time you have to spend with them and how much fun you make the training. Certainly getting stressed and angry like this guy was would make it horribly ineffective!

i dont care if the child is 6years old. my son is 8 and still has a accident if he is playing games and wait to long. never fails if he waits till the last second his sister will be in the bathroom. 8 years old and i have to wash his clothes cuz he couldnt pull his self away from a game til the last second. amazingly the idea of bashing his head into the wall never came to me.

i dont care if the child is 6years old. my son is 8 and still has a accident if he is playing games and wait to long. never fails if he waits till the last second his sister will be in the bathroom. 8 years old and i have to wash his clothes cuz he couldnt pull his self away from a game til the last second. amazingly the idea of bashing his head into the wall never came to me.

Exactly Sherri!!
I never worried about potty training.
I have yet to meet any HS student who was not Potty Trained!

I really don't understand why people stress over it??

Did anyone ever read the case about the little boy that was in foster care and his foster parents were trying desperately to adopt him. He was given back to his bio mother and he was beaten to death with couch pillows by her boyfriend over potty training? I can't remember his name but I cried for hours reading his story and how his foster mom keeps up his grave.

That little boy was Bradley McGee- I cried for days over that one too.

That was my first thought. This baby would have no concept of what he was supposed to do. Kids let you know when they are ready. I think boys sometimes take a little longer than girls to toilet train. However, I wouldn't even have thought of trying to train the baby until he was at least 24 months old.

This guy and his girlfriend (the baby's mother) are total idiots. Was the mother there when this happened? If so, she should be charged, too.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070718/NEWS01/307180013

The mother was there, they were sleeping while that baby was sitting on the toilet. Ohio didn't know if they were going to charge the boyfriend as an adult - he was 17 on the day he murdered the baby and has since turned 18. This sickens me. She needs to be charged with murder also. She is pregnant again, by the boyfriend.

I wonder, in the 18 months that baby was alive, if he ever felt true love by anyone. What a sad life he must have had.

Boys take longer to train anyway. A child that actually potty trains before 2 1/2 is very good. My daughter is almost 3...and she is pretty much trained as long as you take her to the bathroom every 2 hours or so. She still wears a pullup at night.

It is extremely rare that a boy potty trains before 2.

Some are ready at 18 mos, others not until they are 3. The child will let you know when they are ready. It can't be forced on them and it varies with each child. My niece was potty trained at 13 months. My sons not until 2, and 2 1/2.
That poor baby! Where do these monsters come from?

How does a 13 month old let you know they are ready? Most 13 month olds have just mastered walking, forget being able to dress themselves, and have a limited amount of words. Are you saying she was wearing no diapers, no pullups, in cotton underwear all day and night with no accidents? Even for a BM? I'm stunned. I was stunned with the 18 month old (which I've never seen with 2 boys and 2 girls of my own and being around many other kids with our families and friends), but 13 months is really stunning. Maybe the difference is in what we all consider "trained".

How does a 13 month old let you know they are ready? Most 13 month olds have just mastered walking, forget being able to dress themselves, and have a limited amount of words. Are you saying she was wearing no diapers, no pullups, in cotton underwear all day and night with no accidents? Even for a BM? I'm stunned. I was stunned with the 18 month old (which I've never seen with 2 boys and 2 girls of my own and being around many other kids with our families and friends), but 13 months is really stunning. Maybe the difference is in what we all consider "trained".

I agree that potty training is best started after the age of two and that boys are usually ready a little later than girls. My first son was potty-trained easily at 2 and 1/2 (nite training came about 6 months later). My second son was potty-trained less easy by 3 (nite training is still not totally complete but still very good - and he is almost 5 now)

I'd say all my Mommy-friends potty training parameters fall within this normal range - with some of the girls going a little earlier, around 2 and a sprinkling of 18-monthers.

CarpeDiem, there is a school of thought (and some books to back it up) going around that says you can train them MUCH earlier - as early as 6 months:eek: , but it's not really what you and I would probably think of as trained. It's more like learning their schedule and making sure you catch the results in the pot.

I know a few mothers who have given this a go, but it never appealked to me. Potty training is about readiness, independence and the child giving his very first BIG gift to his parents (putting his business somewhere they ask him to so they don't have to work so much). My experience has been if you notice the readiness signs and sally forth with consistancy and a low-key attitude, all will go well.

I almost burst into tears when I read the mother's testimony in this case. Ignorance and anger are never a good combination for parents of young children - in this case, an many others we read about here like it - that combination is fatal to an innocent child.

My prayers to this family.

Big enough to make babies, not a clue what to do with them. How disgusting.

Yes...she was FULLY potty trained at 13 months. She started walking a 8 months, and even at 13 months would say "pot". She wore no diapers or training pants. She liked the frilly panties. At 2 years old you would think you were talking to a 5 year old. She was a fast one...later was always a straight A student, and now is in her last year of medical school.
My boys on the other hand didn't even consider wanting to be potty trained at 18 mos when I first tried. When he started taking his diaper off to change himself just shy of 2...I figured now it's time, :D

2nd son wouldn't do it until 2 1/2, mainly because older brother told him only babies wear diapers, not big boys. He was potty trained in a week. They are 22 months apart.

Yes...she was FULLY potty trained at 13 months. She started walking a 8 months, and even at 13 months would say "pot". She wore no diapers or training pants. She liked the frilly panties. At 2 years old you would think you were talking to a 5 year old. She was a fast one...later was always a straight A student, and now is in her last year of medical school.
My boys on the other hand didn't even consider wanting to be potty trained at 18 mos when I first tried. When he started taking his diaper off to change himself just shy of 2...I figured now it's time, :D

2nd son wouldn't do it until 2 1/2, mainly because older brother told him only babies wear diapers, not big boys. He was potty trained in a week. They are 22 months apart.

Gifted children are often reported as having walked very early, talked very early and potty trained very early. (One variable is size, a physically larger or plump baby doesn't walk as early, for example.) Anyway, if you have a large room with a potty on the floor, a child with a long shirt on and no pants, willing to teach them how to rush over and sit quickly... you are well on the way to a potty trained child. It's often the restrictive clothing, the lack of easy access and the lack of TIME to spend to get kids to potty train AS WELL AS some kids just don't feel the sensations as easily. My kids saw all the other kids run to the potty, felt the trickle on their legs and wanted to be like the other kids.... so it was easier.

13 months doesn't surprise me at all. I'm thinking must have been a smaller stature child with a gifted mind and easy access to a toilet with not very restrictive clothing. :)

Sadiemae, seems like your daughter is incredibly smart!! Lucky you! Congrats on raising a soon to be DR.

I have also been told that very few kids potty train at 18 months but one of my co-workers told me his daughter did. She has an older sister and watched her all the time. 18 months is really phenonomenal. My friends twin boys were not potty trained until past 3 1/2. Some just take longer.

I actually got a little lazy and really did not work with Olivia on it until she turned 2. Had we started early though we probably could have done it sooner but she was pretty much 90% trained at 31 or 32 months. It just takes persistence and rewards for when she goes potty lilke a big girl. I found giving her gum helped, since she loved it. Even though I basically had to bribe her, she finally just started going potty on her own. Still will have an accident though if you don't ask her every 2 hours or so if she has to go potty. I have to actually take her, not just ask her or she gets lazy.

Kim

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts