1048 users online (215 members and 833 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Little Miss Sunshine

Anyone happen to see this movie? I did this weekend and the pageant segment with the joker like smiles and the miniature "women" doing their pageant thing was a bit more than anyone who was watching with me could bear. I will say the comments that were being made just about the smiles alone were hilarious for a while, but in the end we all agreed that the children were being used and it was just sad. I guess the person who wrote the script thought so too, because he has a gentlemen who "signs" the children up say "this is my last pageant, these people are crazy".

Is "Little Miss Sunshine" at a theater or on television or DVD? (I lead a sheltered life).

I was wondering the same thing.....where I can get a hold of this thing
    I did a search on it, this is the link... http://www.foxsearchlight.com/littlemisssunshine/
    if you want to buy it though, amazon has it a bit cheaper...

Quote Originally Posted by BOESP View Post
    Is "Little Miss Sunshine" at a theater or on television or DVD? (I lead a sheltered life).
    It was on HBO. It is movie that was made this year and Alan Arkin won for best supporting actor.

In the Federal Witness Protection Program
    "Little Miss Sunshine" was a movie out last year. It's available on DVD and Video rental. It won an Ocsar for Alan Arkin and a nomination for it's 10-year old star, Abigail Breslin. She was terrific as a homely but hopeful little girl in the world of pageants. It also stars Toni Collette (the Sixth Sense) and Steve Carrell (The Office). It's well worth seeing, and though it may not sound like it, it is often hilarious.
    THIS time, we get it RIGHT!

This post is my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy or take it anywhere else.

DVD - I've seen it.

Yeah, the pagent sections - I understand they used real pagent people. They're scary - the parents, and the children doing all these flirty, sexual moves without knowing why.

It's funny, because all the pagent people are so aghast at the act - although it's only slightly more blatant than the other children.

netflix has it too,I just checked.
    something to ponder:

When the corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and the mortal have put on immortality, then shall we be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

O death, where [is] thy sting? O grave, where [is] thy victory?

The sting of death [is] sin; and the strength of sin [is] the law.
    But thanks [be] to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
    1 Corinthians 15:54-57

It should have been called "Little Miss JonBenet"...because this movie painted a picture of the whole pageant process, from the little girl to her dysfunctional family. Abigail Breslin appeared to look homely, her costumes were hideous...especially the bathing suit. Abigails talent section was dancing. I don't want to give the movie away but it became clear to me what the writer felt about child pageants.

You can rent it on DVD and it's on HBO.
    ...We have said to ourselves, look, there is never going to be a victory in this, there is no victory...John Ramsey: 6/24/98

ROFL !! It was hilarious ! and that dad...was he just like Patsy or what? ! win,win WIN !
    something to ponder:

When the corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and the mortal have put on immortality, then shall we be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

But thanks [be] to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

I meant to add,I thought the dad was just as annoying as I would think Patsy probably was.
    something to ponder:

Quote Originally Posted by Details View Post
    DVD - I've seen it.

Yeah, the pagent sections - I understand they used real pagent people. They're scary - the parents, and the children doing all these flirty, sexual moves without knowing why.

It's funny, because all the pagent people are so aghast at the act - although it's only slightly more blatant than the other children.
    The little Filipino girl scared the $h*# out of me.

she looked like a little baby doll dressed up to be a 25 YO. scary anyone would do that to a child.were the kids real pageant participants too?
    something to ponder:

Quote Originally Posted by JMO8778 View Post
    she looked like a little baby doll dressed up to be a 25 YO. scary anyone would do that to a child.were the kids real pageant participants too?
    According to my husband, according to the extras - yes. They just called them up, they came with all their makeup, wardrobes, etc.

I loved Miss Sunshine, the end was HILARIOUS!!! LOL
    The Grandfather and little girl were great in it.
    yes, the "pageant" kids came out as shallow and artifical but Olive was a breath of fresh air
    I HATE to see little girls with the spray teased "big" hair and that phoney practiced way of walking UGGG!
    Not to mention all the makeup

another funny subtle thing in the movie:
    MC: where is your Grandfather?
    Olive: in the trunk of the car
    muwahahaha do I have a weird sense of humor? I just picked up on so many funny things in the movie. Dont want to give away anymore for those who havent seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by feddup View Post
    I loved Miss Sunshine, the end was HILARIOUS!!! LOL
    The Grandfather and little girl were great in it.
    yes, the "pageant" kids came out as shallow and artifical but Olive was a breath of fresh air
    I HATE to see little girls with the spray teased "big" hair and that phoney practiced way of walking UGGG!
    Not to mention all the makeup
    IA,I don't see why they couldn't at least wait till the late teen yrs to start w the makeup,adult hairstyles,costumes and all...bf that,concentrating on talent,exercise,being healthy,etc., should be the main focus,IMO,if they're going for being a pageant winner.But then I'm guessing most have Nedra's 'if you don't start them early they fall miserably behind' attitude.
    something to ponder:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast