CA - Janet Kovacich, 27, Auburn, 8 Sept 1982

ShowerSinger

Reaction score
Sad story, but at least the police are renewing the effort.
There's an article in the Sacbee, but I cannot link it. I've tried! Hopefully, one of ya'll computer savvy types can link it.

"Auburn police have arrested Paul Kovacich Jr. in connection with the 1982 death of his wife, Janet.

Kovacich was taken into custody Tuesday night in Foresthill and booked into the Placer County Jail on a no-bail warrant...."

More at link: http://www.kcra.com/news/9796403/detail.html

I am very, very interested in finding out what evidence they have agains Kovacich, since they have no body. Placer county seems to be on a kick of prosecuting without a body these days...we'll have to see how it all works out.

MagicRose99 said:
"Auburn police have arrested Paul Kovacich Jr. in connection with the 1982 death of his wife, Janet.

Kovacich was taken into custody Tuesday night in Foresthill and booked into the Placer County Jail on a no-bail warrant...."

More at link: http://www.kcra.com/news/9796403/detail.html

That is wonderful. I'll bet every time this case was re-opened that husband held his breath. Beings he was a cop at the time he probably thought he had covered all of his bases.

I hope that this Janet receives justice. Now if we could just get justice for our other Janet in Durham.

Just in case anyone else is interested, I did find out that Kovacich is scheduled to return to court at 1pm October 19th in Dept 13 at the Placer County Superior Court! I'll try and be there!! :D

Niner said:
Just in case anyone else is interested, I did find out that Kovacich is scheduled to return to court at 1pm October 19th in Dept 13 at the Placer County Superior Court! I'll try and be there!! :D
I'm not far from you... I'm in Sacramento! I would love it if you could keep me up to date... I only catch what I can on the local news shows / websites. And Janet does deserve justice!

Just wanted to put up an update... I stopped by my local library and checked that book, Nature Noir, where this case is discussed in one of the chapters! I was curious in what it has to say. Still planning on attending on oct 19th - unless that is just for jury selection - no, that court date is probably just for him to GET a court date to start his trial... hmmm... I'll have to investigate that and see. Maybe I'll just go anyway! LOL! I remember I attended a couple of the court hearings on Garcia, and in one of them, I looked up from scribbling some notes - and he was staring straight at me!! :eek: but I kept my cool... starting straight back at him until he turned away... :snooty: LOL!! I met Christie's mom, dad, and sister at one of these hearings... :blowkiss: hmm... this forum doesn't have a "hug" icon... who do I talk to about this??!!

Cheers everyone - have a good afternoon~ :cool:

Thanks for the update Niner! It's just a sad shame Janet has had to wait all these years for justice...

yes, californiacarrie - he DID get bailed out... next hear for the trial set is February 22nd at 8:30am in Auburn... I probably will not be going to this - but will try to catch the trial when it starts up! At least the opening statements and such!

A former Placer County sheriff's deputy was rearrested and remains held without bail in connection with the suspected murder of his wife 25 years ago, Auburn Police authorities said.

~snip~

Thursday's arrest came just hours after Kovacich's latest court appearance, postponing the next step in Kovacich's trial until next month. Citing Couzens' gag order, an Auburn police spokesperson declined to discuss any circumstances surrounding the latest arrest.

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=25834

Well I want to know!!

Me too, chico!! LOL! :D Okay - I guess the trial date, or another hearing (?) is scheduled for April 10th. I'll try & get to that one - I hope!! :silenced: I DO have a laptop now... and IF the courtroom has wi-fi access - I'm good to go!! I guess I'll find out if the wi-fi works when I get to court! I wonder if they will let me keep my laptop open?? I could make a "press pass" for Websleuths - couldn't I?? An excuse for having my laptop open and typing - ??!!
Anyway - just thought I'd bring this to the current page... :dance:

you know, that is one thing I don't understand - ?? he was arrested once (a grand jury indictment) and posted bail; then we have ANOTHER grand jury indictment - ?? - and he can't post bail - ?? I don't understand... :doh: :confused: can someone explain this? I thought you could only get indicted once for the same crime??

Has anybody ran across the year in which he stopped working for PCSO? I heard from a friend that he used to work at CalExpo as police security, I think as just fair police during the State Fair time. At least that's when she worked a lot with him.

However, I'm VERRRRRYYYY interested in knowing when he retired or left PCSO. I haven't seen that, as I just started searching this case since my friend told me about this case. (I used to live in Placer, and just got word of this arrest.)

TIA!

Also, has anyone come across an article or anything with a photo of Paul?
I can try searching tonight, but thought I'd see if someone has already found one.

OMG.

Thanks again.

There's a pic of him at the link.

It looks likely that human remains sent to a forensic lab for DNA analysis two years ago could be the catalyst that led to Paul Kovacich Jr.'s recent re-arrest.

In March 2005, DNA evidence collected in connection with the 1982 disappearance of Janet Kovacich along with human remains were sent to the Department of Justice's Richmond, Calif. laboratory for forensic analysis. To date no information has been made public about the findings. Due to a gag order no one who has a connection to the case can comment.

Kovacich, a former Placer County deputy, was re-arrested March 22 at the Foresthill home of his girlfriend, Dixie King.

His arrest was the result of a second grand jury indictment, this time alleging special circumstances, which could mean the death penalty if he is found guilty.

According to Deering's Penal Code, special circumstances include: lying in wait, robbery, kidnapping, use of a gun and rape. Two of those may apply in this case.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2007/03/28/news/top_stories/01kovacich28.txt

Thanks for that article with the photo, Chico.

And to think he's sitting in the jail where we had booking privileges at. Surrounded by former co-workers working the jail.

Wow.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back