A Hurricane Hunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate the area Sunday afternoon.

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
A tropical wave a few hundred miles north of Puerto Rico is moving into a region where an upper-level low pressure system is spinning. The two weather systems are producing plenty of clouds and thunderstorms over a wide region of ocean. Wind shear is about 20 knots over the area, so not much development today is expected. However, wind shear is expected to drop to about 15 knots Sunday in the area, which could allow some slow development. Water vapor satellite loops show that the tropical wave has brought copious moisture into the previously dry upper level low, and this low could gradually develop a surface low pressure area as thunderstorm activity continues to moisten the region. This system is currently stationary, but is expected to drift northwards over the next two days. A Hurricane Hunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate the area Sunday afternoon.
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=723&tstamp=200707

I was wondering where the hurricanes all were this year....

However, no offense to anyone on the EAST coast, but I hope it stays out there and AWAY FROM THE GULF!!!

A tropical wave a few hundred miles north of Puerto Rico is moving into a region where an upper-level low pressure system is spinning. The two weather systems are producing plenty of clouds and thunderstorms over a wide region of ocean. Wind shear is about 20 knots over the area, so not much development today is expected. However, wind shear is expected to drop to about 15 knots Sunday in the area, which could allow some slow development. Water vapor satellite loops show that the tropical wave has brought copious moisture into the previously dry upper level low, and this low could gradually develop a surface low pressure area as thunderstorm activity continues to moisten the region. This system is currently stationary, but is expected to drift northwards over the next two days. A Hurricane Hunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate the area Sunday afternoon.
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=723&tstamp=200707

--->>>Hmmm, great experience reading your thread here. Little way down, prediction is first Hurricane August 3. Are you one of the storm predictor people on that the link here?

My daughter flew to Boston yesterday, gone for one week. In my dim memory of digging the web about hurricanes a long time ago. Olde history had a hurrican wiping out a big hunk of Massachusetts.

So watching the political weather is about to turn into hurricane weather watching for folks at least on the east side of America.

What kind of aircraft is a Hurricane Hunter aircraft? HUbby used to have a Cessna two passenger, forgot the make of it.

As for where are the hurricanes, here's a little rhyme I learned as a child that always helps me remember when the prime hurricane season is...and it's coming up!

June...too soon
July...stand by
August...look out, you must!
September...remember
October...all over

That is to say, it is usually over in October, but I'll never forget Hurricane Opal...October 4, 1995.

i don't participate in predictions. A blustery storm yesterday was enough of a forewarning for me. In the next week or so everything here will be packed away, thrown away, checked to make sure it will function without electricity, freezer filled with ice, trees trimmed back, etc. I have not intention of being killed because of flying debrie.

This will be my first hurricane season here so I have no idea what Im in for....but I have friends will let me know when I need to do whatever lol Like go back north for a nice visit

i don't participate in predictions. A blustery storm yesterday was enough of a forewarning for me. In the next week or so everything here will be packed away, thrown away, checked to make sure it will function without electricity, freezer filled with ice, trees trimmed back, etc. I have not intention of being killed because of flying debrie.

Beyond Belief...............GO GIRL! I can't believe that living in the area where you are that there are still people who don't prepare way ahead of time. You never ever know what Mother Nature will bring you.

Better safe than sorry for sure. Keep us posted.

Out here in CA they're trying to prepare for more wildfires. SO dry here....
My daughter and hubby lost about 10 big oaks on their ranch but firemen saved their house by spraying it with foam.. Luckily the house is adobe... but they lost a couple of sheds filled with good stuff.....
Two teenages started the fire with a firecracker!!!!

xxxxxxxxxxoooooo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss:

And here we go again.... This is the first year that we won't be in military housing or a rental. Military housing would not allow us to put boards on the windows or anything like that, and last year we didn't have any problems while we were in the rental. We're not prepared yet though, my husband has to fix the radiator in our truck-and then I think we will go do some shopping to get ready.

If you don't have hurricane shutters, using plywood is not that difficult.

Thank you BB, I have a feeling your insight will be very helpful in the coming months. I just spoke to my husband. Like I said, this will be the first year that we really have to take action. The miltary always just evacuated us. Luckily, we're a bit further from the coast, this areas biggest threat during Katrina was the tornadoes, but south of I-10 was in horrible condition.

Home depot will usually cut the plywood for you. Have them cut to fit inside the window frame. Four big screws/bolts will hold in. Just put the bolts in at an angle, not thru the wood. Have the trees thinned out so the wind can blow through them. A good ice chest filled with ice will usually keep the food frozen for abt 4-5 days. Can be purchased at Walmart for 10=20 dollars. Houses with well water are still livable if you have plenty of water to dump down the toilet. Ugh. That was the worse part. I think I am going to go buy a child pool and fill it up with water this year.

LOL I wish we had all that time to prepare for tornados here! If we are lucky...we get 15 minutes. I would love nothing better than to have days to "batten down the hatches" and move to a safer location....like Las Vegas for a few days!

SS-you're right. I lived in TX for most of my life, and I realized when we moved here that we would be fortunate to have more time to prepare.
I think our trees will be good-we just moved here and the builders thinned the existing trees before we moved in. Our house is pre-wired for a generator, but we just bought the house 3 weeks ago and haven't been able to get the money together for a generator yet. We're not on well water, but we're gonna stock up on water and supplies tonight. I know there is no immediate threat yet, but I don't want to be one of those people crying on the news because the stores are out of batteries.

It is true, you do. What I find utterly ridiculous is that while you do have tornados...you do NOT have Tornado Warning Sirens!! My sister was in Daytona Beach when they had those tornados 30 miles to the south. Until then...I had no clue you guys didn't have any warning system in place!
All radio stations, tv stations give plenty of warning of tornadoes. However, businesses, schools, etc. really don't do anything to prepare for them. In malls its business as usual. Its really scary because those shells housing businesses are worthless.

June...too soon
July...stand by
August...look out, you must!
September...remember
October...all over

That is to say, it is usually over in October, but I'll never forget Hurricane Opal...October 4, 1995.

So true! Hurricane Opal was an October hurricane that did massive damage. I've never seen anything like it in the Fort Walton Beach area before ... and I've lived here my entire life. :eek:

The same with the Treasure Coast, Frances and Jean knocked the life out of us. I have been here since 1969, this place looked like a war zone after those hurricanes hit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back