Free Trojan Scanner?

Jovin

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Is there a trojan scanner out there that is ABSOLUTELY FREE for removal as well as detection? I'm so tired of going through all the falsely advertised scanners and finding out they only tell you how many trojans you have, but you have to pay to remove them.

I know I used to have a free trojan scanner and I can't remember the exact site. Any help would be appreciated.

53j41ox.gif

Spybot Search & Destroy. Excellent program. Link

HEE hee :blushing: OK, this thread is not what I was thinking it might be about. :p

HEE hee :blushing: OK, this thread is not what I was thinking it might be about. :p

SHAME ON YOU!
66o8phu.gif
:eek:
4p10i1u.gif

Irishmist,

I know about Spybot, but was thinking that maybe a Trojan scanner would be better. It's not for me, but for a lady here in the building where I live, and she's got a problem and asked me for help. I'll go and check and see if she's got Spybot and run it for her. I know I have it and it's excellent.

I used to have a Trojan Scanner that was absolutely free, and can't find it now. Thanks for your help.

4ktcp6c.gif

Best free Antivirus is AVG Free, totally Free

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/

As mentioned by Irish, Spybot Search & Destory is the best for removing spyware.

An excellent and Free tech support site that will help anyone with anything computer related, FREE. They can recommend the best of everything..you can search on there about how to be secure and if you have spyware or adware I suggest:

Click here to download HJTsetup.exe:
-------------------------------------------

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTSetup.exe

Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Then go to the below site, register (free) and go to the security forum and post your log, they will instruct you on how to get all the yuck off...sometimes the scans dont' get it all!

www.techsupportguy.org

I went there, but thought you had to pay to get the trojans removed. I used to use this and thought it was free, but hasn't it changed now?

I dunno... I've never used it! LOL!

As long as one has a virus protection program, you should be relatively safe... but it's always good to make sure that cookies and temp files are cleared on a regular basis and using programs such as spybot and adaware to keep your PC clean of spyware. Also, a virus scan should be used at least once a month. Even tho your software should be continuously scanning, running a manual / auto scan of all files once a month is added protection.

Best free Antivirus is AVG Free, totally Free

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/

As mentioned by Irish, Spybot Search & Destory is the best for removing spyware.

An excellent and Free tech support site that will help anyone with anything computer related, FREE. They can recommend the best of everything..you can search on there about how to be secure and if you have spyware or adware I suggest:

Click here to download HJTsetup.exe:
-------------------------------------------

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTSetup.exe

Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Then go to the below site, register (free) and go to the security forum and post your log, they will instruct you on how to get all the yuck off...sometimes the scans dont' get it all!

www.techsupportguy.org

While this is a great tool, ALWAYS, ALWAYS be careful of just what kind of things you delete in your registry or anywhere on the pc.

For example, at work I run a VNC program so I can connect to other staff pc's and help troubleshoot their problems. "Hijack This" and other programs consider this a "spyware" or "trojan" when, in fact, it's not. If I deleted anything to do with VNC, I'd end up losing my ability to even use the program. Before deleting anything, make sure the person advising really understands what things are what...

This woman has been on the internet WITH NO VIRUS PROGRAM! Her Norton ran out that had been installed when she bought it, and she just uninstalled it when it came time to renew!

I downloaded AVG for her and it keeps showing the same 15 trojans everyday. I haven't had a lot of time to help her, but it looks like they're in the vault, and yet she says it shows up everyday with the same 15 being detected.

Thanks for all your help...will go through it more thoroughly and help her when I have more time...running out now for the rest of the day. I really appreciate all of your replies.

Thanks,
Jovin

While this is a great tool, ALWAYS, ALWAYS be careful of just what kind of things you delete in your registry or anywhere on the pc.

For example, at work I run a VNC program so I can connect to other staff pc's and help troubleshoot their problems. "Hijack This" and other programs consider this a "spyware" or "trojan" when, in fact, it's not. If I deleted anything to do with VNC, I'd end up losing my ability to even use the program. Before deleting anything, make sure the person advising really understands what things are what...

Exactly corrrect Magic, this is why I said DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required...maybe I should bold that and red, LOL!

The people on the site I referred are trained in HiJack Logs, you can investigate whoever helps you first before trusting what they say. Normally only the trained ones will answer when a HJT log is posted.

I have been a member at techsupportguy since 4/04 and they have never done me wrong yet..they have helped me fix a many a computer, and I have donated if I made money off the fix.

Thanks Magic!

I was hoping someone had invented something that detected 'trojans' on the guys dating our daughters. :blushing:

Heck if such a thing existed I wouldn't know to be happy with the guy (at least they're protected) or not (what the heck does he think he's planning huh!). :eek:

This woman has been on the internet WITH NO VIRUS PROGRAM! Her Norton ran out that had been installed when she bought it, and she just uninstalled it when it came time to renew!

I downloaded AVG for her and it keeps showing the same 15 trojans everyday. I haven't had a lot of time to help her, but it looks like they're in the vault, and yet she says it shows up everyday with the same 15 being detected.

Thanks for all your help...will go through it more thoroughly and help her when I have more time...running out now for the rest of the day. I really appreciate all of your replies.

Thanks,
Jovin

AVG can find them, but they have probably infected her registry, or her back up files, etc.

What I would do is write down the names of the trojans, and research each one. Symantic usually has good info.

There's a forum I've gone to for help many-a-time, but can't think of the name of it. I'll dig around a bit and see if I can't find it. You can usually find a fix for most trojans.

I would run Spybot for sure. It may be able to remove some files that AVG couldn't. Spybot is set up to detect trojans.

ETA: Found it! Castle Cops

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back