699 users online (95 members and 604 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

OR - Agate Beach - White Male, 42-50, July 2007 - William Switzer, 33

NEWPORT -- Oregon State Police detectives are asking the public's help in identifying a man whose body was found early Wednesday near Little Creek Cove by a jogger running along the Agate Beach Wayside.
    The man carried no identification. The manner and cause of death remains under investigation. His death however, is described as suspicious.
    Police released the following description.
    Age about 42 to 50.
    Height 5 feet 8 to 5 feet 10
    Weight about 250 to 280 pounds
    Shoulder length graying dark brown hair
    Mustache with about one to two weeks growth of facial hair
    A tattoo on left shoulder of crest design with word "Caomanac"
    Dark colored T-shirt, gray sweat pants and black Converse "Chuck Taylor" high top tennis shoes
    Anyone with information is asked to call Oregon State Police Northern Command Center dispatch at 1-800-452-7888

Quote Originally Posted by Auggie21 View Post
    . . .Mustache with about one to two weeks growth of facial hair
    A tattoo on left shoulder of crest design with word "Caomanac"
    Dark colored T-shirt, gray sweat pants and black Converse "Chuck Taylor" high top tennis shoes
    Anyone with information is asked to call Oregon State Police Northern Command Center dispatch at 1-800-452-7888

I found this old webpage of meeting minutes with the name mentioned. I had to use the google cached page to see it though as the page has since been deleted or moved.

Steinsee, Canton of (Dreiburgen)
    Earnán Caomhánach (new name)
    Name:
    Earnán is found on [O Corrain and Maguire, 1981, p. 89] under the header Ernan.
    Caomhánach is found in [Woulfe, 1967] on p. 234 under the header CAOMANAC.
    NAME APPROVED AND SENT TO LAUREL
    http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=6&gl=us

Original page address was

http://www.sca-caid.org/herald/minutes/1996/min9609.html

I found this on another forum:

"Those dots above the m and the c are significant - in modern spelling it'd be "caomhánach." I'm guessing that he's got an extra letter in there (the &#225 and it was supposed to be caomhnach = "guardian" or "protector".

It's a name . . . Caomhánach = "Kavanagh""

http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com...ac.html#456067

So maybe his last name is Kavanagh? Wierd situation nonetheless.

Cha-ching!! It's his family crest!!

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.f...mily-crest.htm

http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?A=11&Q=310764

Robert Cavanaugh missing from Connecticut.

2006 STATE OF CONNECTICUT
    Department of Public Safety
    1111 Country Club Road
    Middletown, Connecticut 06457 Contact:
    860-685-8230
    pio.dps@po.state.ct.us

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    03/07/06 ------UPDATE-----
    MISSING PERSON INVESTIGATION CONTINUES
    The Connecticut State Police Troop-C has been investigating the disappearance of ROBERT CAVANAUGH since he was reported missing by family members on 12/24/04. CAVANAUGH was last seen in Mansfield and family members reported that he might be in need of medical attention. State Troopers assigned to this investigation have worked many hours contacting family, friends, and neighbors to try to determine the last contact that Cavanaugh had with anyone.
    All surrounding police agencies were advised of the physical description of CAVANAUGH and his vehicle.
    The missing person is identified as:
    CAVANAUGH, Robert DOB: 11/3/53
    Foster Drive
    Mansfield, Ct.
    CAVANAUGH is a white male 5’10” bald shaved head, blue eyes, and possibly has a goatee.

Did you send it in yet? Wow, that was quick folks, good work!

Quote Originally Posted by InterestedNHelping View Post
    Did you send it in yet? Wow, that was quick folks, good work!
    I'm at work, and can't call it in at the moment, can someone else? I'll be able to in a few hours.

Jaded, its your find, your call, not mine in any way, unless you need a caller. Wow, I was shocked how fast this one worked out, excellent work! They should have fingerprint ID immediately on this one.

Agreed - it's Jaded's call.

I've been trying to find info on Robert Cavanaugh, but there's only a few news stories from shortly after he went missing. He definitely fits the age and height. But no info on his family or why he might be missing.

This is a Cavanaugh, but too old it appears to be the guy, but just in case here it is anyway

http://www.nampn.org/cases/cavanaugh_donald_j.html

Since he had the Gaelic version on his tattoo, the name could have been spelled many other ways too. I will check these spellings...

http://home.comcast.net/~subwaymark/kavname.htm
    3. How do you spell KAVANAGH?
    This is a heated debate particularly in the US. Kavanagh can be spelled in the following ways: Kavanagh, Cavanaugh, Cavanagh, Kavanaugh, Cavenaugh, among many other variations. According to 1890 birth records in Ireland the predominate spelling in Ireland out of 274 Kavanagh births, 230 were spelt: K A V A N A G H. The common misconception is that Kavanagh must start with a C and come from the county Cavan. The Kavanagh's do not originate from there. Since Kavanagh is a relatively "new" name, the lack of a Gaelic "K" is not applicable.

I ran both spellings through Doe and NAMPN already, and nothing that I found other than the one. (Being Irish, I am also checking in their missing persons database)

Quote Originally Posted by InterestedNHelping View Post
    Jaded, its your find, your call, not mine in any way, unless you need a caller. Wow, I was shocked how fast this one worked out, excellent work! They should have fingerprint ID immediately on this one.
    I sent an email to the email addy listed with the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I sent an email to the email addy listed with the info.
    Good deal. I have my fingers crossed. This would at least mean answers for one family.

I called, too and the gentleman who answered the phone was kind of terse (for lack of a nicer term to use for his demeanor). He says they are aware that the tattoo means Cavanaugh and websites <-- whatever that means, and that there is a gentleman in CT who is missing with the last name Cavanaugh.

Thank you kind sir, if you are reading - you behaved like a jerk.

Edited to add it was the man who answered the Northern dispatch number in Oregon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast